The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by Clash »

phpBB [video]

Some great footage here thats worth a look. I had never seen Charlie George's goal from that angle before. You can see a slight (and maybe crucial) deflection.

Reason for positing this though is that I think Graham is the scorer of the equaliser (at 5.39). As far as Im aware Graham still claims he got a touch. And if you look at the speed the ball is going at when it crosses the line compared to what Eddie Kelly initially gets on it then it looks like it has picked up a bit of speed that can only come from Graham making contact.

Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill didnt really prove otherwise on their ITV analysis ... the ball not deviating doesnt mean it wasnt touched ... so for that goal to be taken away from GG is harsh.

I dont want to split the fan base further by bringing up this controversy but justice needs to be done even if it was 46 years ago :roll: :D .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm
phpBB [video]

Some great footage here thats worth a look. I had never seen Charlie George's goal from that angle before. You can see a slight (and maybe crucial) deflection.

Reason for positing this though is that I think Graham is the scorer of the equaliser (at 5.39). As far as Im aware Graham still claims he got a touch. And if you look at the speed the ball is going at when it crosses the line compared to what Eddie Kelly initially gets on it then it looks like it has picked up a bit of speed that can only come from Graham making contact.

Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill didnt really prove otherwise on their ITV analysis ... the ball not deviating doesnt mean it wasnt touched ... so for that goal to be taken away from GG is harsh.

I dont want to split the fan base further by bringing up this controversy but justice needs to be done even if it was 46 years ago :roll: :D .
:lol: :lol:

For me it was GG's goal all day long. As you say the ball clearly picks up pace and that could only happen if GG had made contact. :barscarf: 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm
phpBB [video]

Thanks for posting that Clash - not seen that footage before, we had plenty of chances to win the match in. Normal time.
Commmentry is a tad annoying but no worse than John “and I have to say” Motson

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:barscarf: After seeing Wenger turning up at the WHU game last night I wondered about George Graham, the man that built the defensive foundations of Wengers early success at Arsenal.

He's 78 now, 5 years older than Wenger, I know he has arthritis, but was wondering if he still attends some games, he seems to have retired from TV pundit work but still does the odd newspaper interview.

So I'm bumping up this thread just to pay respect to the legendary George Graham, who won 3 trophies as a player for Arsenal & 6 trophies as a manager. :barscarf: 3 League Titles & 2 European Cups included. :barscarf:

There's only one George Graham! :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:16 pm
:barscarf: After seeing Wenger turning up at the WHU game last night I wondered about George Graham, the man that built the defensive foundations of Wengers early success at Arsenal.

He's 78 now, 5 years older than Wenger, I know he has arthritis, but was wondering if he still attends some games, he seems to have retired from TV pundit work but still does the odd newspaper interview.

So I'm bumping up this thread just to pay respect to the legendary George Graham, who won 3 trophies as a player for Arsenal & 6 trophies as a manager. :barscarf: 3 League Titles & 2 European Cups included. :barscarf:

Oh man you frightened the living shit out me. This thread has sat there quietly for so long that when I saw it bumped I thought oh fuck no GG has passed away or something. :(

I love GG. Legendary Arsenal man. 8) 8) 8)

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:16 pm

Love George to bits, he is sadly looking his age now :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:26 pm

He still got his dapper style & there's not much timber on him, I reckon he looks fine for his age! :barscarf:

https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/arti ... road-salon

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:25 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:

He still got his dapper style & there's not much timber on him, I reckon he looks fine for his age! :barscarf:

I guess it’s just the shock of not seeing him now, howI remember him - gorgeous George

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:

Still looking dapper as ever! I loved that about George and his teams. The players never showed up to games in tracksuits (that I can recall anyway!). It was always the club blazer and slacks. Just added to that concept of "classy" Arsenal.

Even though I loved and enjoyed that first decade under Arsene, my favourite time as a Gooner is still GG's tenure as manager.

It still sickens me the way he was railroaded and scapegoated for something almost every manager was doing back then, something other high profile managers like Cloughie at Forest and Rednose Mudder at the manc filth especially got away with. :x

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

G G was and always will be "Class". end of.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Stuart L (2) wrote:

Nice of James Bolam to open that salon!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Created the team that won 4 league titles but will only ever be credited with two.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

SteveO from 2017 ::-- people lauding GG for all he did for the club (and rightly so by the way) but if Arsenal dared to appoint a manager these days who didn't come with extensive experience of managing in Europe, people would be up in arms.

Arteta anyone ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:39 am
SteveO from 2017 ::-- people lauding GG for all he did for the club (and rightly so by the way) but if Arsenal dared to appoint a manager these days who didn't come with extensive experience of managing in Europe, people would be up in arms.

Arteta anyone ?
In fairness alot of us were up in arms. I have no hesitation in admitting I did not want him at all, even though I rated him as a superb DM for us for two seasons until his legs went.

I still do not buy into him as a top manager - yet anyway.

But this season, after his disastrous end to last season, he has so far done brilliantly. But I also am pragmatic and realistic enough to know part of that is down to other top teams underperforming and going through transition etc. That's not me slagging off Martinez-Lite or denigrating what he's done, it's just the facts.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:43 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:39 am

Arteta anyone ?
In fairness alot of us were up in arms. I have no hesitation in admitting I did not want him at all, even though I rated him as a superb DM for us for two seasons until his legs went.

I still do not buy into him as a top manager - yet anyway.

But this season, after his disastrous end to last season, he has so far done brilliantly. But I also am pragmatic and realistic enough to know part of that is down to other top teams underperforming and going through transition etc. That's not me slagging off Martinez-Lite or denigrating what he's done, it's just the facts.
I agree that it's too soon to call Arteta a top manager.
I do think you are being a bit harsh in crediting his success to other clubs being in transition.
If that's the case, then the mousers success was down to utd and ourselves being in transition.
I think the number of games won so far this season is in no way connected to other clubs in transition or anything else other than ourselves playing at a level we haven't seen since the early wenger era.
Can we sustain it? I really hope so and I'm becoming more convinced that we could be witnessing the beginning of a great new chapter in the club's history.
In saying that, I'm sure I've put the jinx on us :cry:
2-0 to Brighton and the start of a 5 game losing streak :lol: