The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
EC3

Re: The George Graham Man-Love Thread

Post by EC3 »

Me and a few friends bumped into George at Plough Lane on the opening day of the season, must of been around 1989.

My mate says to George "George we want the top midfield out today, Davis, Thomas and Rocastle"

George replied "son what do you do for a living?"

Mate replied "work in a bank"

"Well son, I'll pick the team and you can count the money"

Remember bumping into George in Sardinia at the England v Holland game at the 1990 World Cup. Had a good laugh with him.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Almunia is a clown wrote:Image
This 8)

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

I used to be plod in the Gibraltar Police. I was in uniform working at the Airport it was 91 or 92 i cant remember. I go into the little news agents and i am looking at a paper. Im suddenly aware of a bloke standing next to me looking at a paper as well. I look at him and its George, he smiles and says " Alright?" Me like a star struck kid " Good! and you? " Fine" he replies, and was joined by Wrightie, Merse, and David Seaman. Players everywhere in the shop. Must have been some training camp thing or a break in Spain. Cannot believe i didnt ask for autographs. ...Twat :banghead:

Sean

Re: George Graham

Post by Sean »

It would be nice if the other :moderator: vanity thread :moderator: could be merged with this one :mrgreen:
supergeorgegraham wrote:What's George doing now ?
Not sure, mate. He was a pundit on Sky for a while. I assume he's fully retired now.

This is classic:
:mrgreen: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Merged.

And unlike when Quartz used to merge threads, neither of them disappeared! :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wonderful image of the man. 8) 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sadly he also knew how to turn us from champions to mid table chumps playing absolutely dross football in the space of 3 years too !

He knew......just like Arsene knew. Past tense

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The last European trophy we won...yes...read that again. I wonder how a GG Arsenal vs AW Arsenal would play out now? For a start Wenger's Arsenal wouldn't have a GK or defence. From Saturday s legends game Seaman, Nutty, Keown, Parlour and Limpar with Bould and Dixon on warm up duty definitely Graham's Arsenal. Add to that list Gary Lewin and Bob Wilson. Even at their age it'll be interesting game.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just finishing Perry Groves' book and one of the things that comes across throughout his time at The Arsenal was how nearly all of the players (especially the strikers) lived in fear of being dropped, and that fear motivated and drove them on to work harder and be better. If for example Groves and Quinn started and hadn't gotten a few shots on target in the first half, then GG would say to them at half time "You two - you have five minutes to show me something or I'm pulling you" and he would then yank one of them out of there and bring on Smudge.

GG let the players know as well that he was constantly looking to improve the squad and bring in better players in each position. Again Groves reckons it made the players work harder and motivated them.

Did that "kill" any of them? :rubchin:

No. No, it did not, Arsene. It did not "kill" any of them. :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Also, being dropped could mean ending up in the reserves for a spell. Groves had a couple of real stinkers (on more than one occasion! :lol: ) and even though the team won the games GG told him he was shit and threw him in the reserves. Groves said the humiliation and fear of being released was a huge motivator. :lol:

shu

Post by shu »

Back in about 1992 i got invited in at Highbury as a guest of the referee ,anyway after the game everyone is in the Marble Hall and GG walks thro , lots of well done George etc , as he went up the stairs my Uncle said ask him for a pic , anyway he was halfway up and risking looking like a twat , i shouted up 'George any chance of a picture please' he turned round came down and said sure son . My mum still has the framed picture at home . Pure class. :)

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

I started taking my 10 year old daughter to Highbury with me beginning of 1988/89 season. She was a massive George Graham fan and partway through the season a red top newspaper printed a story that our George was being approached by a rival 1st Div club (Forest i think)
Carrie was devastated at the thought that George might leave and sent him a letter written by herself in 10 year old writing style begging him to stay at the Arsenal.
I thought no more of it until about 1 week later when a letter arrived addressed to my daughter written and signed by George stating that he was fully focused concentrating on our season and thanking her for her kind words and support and enclosed a team photo signed by the whole first team squad.
Class.....those where the days when we were a huge club that managed to retain its Family feel and sense of belonging . No fighting amongst ourselves in those days .
George epitomized the Arsenal way and what we stood for and the reasons why all our rivals feared and envied us. A legend.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Great photo :barscarf:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

bobbybigb wrote:I started taking my 10 year old daughter to Highbury with me beginning of 1988/89 season. She was a massive George Graham fan and partway through the season a red top newspaper printed a story that our George was being approached by a rival 1st Div club (Forest i think)
Carrie was devastated at the thought that George might leave and sent him a letter written by herself in 10 year old writing style begging him to stay at the Arsenal.
I thought no more of it until about 1 week later when a letter arrived addressed to my daughter written and signed by George stating that he was fully focused concentrating on our season and thanking her for her kind words and support and enclosed a team photo signed by the whole first team squad.
Class.....those where the days when we were a huge club that managed to retain its Family feel and sense of belonging . No fighting amongst ourselves in those days .
George epitomized the Arsenal way and what we stood for and the reasons why all our rivals feared and envied us. A legend.
That's a great story mate. As you say George Graham exuded class.

Can't imagine the current manager doing anything like that.