Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:I have a collection of Arsenal books, including Seaman's autobiography. I obviously read it but cannot remember anything about it. Which says a lot..Thought Merson's first book was an effort to gain pity and a need to be loved. Didn't get his second..Best Arsenal autobiography I have read is Frank McLintock's true grit. The iconic Arsenal from the Heart is another gem, different era but written proof that we were The Arsenal and we had class.
Thought Perry Groves' book was childish but in fairnes it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
I have Wright's first book plus an unofficial biography written by Rick Granwell.
I loved Wright as a player and continued to long after he left the club. But his comments about the banner and the fans carrying it after the Cup replay in Hull left a sour taste.
There were a lot of anecdotes in Perry's book that reminded me of that Alan Partridge episode where every anecdote he tells in his book ends with "needless to say, I had the last laugh". :lol:

Made Perry seem a bit of a childish bitter little bastard at times. :|
He made a comment that he and another player (can't remember who) struggled to stifle their laughs at Seaman following the FA Cup semi V the Scum in 1991. Seaman was distraught after the defeat and blamed his own uncharacteristic mistakes for it..Thought that was out of order..

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:I have a collection of Arsenal books, including Seaman's autobiography. I obviously read it but cannot remember anything about it. Which says a lot..Thought Merson's first book was an effort to gain pity and a need to be loved. Didn't get his second..Best Arsenal autobiography I have read is Frank McLintock's true grit. The iconic Arsenal from the Heart is another gem, different era but written proof that we were The Arsenal and we had class.
Thought Perry Groves' book was childish but in fairnes it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
I have Wright's first book plus an unofficial biography written by Rick Granwell.
I loved Wright as a player and continued to long after he left the club. But his comments about the banner and the fans carrying it after the Cup replay in Hull left a sour taste.
A few weeks back on another thread you recommended Frank McLintocks book to me. As a result I was given a copy at Christmas and am now halfway through it (*) and really enjoying it. Definitely one of the best ones I've read so thanks for the recommendation mate.

(*) I just started it, I'm not a slow reader :)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Agreed on McLintock's book - it's a good'un.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:Agreed on McLintock's book - it's a good'un.
The film is quite good too - they got the bandy legged walk just right :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I bought McLintocks book a few years ago from a bookshop in London for a few quid got home and turned over the first page and saw it had been signed by him too, don't think the shop knew as it was so cheap.... Was well happy