Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

Post by nut flush gooner »

Sounds like one of those books that could be a good read. Wrighty had a troubled childhood, ended up in prison and as we know made it into top flight football at a relatively old age.

Think it will be as good as TA's autobiography. Hope he's doing a signing.

augie

Re: Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

Post by augie »

Assume it will be full of short sentences and one syllable words ?

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:Assume it will be full of short sentences and one syllable words ?
You saying wrighty is thick? Harsh.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:Assume it will be full of short sentences and one syllable words ?
You saying wrighty is thick? Harsh.

Harsh but true - on the pitch he was a sharp as a tack, but listen to him talking off the pitch and you will hear a guy that is thick as horseshit :oops:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I wonder how many times he'll say 'in respects of' :lol:

It'll probably be a good read. It was a much more honest and down-to-earth time to be a footballer. I'd rather read Wrighty and Adams than Walcott or some other no-mark in their 20s writing about their sterile/over-paid life.

This will be Wrighty's second bio, with 'Mr. Wright' coming out in 1996.

Book signing at Waterstones in London :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Hope this one is better than "Mr Wright" was. That was not a great read tbh. :|

Love Wrighty even though he often puts his foot in his mouth as a pundit. As a player he was one of our greatest ever (maybe greatest) pure "strikers". Bergkamp and Henry were better footballers but Wrighty was a pure finisher. Only other striker I've seen with even near Wrighty's level of instinct in front of goal was Shearer and I still rate Wrighty higher. You gave Wrighty a half chance he would finish.

There's a great interview someone posted on here before where he talks about his past, his upbringing and he comes across as a very humble and decent bloke.

nut flush gooner

I am going to buy it and think it will be a good read. Tony Adams biography was top class and I expect this to be of the same ilk.

It also gives me a chance to reminisce of a time when the players knew what it meant to represent "The Arsenal".
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:I am going to buy it and think it will be a good read. Tony Adams biography was top class and I expect this to be of the same ilk.
Adams' was a good read. Hope this one is too. I'll be buying it either way. Love reading about The Arsenal in general and the GG / early Wenger eras in particular.

I recently bought off Amazon John Spurling's "Highbury- The History of Arsenal in N5" and "Rebels for the Cause: The Alternative History of Arsenal Football Club" and Perry Groves' autobiography. Perry's was a good read and I'm hoping Spurling's two books will be likewise.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:I am going to buy it and think it will be a good read. Tony Adams biography was top class and I expect this to be of the same ilk.

It also gives me a chance to reminisce of a time when the players knew what it meant to represent "the Arsenal".
Capitalise that "t" please old boy. :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:I wonder how many times he'll say 'in respects of' :lol:

It'll probably be a good read. It was a much more honest and down-to-earth time to be a footballer. I'd rather read Wrighty and Adams than Walcott or some other no-mark in their 20s writing about their sterile/over-paid life.

This will be Wrighty's second bio, with 'Mr. Wright' coming out in 1996.

Book signing at Waterstones in London :barscarf:
That front cover photo is pants though isn't it? Of all the great on-field and trophy-holding photos of Wrighty that's the best they could come up with? :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Hope this one is better than "Mr Wright" was. That was not a great read tbh. :|

Love Wrighty even though he often puts his foot in his mouth as a pundit. As a player he was one of our greatest ever (maybe greatest) pure "strikers". Bergkamp and Henry were better footballers but Wrighty was a pure finisher. Only other striker I've seen with even near Wrighty's level of instinct in front of goal was Shearer and I still rate Wrighty higher. You gave Wrighty a half chance he would finish.

There's a great interview someone posted on here before where he talks about his past, his upbringing and he comes across as a very humble and decent bloke.

There's still that 30 minute prog of him on YouTube as well - again he comes across as having had a bit of a shyte childhood (his father was something of a so and so) but was and still is a humble, family orientated fella who adores his wife and kids.

I will buy and read it. As you say DB a 'Striker' in every sense of the word...it cannot be taught - it is innate and he had it from day one. :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:

It also gives me a chance to reminisce of a time when the players knew what it meant to represent "the Arsenal".
It's a bit hard trying to post on here when I am sat in the hairdressers with a face full of ample bosom (and yes it was a female!) every 5 seconds, whilst getting my locks snipped. Anyway, corrected !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

It's a bit hard trying to post on here when I am sat in the hairdressers with a face full of ample bosom (and yes it was a female!) every 5 seconds, whilst getting my locks snipped. Anyway, corrected !
:lol:

You go to a hairdresser to get a hair cut??!! :shock:

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes. Tit's, Coffee, Croissants and Wifi all thrown in. It's one of my last guilty pleasures.

8) 8) 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes. Tit's, Coffee, Croissants and Wifi all thrown in. It's one of my last guilty pleasures.

8) 8) 8)
:lol: :lol:

Damn. I might have to reassess my entire lifestyle. :shock:

:wink: