Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Topside Northbank

Re: Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

Post by Topside Northbank »

Sure it will be a decent read.

Even forgetting the fact the fella was a goal scoring machine...... Wrighty actually gave a f**k,horrible to play against and committed to the cause,hated losing.

I can only imagine what the likes of him TA etc would of made of some of the younger players today (all clubs) opposition joking,hugging each other in the tunnel before games,swapping shirts at half time etc :cussing:

Midz

Post by Midz »

While on the subject of books has anyone read Ray Parlours?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sean wrote:I wonder how many times he'll say 'in respects of' :lol:

It'll probably be a good read. It was a much more honest and down-to-earth time to be a footballer. I'd rather read Wrighty and Adams than Walcott or some other no-mark in their 20s writing about their sterile/over-paid life.

This will be Wrighty's second bio, with 'Mr. Wright' coming out in 1996.

Book signing at Waterstones in London :barscarf:
That front cover photo is pants though isn't it? Of all the great on-field and trophy-holding photos of Wrighty that's the best they could come up with? :|
I think that is Boa Morte............Wrighty had a gold tooth

. :rubchin:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sean wrote:I wonder how many times he'll say 'in respects of' :lol:

It'll probably be a good read. It was a much more honest and down-to-earth time to be a footballer. I'd rather read Wrighty and Adams than Walcott or some other no-mark in their 20s writing about their sterile/over-paid life.

This will be Wrighty's second bio, with 'Mr. Wright' coming out in 1996.

Book signing at Waterstones in London :barscarf:
That front cover photo is pants though isn't it? Of all the great on-field and trophy-holding photos of Wrighty that's the best they could come up with? :|
I think that is Boa Morte............Wrighty had a gold tooth

. :rubchin:
Looks like the gold tooth has been tippexed over very badly.....

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I like Wrighty, especially when he tries to be diplomatic.
I'd love to read Tony Adams, The Sober Years...I reckon that'll be a storming book.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Midz wrote:While on the subject of books has anyone read Ray Parlours?

Yes...it's OK..a nice read but nothing explosive in it..

Sean

Post by Sean »

DB10GOONER wrote:That front cover photo is pants though isn't it? Of all the great on-field and trophy-holding photos of Wrighty that's the best they could come up with? :|
Yeah. His Harry Potter glasses do him no favours :lol:

Much prefer this:

8)
OneBardGooner wrote:There's still that 30 minute prog of him on YouTube as well - again he comes across as having had a bit of a shyte childhood (his father was something of a so and so) but was and still is a humble, family orientated fella who adores his wife and kids.

I will buy and read it. As you say DB a 'Striker' in every sense of the word...it cannot be taught - it is innate and he had it from day one. :barscarf:
I seen that documentary on ITV4. Very good, despite the pretentious use of black and white.

Sad to hear he had a crap upbringing. His wanker step-dad beating him if he dared to face the TV when Match of the Day was on. Then in one of the only times he met his real dad, he waited five hours so he could buy him some football boots or something :(

When you consider he raised Shaun (who was not his own) and did so well with his other kids, it's a testament to the man. It was also sad how no fucker would give him a chance until Palace came calling when he was 22. One of England's greatest strikers could have ended up a plasterer for his entire working life. No wonder the man had so much desire on a football pitch. 'Where do I sign?' indeed.

Oh for an IW8 in today's team :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Sean wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:That front cover photo is pants though isn't it? Of all the great on-field and trophy-holding photos of Wrighty that's the best they could come up with? :|
Yeah. His Harry Potter glasses do him no favours :lol:

Much prefer this:

8)
OneBardGooner wrote:There's still that 30 minute prog of him on YouTube as well - again he comes across as having had a bit of a shyte childhood (his father was something of a so and so) but was and still is a humble, family orientated fella who adores his wife and kids.

I will buy and read it. As you say DB a 'Striker' in every sense of the word...it cannot be taught - it is innate and he had it from day one. :barscarf:
I seen that documentary on ITV4. Very good, despite the pretentious use of black and white.

Sad to hear he had a crap upbringing. His wanker step-dad beating him if he dared to face the TV when Match of the Day was on. Then in one of the only times he met his real dad, he waited five hours so he could buy him some football boots or something :(

When you consider he raised Shaun (who was not his own) and did so well with his other kids, it's a testament to the man. It was also sad how no fucker would give him a chance until Palace came calling when he was 22. One of England's greatest strikers could have ended up a plasterer for his entire working life. No wonder the man had so much desire on a football pitch. 'Where do I sign?' indeed.

Oh for an IW8 in today's team :barscarf:

Totally agree. I think a lot of fans memories of Wrighty have been tarnished by his stance on all things Arsenal and AW.

For me you cannot take away his contribution to the club. Remember he was part of a declining team that wasn't good enough to win the league by the time GG left. Despite that he scored goals for fun.

If he played his full career at Arsenal he may well still be our top goal scorer. A very humble man who wasn't a gooner before he joined, but he understood what it means to represent the club. I remember seeing him at both cup finals in recent years with his Arsenal scarf, despite his media commitments he still had time for us when we chanted his name. You cannot knock that, Wrighty is an Arsenal great, period.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

You can't say he isn't one of us watching this. Top bloke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSlaDN3wlg

Sean

Post by Sean »

nut flush gooner wrote:Totally agree. I think a lot of fans memories of Wrighty have been tarnished by his stance on all things Arsenal and AW.

For me you cannot take away his contribution to the club. Remember he was part of a declining team that wasn't good enough to win the league by the time GG left. Despite that he scored goals for fun.

If he played his full career at Arsenal he may well still be our top goal scorer. A very humble man who wasn't a gooner before he joined, but he understood what it means to represent the club. I remember seeing him at both cup finals in recent years with his Arsenal scarf, despite his media commitments he still had time for us when we chanted his name. You cannot knock that, Wrighty is an Arsenal great, period.
Absolutely. What really surprised me about him is that he grew up a Millwall fan :shock: Which is surprising given his later Palace connections and Millwall's... reputation...

I think some 'blame' Wright for us turning into a cup side right after GG's title successes. We became a route one side who bypassed the midfield completely, because Wright was so lethal. It became all about him, to the detriment of the team. We couldn't score without him and he was always getting suspended. He did become one of us though and I do wish he was in this current side, as all we really need is a lethal finisher and goal poacher. His personality is much needed in these sterile, silent dressing rooms of the Cashburton-era.

It is a shame he's such a flip-flopper on the Wenger issue, despite TOF's treatment of him (Wembley 98 snub, etc). It did seem that IW8 was coming down on our side of the fence, but has disappointingly backed TOF in recent years when TOF's failures were already beyond the pale. It is nice to see him mature as a pundit after his earlier, wilder days and I think he found his calling with doing radio shows, talking with football fans. It was sad to hear a couple of years back that he regrets not going into coaching much sooner - focusing on his media career instead. Why the fuck did he coach the strikers at Franchise FC and not at Arsenal? We all know the reason for that, given TOF's treatment of ex-players. His love for the game is pure.

It's about time someone put Wrighty's goals on YouTube:

phpBB [video]

8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A lot of people on here seem to get very bent out of shape about ex-players not slating Wenger in the press. I don't get that at all. I've always said it, I don't expect these players to publicly have a go at the man they view as making their careers very successful both in trophies and money earned. They never will turn on him. They probably meet him at numerous events every season, many probably are still in touch with him regularly. Most probably consider him either a friend or a father figure. The few he fell out with (eg Vieira and Bergkamp) are too clever to dirty their bib with the club publicly as you never know when they might want to get back involved professionally with the club.

Also, I don't believe that ex-players publicly turning on him would have any effect on Wenger's tenure. He is there until he doesn't want to be there any longer. That is the simple truth. And THAT particular failing is down to the owners. So many people on here are so wrapped up in their Wenger-hate they simply give the Wigged bastard and Gazidis a free pass, because they think to blame anyone except for Wenger is to somehow be seen as pro-Wenger - which is fucking ludicrous beyond belief. :roll:

Any other set of Owners would have sacked Wenger years ago. Ours never will.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to get rid of Wenger, but equally we need to get rid of Kroenke and Gazidis and the entire Board.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:You can't say he isn't one of us watching this. Top bloke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSlaDN3wlg
Love wrighty 8) but that interview turns into a Wenger love in at the end :banghead:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Will keep this one for poolside reading next summer hols
I still have greatest respect for wrighty despite his defence of Wenger

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ian Wright! Wright! Wright!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I Love Wrighty Absolute Legend - I know he says some daft things occasionally - But, He IS and Always Will Be an Arsenal Legend.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner wrote:Ian Wright! Wright! Wright!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I Love Wrighty Absolute Legend - I know he says some daft things occasionally - But, He IS and Always Will Be an Arsenal Legend.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Top one alway brings a tear to my eye

Love the man