Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: Ian Wright Autobiography - My Life in Football

Post by northbank123 »

Has always and will always be my favourite player.

Don't make them like him any more.

philgooner

Post by philgooner »

Wrighty wears his heart on his sleeve and you can see the passion (and anguish) when he's on the box, love that guy! Will defo buy a copy.

REB

Post by REB »

wasnt a great book tbh, as for ray parlours , well there was a good reason it was in the membership packs , it was shit.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

philgooner wrote:Wrighty wears his heart on his sleeve and you can see the passion (and anguish) when he's on the box, love that guy! Will defo buy a copy.
Some people have a pop at Wrighty for his comments , but I would.far rather he say what he feels, than the sanitised official mouthpieces .
Loved the guy when he played for us, he clearly still loves the club,

Was there for most of.his special.goals, juggle chip over Southall, last min winner at the Lane, away 40 yarder v Swindon, hat trick last day of the season (and Northbank too ) as Philgooner said his passion for the game and the club was overwhelming.
Last edited by StuartL on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I read it recently and thought it was decent. He writes about Rioch being too small-time for Arsenal and a bit of a bully. I liked the way he talked about how amazing it was to play with Bergkamp and how he was just in awe of him. He makes some good points about agents being absolute *word censored* and how he went from playing Sunday morning football- not even non-league Saturday level- to playing for England in just a few years.
There's also the now obligatory Wenger love-in but he admits that this was 20 years ago and revolutionary then, not now. Overall, it's a good read without ever being great and there's not too much in there that tells us anything new.
He's an Arsenal legend and can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned and I'll agreed that this was about a million times better than Parlour's book. DB10's one is the best of the recent players I believe.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:I am going to buy it and think it will be a good read. Tony Adams biography was top class and I expect this to be of the same ilk.

It also gives me a chance to reminisce of a time when the players knew what it meant to represent "the Arsenal".
Capitalise that "t" please old boy. :D :wink:
It's a bit hard trying to post on here when I am sat in the hairdressers with a face full of ample bosom (and yes it was a female!) every 5 seconds, whilst getting my locks snipped. Anyway, corrected !
:lol:

You go to a hairdresser to get a hair cut??!! :shock:
Yes. Tit's, Coffee, Croissants and Wifi all thrown in. It's one of my last guilty pleasures.

8) 8) 8)
I go to a gentlemens barbers, lovely fit young woman cuts my hair, so no coffee, no croissants and no wifi but i do get to ogle her boobs, one out of four is good enough for me :-)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

REB wrote:wasnt a great book tbh, as for ray parlours , well there was a good reason it was in the membership packs , it was shit.
Sadly the players from that era are just re-releasing books to try and piggyback on modern punditry and earn some wedge.

Wrights first autobiography could have used some perspective/reflection (written too soon) but it was raw. Merson's first I wasn't a huge fan of but again it felt quite genuine. His second - whilst it has a few funny parts - is just a regurgitation of his after-dinner anecdotes shamelessly aimed at cashing in on his dickish Soccer Saturday persona.

philgooner

Post by philgooner »

IAN WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT :barscarf:
StuartL wrote:
philgooner wrote:Wrighty wears his heart on his sleeve and you can see the passion (and anguish) when he's on the box, love that guy! Will defo buy a copy.
Some people have a pop at Wrighty for his comments , but I would.far rather he say what he feels, than the sanitised official mouthpieces .
Loved the guy when he played for us, he clearly still loves the club,

Was there for most of.his special.goals, juggle chip over Southall, last min winner at the Lane, away 40 yarder v Swindon, hat trick last day of the season (and Northbank too ) as Philgooner said his passion for the game and the club was overwhelming.

philgooner

Post by philgooner »

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

I particularly liked the chapter where he confirmed Steve Mc Mahon is a c**t, I mean I was completely happy to go through life believing he was one anyway but it's nice to have it confirmed by an impartial source.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Someone once bought me a David Seaman autobiography for christmas.

I told them never to buy me another football autobiography again.

:o

Clash

Post by Clash »

arseofacrow wrote:Someone once bought me a David Seaman autobiography for christmas.

:D

I once read that the worst book ever published was an autobiography entitled ‘‘I was Hitler’s aunt’’ which was about the life of a woman who was Hitler’s aunt ... but Hitler never featured in the book other than in the title. It was just about her own life as whatever.

Then I was given David Seaman’s book and suddenly I knew the above could no longer stand alone. This is a book with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. No insight or anecdotes and where the highlight consisted of a few cheesy puns or captions under the photos of David playing snooker or catching a fish.

Truly awful.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:Someone once bought me a David Seaman autobiography for christmas.

:D

I once read that the worst book ever published was an autobiography entitled ‘‘I was Hitler’s aunt’’ which was about the life of a woman who was Hitler’s aunt ... but Hitler never featured in the book other than in the title. It was just about her own life as whatever.

Then I was given David Seaman’s book and suddenly I knew the above could no longer stand alone. This is a book with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. No insight or anecdotes and where the highlight consisted of a few cheesy puns or captions under the photos of David playing snooker or catching a fish.

Truly awful.
Seamo's "book" was appallingly gash. :oops: Merson's first one actually made me deeply dislike him as a person. He came across as a totally self-centred childish moronic prick that gave zero shits about his own kids. :roll: :|

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I have a collection of Arsenal books, including Seaman's autobiography. I obviously read it but cannot remember anything about it. Which says a lot..Thought Merson's first book was an effort to gain pity and a need to be loved. Didn't get his second..Best Arsenal autobiography I have read is Frank McLintock's true grit. The iconic Arsenal from the Heart is another gem, different era but written proof that we were The Arsenal and we had class.
Thought Perry Groves' book was childish but in fairnes it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
I have Wright's first book plus an unofficial biography written by Rick Granwell.
I loved Wright as a player and continued to long after he left the club. But his comments about the banner and the fans carrying it after the Cup replay in Hull left a sour taste.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:I have a collection of Arsenal books, including Seaman's autobiography. I obviously read it but cannot remember anything about it. Which says a lot..Thought Merson's first book was an effort to gain pity and a need to be loved. Didn't get his second..Best Arsenal autobiography I have read is Frank McLintock's true grit. The iconic Arsenal from the Heart is another gem, different era but written proof that we were The Arsenal and we had class.
Thought Perry Groves' book was childish but in fairnes it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
I have Wright's first book plus an unofficial biography written by Rick Granwell.
I loved Wright as a player and continued to long after he left the club. But his comments about the banner and the fans carrying it after the Cup replay in Hull left a sour taste.
There were a lot of anecdotes in Perry's book that reminded me of that Alan Partridge episode where every anecdote he tells in his book ends with "needless to say, I had the last laugh". :lol:

Made Perry seem a bit of a childish bitter little bastard at times. :|