Man City Away Banner Confiscation

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Man City Away Banner Confiscation

Post by gooner.ed »

After the AGM earlier this week, I challenged Ivan Gazidis on this matter at the away match last May on his belief that it was Man City stewards that confiscated several banners on entrance to the stadium at Eastlands. He said he had no problems with fans expressing their freedom of speech either at Arsenal or away grounds as long as the banners did not contravene regulations in terms of size and flammable material (and were not offensive).

I suspect that at away grounds, the clubs are unconcerned about such stuff, and that the only thing preventing banners being displayed is intervention by Arsenal (which happened at City as far as I have been informed)

The CEO has offered to host a meeting between those fans affected and the stewards concerned to establish the truth of what happened at Man City and also to agree on a way forward.

So to make this happen, please get in touch with me if you were affected (or get those you know that were) so I can co-ordinate.

Email me at [email protected]

OneBardGooner

Re: Man City Away Banner Confiscation

Post by OneBardGooner »

FrankSav where you to Bro!???

I'll Text Him and Let Him Know what's going on.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm surprised that Gazidis has agreed to this tbh. Be even more surprised if it happens. I always get the impression that Gazidis likes to be seen to be the approachable CEO, but doesn't really believe in that beyond it being a nice concept.

Still he did publicly offer to host it... :rubchin:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I hope Frank and others take Gazidis up on this.

How DARE the club encourage the confiscation of anti-Wenger banners at AWAY games, FFS. A section of the support want the manager gone and should never be silenced, either by stewards, police or violent AKBs.

I hope to see banners at games this season. The club needs to know that not everyone wants to see TOF automatically get yet another deal and undeserved payrise. Time for change!

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

OneBardGooner wrote:FrankSav where you to Bro!???

I'll Text Him and Let Him Know what's going on.
Thanks OBG, I got your message, I've emailed Kevin earlier on this and put my view over but he said initially that he's just looking for fans who had their banners and/or flags confiscated, I've also emailed fans that I knew had banners taken away and while some have got in contact with Kevin on the subject, others are reticent to come forward as they're sceptical of Gazidis's motives in the fear of possible banning orders on the back of any future meet up.

Anyway I don't mind putting my side of my incident to Gazidis but really what is it going to achieve in the long run? Anyway... Up The Addicks, see you all soon.

Franksav

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Well done Frank..Good to see you here mate! :cheekkiss: :cheers:

What we need to do now, is get a Banner (a BIG Fukka) Done that says something along the lines of "Gazidis Gave Permission For Me To Wave This Wenger Out Banner!" :barscarf: :flag:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Have also emailed Kevin as I also had banners taken away.
For the club to basically lie about what happened is not on.

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

Whatever happened to Nick & ***** Jason and their original banner ? The massive one that got in the newspapers?
Last edited by SPUDMASHER on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a potentially homophobic reference.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Would be very wary of this, what has Gazidis or the club to gain from it.? Is it just appeasement? Big benevolent Ivan listening to the concerns of the peasants.. But not intention or will to act on those concerns..

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Not sure if i remember correctly but wasn't there video evidence of this happening to at least one person, surely the evidence should speak for itself if it shows the steward/s responsible?

(Not totally convinced this offer is exactly what it seems though :roll: )

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:Have also emailed Kevin as I also had banners taken away.
Will you go, Nick?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

HARLOW GOONER wrote:Whatever happened to Nick & ***** Jason and their original banner ? The massive one that got in the newspapers?
I think Nick and GayJay got married in the end. I believe they are happily running a florists in deepest (swoon :wink: ) darkest Devon.

:D :wink:

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
HARLOW GOONER wrote:Whatever happened to Nick & ***** Jason and their original banner ? The massive one that got in the newspapers?
I think Nick and GayJay got married in the end. I believe they are happily running a florists in deepest (swoon :wink: ) darkest Devon.

:D :wink:
I hear they've adopted Torquay United as they're new team.

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:Have also emailed Kevin as I also had banners taken away.
Will you go, Nick?
Depending on when it is, but potentially yes.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:Would be very wary of this, what has Gazidis or the club to gain from it.? Is it just appeasement? Big benevolent Ivan listening to the concerns of the peasants.. But not intention or will to act on those concerns..
Gazidis is not a fan of Wenker apparently.

Maybe it strengthens his hand to have some public dissent against him ?

Arsenal isn't Arsene ,or something like that was a recent quote attributed to him.