ozil this season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JimmyAFC

Re: ozil this season

Post by JimmyAFC »

Typical Wenger situation.

Player says he wants to sign because he's heard all the 'great' things about Wenger and his personal style of management (in other words, mollycoddling players, letting them go on breaks/holidays during the season, demanding nothing, nice workplace environment no harsh words or conflict!) until they realise he is a shocking manager tactically and his methods are outdated, then they ship off to another big club and win titles and Wenger and the media paint them as the villain in the situation.

Yep. Same will go for Sanchez and Ozil. DE JA FUCKING VU.

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:He's playing against us tomorrow by all accounts , I don't believe for a minute he is 'ill' or injured , his agent had a pop at us a few weeks back saying he'd been made a scapegoat and he hasn't been seen since !!

I was one of those who voted that ozil would stay in the poll because I believed that he liked the easy life he has with us, plus sanchez leaving with free up the extra funds required to keep him (and placate the fans), but when you see the way he is no longer an integral part of the team, you wonder if either him or the club want him to stay :rubchin:

NickF

Post by NickF »

I think Ozil would be much better under a different manager. He seems to be one of those players than needs a kick up the arse to get the best out of him.

Wenger's "work it out for yourself" style just allows him to be lazy.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Ozil situation is strange. Too ill or injured to play for us but apparently fit enough to hook up with the German squad? I think of the two (Sanchez and Ozil) Ozil might be the one to stay as he does like the easy life he gets under Wenger. If he delivers great, if not, Wenger won't read him out over it. If Ozil gets the money he wants I think he'll stay. Sanchez is soooooo gone though... :|

It's well known on here I rate Ozil as the best technical footballer we've had since Bergkamp - his genius and vision and ability are THAT good. But he is let down by our shabby manager not knowing how best to utilise what a player like Ozil can bring to a team. Ozil needs top players around him that can think at the same level - the exact same way Bergkamp did.

Interesting thing said by the Romford Pele on Goals On Sunday. They were talking about Overmars and the fact that he never ever in his entire life ever tracked back or tackled anyone, ever. :lol: Romford said that because Overmars was so good going forward the midfield didn't mind carrying his defensive duties for him and so they would "tuck in", whereby Petit or Vieira would go over and cover the wing behind Overmars and Romford would come into the centre from the other wing. When asked if that was part of Wenger's gameplan, he said no, it was just something the players did. And we all saw what Overmars delivered in that 98 Double season in particular.

That is what a luxury player can deliver, when he has quality and intelligence and leaders around him. And that is why Ozil is wasted on us, under this manager and with shit like Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey, Walcott and Coquelin around him.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

When I look at Ozil, I always think of David Silva...the difference being Silva has de Brunye, Aguero & Toure around him. Ozil has Giroud, Coquelin and Ramsey. Spot the difference??

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:When I look at Ozil, I always think of David Silva...the difference being Silva has de Brunye, Aguero & Toure around him. Ozil has Giroud, Coquelin and Ramsey. Spot the difference??
That's a point i was making last season when people were looking at his Arsenal​ form compared to his Real Madrid days. Arsenal need to keep Ozil and invest in the quality forwards around him. Last season he created more goalscoring opportunities by himself than the entire Leicester City team put together. Had Giroud not decided to stop scoring for 3 months, Ozil would have reached an assist record that no one would surpass. He's the man to keep and build around not Sanchez.

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:The Ozil situation is strange. Too ill or injured to play for us but apparently fit enough to hook up with the German squad? I think of the two (Sanchez and Ozil) Ozil might be the one to stay as he does like the easy life he gets under Wenger. If he delivers great, if not, Wenger won't read him out over it. If Ozil gets the money he wants I think he'll stay. Sanchez is soooooo gone though... :|

It's well known on here I rate Ozil as the best technical footballer we've had since Bergkamp - his genius and vision and ability are THAT good. But he is let down by our shabby manager not knowing how best to utilise what a player like Ozil can bring to a team. Ozil needs top players around him that can think at the same level - the exact same way Bergkamp did.

Interesting thing said by the Romford Pele on Goals On Sunday. They were talking about Overmars and the fact that he never ever in his entire life ever tracked back or tackled anyone, ever. :lol: Romford said that because Overmars was so good going forward the midfield didn't mind carrying his defensive duties for him and so they would "tuck in", whereby Petit or Vieira would go over and cover the wing behind Overmars and Romford would come into the centre from the other wing. When asked if that was part of Wenger's gameplan, he said no, it was just something the players did. And we all saw what Overmars delivered in that 98 Double season in particular.

That is what a luxury player can deliver, when he has quality and intelligence and leaders around him. And that is why Ozil is wasted on us, under this manager and with shit like Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey, Walcott and Coquelin around him.
Problem is we have a clutch of people who think they are the luxury player too like Ramsey ,OX,and Wally, its adds up to 5 /6 men forward and 5 at the back !

I think Arsenal have done a deal with megabucks on Ozil so they are allowing him to hide for the rest of the season !

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Lee Dixon ahead of the Germany v England game:

"If Ozil had half of what Dele Allli's got (and that nasty streak) he'd be ten times better player than he is, cause he hasn't got what Dele Alli's got."

No-one is doubting Ozil's skill, just his manager's capacity to get the most out of him and to recruit the right type of player to complement his languid genius.

So let's just remind ourselves.....Tottenham paid £5 mililion for Dele Alli, Wenger paid £42.5 millon for Ozil.

Oh, incidentally...... Wrighty was Dele Alli's first-team coach at MK Dons for a year before Spurs grabbed him. You'd think his name might have come up in one of his regular get-togethers with Le Fraud.......

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

xisstential wrote:When I look at Ozil, I always think of David Silva...the difference being Silva has de Brunye, Aguero & Toure around him. Ozil has Giroud, Coquelin and Ramsey. Spot the difference??
To be fair, that's not a great comparison. City clearly come out on top but when comparing the 2, you can't forget about Sanchez! :shock: :oops: :lol:

I'd also like to include Cazorla as he's absolutely key to getting the best out of Ozil, but sadly he's always injured :(

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Ozil is a constant disappointment. But at his best he is miles better than David Silva, who has been declining for years.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

northbank123 wrote:Ozil is a constant disappointment. But at his best he is miles better than David Silva, who has been declining for years.
That statement reminds me of a story Charlie George tells on his legends tour. He says that Sammy Nelson got wind of the fact that Pat Rice was being paid 20% more, and went in to argue his case with Bertie Mee. "But Sammy", said Bertie, "Pat is a regular member of the first team which suggests that he's a better player than you". Quick as a flash Sammy replied "Not in the bloody summer!"

Ozil may now be a better player than Silva.....not when he's always off the bloody pitch, though!

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

For me, Ozil is a luxury player. He could help a good team become very good, but he can't help an average team (us) become good. He plays well when we're on top but I can't remember him turning a game our way when we were on the back foot.

John Cross says Ozil's been offered 280k pw. I hope it's his usual bullshit because I can't see any justification or reason to offer so much money. I don't believe any of the top European clubs would particularly want him, and those clubs that would (I'm sure they'll be plenty) couldn't pay him that.

A massive offer from a Chinese club might suit all concerned.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:For me, Ozil is a luxury player. He could help a good team become very good, but he can't help an average team (us) become good. He plays well when we're on top but I can't remember him turning a game our way when we were on the back foot.

John Cross says Ozil's been offered 280k pw. I hope it's his usual bullshit because I can't see any justification or reason to offer so much money. I don't believe any of the top European clubs would particularly want him, and those clubs that would (I'm sure they'll be plenty) couldn't pay him that.

A massive offer from a Chinese club might suit all concerned.
Have to agree with most of that. Obviously I rate Ozil very highly, but there is absolutely no point keeping him and paying him £280K pw if we also keep Wenger, the rest of the lesser players, and keep playing the ridiculous system we are playing - all of which look depressingly likely tbh... :|

A better manager would build the team around Ozil's ability, adapt the style and system to give him the freedom to create, and we would see the chance and assist record setting Ozil Madrid saw. Wenger won't do any of that. :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Sell him, he's heart isn't in it and never will be even if we paid him half a billion a game, he's disinterested and becoming more and more ineffective as time goes by :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Sell him, he's heart isn't in it and never will be even if we paid him half a billion a game, he's disinterested and becoming more and more ineffective as time goes by :roll:
I agree with the selling him as we'll never build a team around him and it is the sort of player he is, but i wonder how much of Ozils even worse attitude and lacklustre performance stems from last seasons disappointment, i know to us the old assists record might seem a minor thing but for a player like Ozil it is a big thing, it would have meant he'd have had that record in the 3 major European leagues consecutively.

He was flying towards it, then Wenger let Olly play 15 games in a row without scoring and imagine how that played out in Ozils mind. It wasn't just our season the manager blew last season, but in my opinion any faith Ozil had in his manager, it might also account for what seems to be a total breakdown between them now :wink: :rubchin: