Francis Jeffers

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kevin_Yahoo

Francis Jeffers

Post by Kevin_Yahoo »

What do you remember about the this fella's ill-fated time at Highbury?

I'm writing an article about the so-called "Fox in the Box", mainly from an Everton perspective but would also love to hear the thoughts of Gooners.

It will be a bit like this article about John Jensen, which was done with your help a few months back: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/euro-b ... 09924.html

Cheers,
Kevin

AkneyGooner

Re: Francis Jeffers

Post by AkneyGooner »

Kevin_Yahoo wrote:What do you remember about the this fella's ill-fated time at Highbury?

I'm writing an article about the so-called "Fox in the Box", mainly from an Everton perspective but would also love to hear the thoughts of Gooners.

It will be a bit like this article about John Jensen, which was done with your help a few months back: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/euro-b ... 09924.html

Cheers,
Kevin
Injuries were a big part of his time, but even with that he was not on the same level as our squad.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

scored against chelsea in the cup once.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:scored against chelsea in the cup once.
Scored a header v Everton in a 4-3 ? win when Henry spent virtualy all game setting him up against his old club .
( We had already won the league I think )

Just did not fit into our style of play at all.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Wasn't there rumours that Henry persuaded Wenger to buy him or a player like him in 2001?
My eldest son is 24, he has no interest in football, but as a child I brought him to Highbury twice, Bolton in September 2001 and Charlton in March 2003,only two games he was ever at and Jeffers scored in both..
I also think he went back to Everton on loan and while there scored against Arsenal in the League, this was before the ban on playing against your parent club was introduced..

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

I remember him both at Everton & with US at highbury. More recently he played in Australia for either Central Coast or Newcastle in the A league. I forget which. He was well over the hill by then but did have some class. I think most who come here to end their time seem to treat it as a bit of a holiday - why wouldn't you. I did 40 odd years ago !!. Also Heskey & that scouse tosser who scored a heap of goals came and went in the same way. Have to respect him though for at least joining us. :barscarf: :barscarf:

REB

Post by REB »

i was delighted when we signed him, 20 goals a season i thought no problem, he was a bit unlucky with injuries and the up in class showed he wasnt the player we thought he would be, nice guy who didnt run to the press about his highbury hell etc , so gooners have no ill feeling towards him.

Herd

Post by Herd »

He was an arrogant shit with big ears who was allready knackered by the time we bought him !
Wenger didnt want him, Everton knew he was allready crocked ,he was bought by Dein who used to do a lot of dubious transfers with "mates" .
s !He like richard wright were dumped on us.
He was always injured and didnt seem to fit !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I just didn't like the arrogant cun.t. simples

Tommy_Goon

Post by Tommy_Goon »

Feel like his time here was a total failure tbh. Struggling to think of any positives other than that goal against Chelsea.

markyp

Post by markyp »

too ugly for Arsenal

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

markyp wrote:too ugly for Arsenal
:shock:

I prefered it when we had moderate looking winners. And Martin Keown. :D

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

He seemed to fit the bill in terms of what we needed at the time as we had lost that fucking 2001 cup final to the Victims despite having a about a million chances to score. The whole world was saying that we needed a proper poacher and he arrived in the June, I think. The story goes that we spent months trying to get Kevin Phillips from Sunderland and got Jeffers as the second choice. Some fucking things never change.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

The guy just did not fit at Arsenal....yes we needed a goalscorer but he was not good enough, and a lot of injuries i remember

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

I remember a tv programme about up and coming English footballers that reported on the Everton youth team among others. There was much praise for Jeffers and (I think) the blond Alan Smith of Leeds and Man U. I was delighted when we signed Jeffers, a good young English prospect I thought, but he never lived up to the hype sadly,