We've signed Bramall, Cohen Bramall, I just don't think you understand

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: We've signed Bramall, Cohen Bramall, I just don't think you understand

Post by BFG4 »

Nos89 wrote:Just heard the interview with the non league Manager that discovered him. Sounds like a talent with real potential. Wish him well. It's sad people are writing him off before he's even played. Can you imagine the grief Wrighty would have got on this forum when we signed him because of his non league background?
We signed Ian Wright from Palace, not a pub team.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

BFG4 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Just heard the interview with the non league Manager that discovered him. Sounds like a talent with real potential. Wish him well. It's sad people are writing him off before he's even played. Can you imagine the grief Wrighty would have got on this forum when we signed him because of his non league background?
Tony Cascarino came from a proper pub team ( this lad plays at a higher level Northern Premier League) and represented Ireland so that argument is flawed, true he was a shit player but happened to be in the right place at the right time....

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:That made me chuckle Clash. The online equivalent of driving slowly up a cul-de-sac !! :lol:

Anyway, lets relive some of Wenger's shittest signings. I'll see your Cohen Bramall and I'll raise you an Amaury Bischoff. :banghead:

I was trying to think of the he young guy we snapped up from Gillingham for £500,000 after he became their youngest ever scorer at 15 ? 16 ? But without googling it, I can't remember, that's how much of an impact he had here.

Could also throw in Harvaad Nordtveit, who cost us £2m :shock: and has scored an o.g for City tonight v the not so happy hammers.
That was Luke Freeman :lol:

Can't remember a single thing about his career though. Another visionary purchase by Wenger. He's probably working on the bins now and playing part time for Maidstone United.

I'll see your Luke Freeman and raise you a Mark Randall.
Freeman now playing at Bristol City........Good old Google.

You are disqualified as Randall was a scholar, not signed from another club . :barscarf:
What you have to remember is Wenger and Arsenal are like used car salesmen,they will try to buy a "diamond" cheap and sell it on for a profit at some point,and sell it on they will,never mind the "build the squad" mentality.We are not hoarders like Chelsea,buying this chap is a no-brainer,the hype and cheap wages will surely mean a tidy profit once hes sold on,even if he reaches the high's of Ashley Cole he'll be sold on.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Ian Wright was a proven First division goal scorer and i remember when he signed everyone was ecstatic!!!!

Comparing this kid Bramall who was a 1 in a 100 chance of making it at Arsenal (like JET and the many many others over then years) with Wrighty is ridiculous :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

flash gunner wrote:Ian Wright was a proven First division goal scorer and i remember when he signed everyone was ecstatic!!!!

Comparing this kid Bramall who was a 1 in a 100 chance of making it at Arsenal (like JET and the many many others over then years) with Wrighty is ridiculous :roll:

Couldn't agree more - using wrighty as some lame half arsed defence of this signing is totally embarrassing imo :oops: :oops: :oops:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

flash gunner wrote:Ian Wright was a proven First division goal scorer and i remember when he signed everyone was ecstatic!!!!

Yes but what was Wrighty before he signed for Palace and became a proven first division goalscorer? The comparison is simply that he came to the top directly from the deep non league, not that Arsenal had unearthed a gem from nowhere.

augie

Post by augie »

Red Snapper wrote:

Yes but what was Wrighty before he signed for Palace and became a proven first division goalscorer? The comparison is simply that he came to the top directly from the deep non league, not that Arsenal had unearthed a gem from nowhere.

But wrighty didn't come directly to the top - wrighty signed for palace in 1985 and they were in the old second division until they got promoted in 1989.
I get that some want to defend the purpose of this transfer, but ffs please try and make proper comparisons cos going to a small club like palace, isn't anything like going to a big club like AFC regardless of what division palace were in :roll: :oops: :oops:

Midz

Post by Midz »

flash gunner wrote:
Sanchez and Ozil prove what you get when you spend big money
Yeah, a pair of greedy fuckers who won't sign new contracts. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sorry mate but that is a ridiculous comparison... :lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
BFG4 wrote:
Tony Cascarino came from a proper pub team ( this lad plays at a higher level Northern Premier League) and represented Ireland so that argument is flawed, true he was a shit player but happened to be in the right place at the right time....

Cascarino was playing Kent League when Gillingham signed him for a new set of tracksuits (I was following the Gills at the time). Then he went to Millwall, Villa, Celtic and the Chavs, so fairly small steps, not the massive leap that Cohen has made.

Personally, I don't mind taking a punt on someone like him. 40k will soon be Alexis' daily rate so it's hardly a big risk. If it works, great, if it doesn't, so what. I hope he does well.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

Cascarino was playing Kent League when Gillingham signed him for a new set of tracksuits (I was following the Gills at the time). Then he went to Millwall, Villa, Celtic and the Chavs, so fairly small steps, not the massive leap that Cohen has made.

Personally, I don't mind taking a punt on someone like him. 40k will soon be Alexis' daily rate so it's hardly a big risk. If it works, great, if it doesn't, so what. I hope he does well.
When people have brought up Wenger's list of cheaply bought duds and used that in and of itself as a stick to beat him with, I've always taken the attitude of "so what?". I have no problem with our manager taking an inexpensive punt on a player with "potential". What I do object to is that type of business being the only (or the majority of our) business. When the short to mid term requirements of the first team have been addressed, then yeah go for it take a punt on long term development type players.

augie

Post by augie »

Don't you just cringe when you look at ssn and you see along the bottom of the page, in the bright yellow breaking news bar, that Arsenal have signed cohen bramall from hednesford town ? Worth a punt maybe, but a sky sports breaking news tab ..... I think not :oops: :lol: :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

He is officially an Arsenal player now and I think genuinely we would all wish him well, the problem is that we are so far from competing for the main prizes that these signings only infuriate us more..
It's not the lads fault, who wouldn't jump at the chance of a potential career with a top club.?
It's the lack of proven quality on the pitch and the fool in the dugout that hurts Arsenal, not a minor gamble like this.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:He is officially an Arsenal player now and I think genuinely we would all wish him well, the problem is that we are so far from competing for the main prizes that these signings only infuriate us more..
It's not the lads fault, who wouldn't jump at the chance of a potential career with a top club and then a move to Crystal Palace two years later?
It's the lack of proven quality on the pitch and the fool in the dugout that hurts Arsenal, not a minor gamble like this.

Fixed that for ya BWK... :lol: :wink:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

Hi Granada,
NPL is level 3 in the Pyramid, Kent League is way below it...
Yes signed from Crockenhill I remember it well.. :lol: