World Cup Expanded to 48 teams

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

World Cup Expanded to 48 teams

Post by Gunner Rob »

International football RIP

Clash

Re: World Cup Expanded to 48 teams

Post by Clash »

Ridiculous!

But I bet Scotland still don't qualify.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I know football is big business, but there has to be a breaking point, to stop FIFA and UEFA from ruining their main competitions. Look at the CL, and its obvious that most of the 32 teams are filler, there to give the illusion of a competitive competition. The WC will end up the same, with the group stage being a complete write off.

augie

Post by augie »

There is a very real possibility that fifa have pushed things too far this time - assume there is no legal argument that could stop a breakaway organization, and if not what will happen then ? You ask the players if they would sign up for extended international tournaments, or to a opposition body that pays the mega wages these players yearn :roll: At the mo because club and international football are under the fifa umbrella clubs must release players for international football when called up - a new club motivated body would put a stop to that, and fifa would surely lose all the superstars on mega wages who are responsible for all the advertising and corporate sponsorship funds

Personally I'm not as anti international football as most seem to be, but the greed here is the straw that broke the camels back, and I hope the clubs tear fifa apart and send infintano to join blatter in that corrupt football graveyard

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Absolutely ludicrous. As if the WC is not boring and over-inflated enough... :roll: :roll:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -expansion

Hopefully other leagues with follow

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -expansion

Hopefully other leagues with follow

Their statements seem very watery to me - for something as important as this, they need to come up with big bold statements saying that they (and the rest of the main European leagues) will not accept this decision, and if fifa refuse to consider the welfare of club football, then they will have to consider their future in fifa 8)

We all know how greedy and money motivated the clubs are these days (we know it all too well :cry: ), but at least they are paying the players wages and can rightly claim some bit of rights to the players - fifa pay nothing to players wages but still expect to sit back and have their palms greased without paying anybody (except themselves of course) or doing anything

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Might as well put all nations in one massive tournament and play for money not trophies and medals.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

International football is utter bollox. Just make continental leagues. Europe could be split into three tiers with promotion or relegation, same with Asia and Africa, Central America and S.America one or two leagues and the Pacific one league. Matches played home and away over a two-year cycle with the top two or four in each top league, depending on the strength of the conferation going on to a finals tournament held wherever. Teams that are shit get relegated and ones that do well get rewarded through promotion. Fair system and less utterly shit qualifiers as all matches matter.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the only way I would be in favour of this decision is if they reduced the number of matches for the qualifying tournament.

but they wont....so I am 100% against.

to be honest after it is held in Qatar I will probably be totally disinterested in the World Cup anyway

gp543

Post by gp543 »

The only reason FIFA want to expand the World Cup is to ensure China and India qualify so they can gain financially from those markets.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

FIFA =

Russia 2018
Qatar 2022 :shock:
Huge FBI and Swiss police investigation
Countless top officials in jail or on bail for taking bungs

but still these buffoons are running World football. What a joke

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Gunner Rob wrote:the only way I would be in favour of this decision is if they reduced the number of matches for the qualifying tournament.

but they wont....so I am 100% against.

to be honest after it is held in Qatar I will probably be totally disinterested in the World Cup anyway
I'll have no interest in it before it's held in Qatar.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Money, money, money, in a FIFA world :barscarf: :barscarf:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

fucking complete joke. The group stage games already only had typically 1 good game in them, now you'll be lucky if there's a decent game in the group stage.