Giroud, Kos and Coq all sign new contracts

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: Giroud, Kos and Coq all sign new contracts

Post by Midz »

Giroud has done very well lately but isn't the top quality striker we've been craving for years.

Kos is good but 31 yrs old.

Coquelin is average and would make little difference if he signed or not.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Midz wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
We have too many poor to average players being treated like great players. This is the problem with modern Wenger FC. :roll:
+1
+2

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Wilson wrote:Koscielney = fantastic news
Coquelin = good news
Giroud = who gives a fuk

Here is a tragic hypothetical. After having failed to sign Vardy to replace Giroud, Wenger instead preferred Sanchez upfront, only to lose Sanchez, to then resort back to Giroud upfront.

Wenger would be the type of manager to allow that to happen. He would also be oblivious to the sad nature of the circumstances in which Giroud found himself as main striker again. Giroud would no doubt pat himself on the back for 'winning his spot back'.

This is just the low standards and culture of self-congratulations that beget our team. Its the reason why we celebrate 4th place.
If the rumour mill in the summer was correct (McDowell) then Wenker spent most of it trying to replace / upgrade on Giroud even supposedly with him being a part exchange option.
Here we are 6 months later, giving him a new deal - so does that mean Wenker is shit scared of Sanchez leaving and Giroud deciding he'd fancy a move too .

I'm ok with all 3 deals, but believe, overall, it paves the way for 2 more Wenker years to follow come spring :banghead: :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Wilson wrote:Koscielney = fantastic news
Coquelin = good news
Giroud = who gives a fuk

Here is a tragic hypothetical. After having failed to sign Vardy to replace Giroud, Wenger instead preferred Sanchez upfront, only to lose Sanchez, to then resort back to Giroud upfront.

Wenger would be the type of manager to allow that to happen. He would also be oblivious to the sad nature of the circumstances in which Giroud found himself as main striker again. Giroud would no doubt pat himself on the back for 'winning his spot back'.

This is just the low standards and culture of self-congratulations that beget our team. Its the reason why we celebrate 4th place.
If the rumour mill in the summer was correct (McDowell) then Wenker spent most of it trying to replace / upgrade on Giroud even supposedly with him being a part exchange option.
Here we are 6 months later, giving him a new deal - so does that mean Wenker is shit scared of Sanchez leaving and Giroud deciding he'd fancy a move too .

I'm ok with all 3 deals, but believe, overall, it paves the way for 2 more Wenker years to follow come spring :banghead: :censored:
:coffeespit:

2 more years?

#May2025

:suicide:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Koscielny - lets face it, on the evidence of the other centre halves Wenger has bought, its something of a relief he's staying and 31 is still Ok for a centre half. Holding is promising IMO but not ready for 40-50 games in the first team yet, Chambers was a disaster and may never recover here, the big German fanny will be even more of a pansy when he gets back, Gabriel has gone backwards and is a walking liability, and Mustafi has made a promising start but 2 absolute shockers since he came back in and needs a partner anyway

Coquelin - best CDM we've got but could be improved upon. Fact is TO1AW spunked £30m on Xhaka and in my eyes he makes Coquelin look like Mister Reliable. If Xhaka goes to ground as easily as he currently does he'll be walking 3 times a season. I wouldn't mind if he was a genuine tough nut enforcer like Vieira who occasionally went wayward......but he fucking ain't. He's a coward, bottle job type who I've seen hiding in big tough games already and his 'hard man' status comes from mistimed, shitey tackles (the sort a centre forward would make) rather than anything productive

Giroud - think he's having the best year of his career so can understand it, but the fact is that he will go 10 games without a goal when we really need it. So, happy for him to stay but without a top drawer CF to play there too, he will lift us no further than where we are now

philgooner

Post by philgooner »

Happy with all three signing new contracts, players integral to the squad in my eyes. World class? No, not a chance, but in todays market world class is hard to come by.

Can see Giroud getting dropped now contract is in the bag, ala Theo Walcott.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

philgooner wrote:Happy with all three signing new contracts, players integral to the squad in my eyes. World class? No, not a chance, but in todays market world class is hard to come by.

Can see Giroud getting dropped now contract is in the bag, ala Theo Walcott.
Welcome to the forum Philgooner :barscarf:

Always nice to have new voices and opinions.

Care to give a little introduction too the masses on your Arsenal Supporting history ?

I notice you are up very early......there is a thread in the basement you are going to love.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Very strong signal from Wenger with these contract extensions...he is also extending his. :banghead:..
Agree with most on Kos, but the other two not overly impressed by them..Both players are adequate at times..Coquelin is OK, but no more and Giroud is OK at the moment but again no more..By extending both of their contracts Wenger is saying this is the future.. Xhaka is turning into s big disappointment, his recent performances were dreadful and he is a liability defensively.. Kante was the player we needed but we never tried..

augie

Post by augie »

Apart from kos, these new contracts are not a positive as far as I'm concerned - continuing into the future with players who have long shown themselves to be average, does not give any encouragement for the future and only reinforces the suggestion that doing enough to stay top 4 is the pinnacle of our ambitions :roll: :oops: :evil: :evil:

I haven't been enthused enough to read the stories about these new contracts, so can anyone tell me what giroud is getting now ? In the last contract he was getting £130k per week and it was an outrage, and if we are to assume that he has now got an increase, I shudder to think what wages he is now on :wailer: :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

No surprise to see the contracts of 3 French players renewed by our French manager.

I'm not his biggest fan but Koscielny getting a new deal is justified ... the other two though just shows the lack of standards we now have.

Admittedly Giroud is in form now but contracts shouldn't be given on recent form. We've made that mistake with Walcott. This time last year Giroud had just begun a 14 game goal drought. That's more likely to happen again than him keeping up his current form. I really cannot stand this prancing, wrist flciking drama queen. And now thanks to Wenger he is on the list of players to have captained Arsenal :banghead: !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

You can bet that Giroud and Coquelin will both be on roughly twice what they would earn anywhere else.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Underwhelming news. We'd rather hear about Sanchez staying.

Nice to keep Koscielny, but he is susceptible to brain-farts and is lightweight. Coquelin, whatever. Giroud, whatever.

I heard that Giroud will be on £90K a week, which flies in the face of the joke £130K a week a lot of us thought he was on. We still overpay our players though.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
I haven't been enthused enough to read the stories about these new contracts, so can anyone tell me what giroud is getting now ?
Too much. Whatever it is, it's too much. :|

augie

Post by augie »

Sean wrote:Underwhelming news. We'd rather hear about Sanchez staying.

Nice to keep Koscielny, but he is susceptible to brain-farts and is lightweight. Coquelin, whatever. Giroud, whatever.

I heard that Giroud will be on £90K a week, which flies in the face of the joke £130K a week a lot of us thought he was on. We still overpay our players though.

Whoever told you that is talking out of their arse - there is no way a club that overpays like we do, would have giroud on a 90k per week contract :roll: