Graham Taylor RIP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Graham Taylor RIP

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Very sad news

flash gunner

Re: Graham Taylor RIP

Post by flash gunner »

What a shock..... Wonder if the Sun will repost their turnip headline :oops:

RIP

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sad news. He always struck me as a decent enough honest old school football manager.

RIP.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Sad news. He always struck me as a decent enough honest old school football manager.

RIP.
Ditto.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

According to quite a number of people, ordinary people may I just add, he was a lovely gentleman...
The Sun still have a lot of apologising to do with the lowering of Press Etiquette and human decency to their stupid comparisons of Mr Turner to a turnip and a Spanish onion, he did not deserve that!

My thoughts go to his wife and two daughters, to a man who missed on the League title by 1 point with Watford.
RIP... :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I remember him on this show;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Match_(TV_series)

And the way he dealt with some serious dickhead no-mark "celebrities" (step forward MC Harvey :oops: ) was impressive.

One of the highlights of (I think) series 3 was an overweight Merse showing he was still a sweet passer of a ball.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

That's very sad news. He always came across as a polite, decent bloke and a proper football gentleman. He took some utterly disgusting stuff from the press but never sunk to their level. It's a very sad loss for football in England.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Sad news. He always struck me as a decent enough honest old school football manager.

RIP.
+1

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Media can fuck off if they are full of tributes for him..He wasn't the greatest manager ever but he did deserve better than he got from them..
Anyone remember his spat with Steve Williams at the end of the Cup quarter final in 1987?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

RIP...good honest old style manager.

People seem to have forgotten how he effectively utilised the long ball that was being coached to all managers doing their coaching badges in the '70's.
I've watched "Do I Not Like That" a few times and just remember the game against the Dutch in which koeman didn't get sent off for a blatant foul, then "flicked" one in at the other end two minutes later to put the dutch two up, effectively knocking England out of the world cup qualification. Taylor went up to the to linesman and said quite audibly, "you can thank your friend, he's just got me the sack".

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Personally I think what he achieved with Watford trumps almost anything in the modern game - promotions from the fourth to the first division and missing out on the title by a point to one of the finest teams in English league history. Beats one season wonders Leicester, and also beats Wimbledon (whose rise to the top was amazing but they never challenged for a title). Also brought some great talents through with the likes of Barnes and Blissett

He was an absolute gentleman - met him once when he was speaking at a dinner and despite having to hear "do I not like orange" on countless occasions by many a piss-head, he took it all with great humour and had time to speak to everyone. A dear old fella who didn't deserve to be treated the way he did by the English press after all he achieved in the game. To be honest it was a miracle we beat San Marino with the likes of Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton in the team !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A fucking idiot rugby fan in work just walked into my office and said "George Graham died".

My fucking stomach lurched. :shock: :cry:

"Christ, are you serious? When? How?" I blurted.

"Yesterday. It was in the news" Fuckchops responded.

"Do you mean Graham Taylor?" I asked.

"Oh yeah - one of them soccer lads" he said.

Fucking retard. :roll: :banghead: :box: :censored:

:rubchin:

Obviously, having a fat sweaty towel flicker sticking his thumb up your arse makes you retarded to some degree. :oops: :roll:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:A fucking idiot rugby fan in work just walked into my office and said "George Graham died".

My fucking stomach lurched. :shock: :cry:

"Christ, are you serious? When? How?" I blurted.

"Yesterday. It was in the news" Fuckchops responded.

"Do you mean Graham Taylor?" I asked.

"Oh yeah - one of them soccer lads" he said.

Fucking retard. :roll: :banghead: :box: :censored:

:rubchin:

Obviously, having a fat sweaty towel flicker sticking his thumb up your arse makes you retarded to some degree. :oops: :roll:
Some GAA people I know say they wouldn't watch "that soccer" but would watch rugby because it's a man's game...Cunnnts

Sean

Post by Sean »

Sad news. RIP :(

Great manager for Watford and Villa. Savaged by the press as England manager. Good pundit on Radio 5 Live. As SteveO says, his rise through the divisions was fantastic.

I sympathise with DB10 for that arsehole mistaking GT for our own GG. That must have been an awful feeling, mate :( Here's hoping GG has many more years. He's still looking well 8)

Sad to hear all this shit about anti-football sentiment in Ireland too. Sounds like a bunch of backwards bastard running things :banghead: