Other games 14/15. January

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Other games 14/15. January

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:City are a team who look like they're going backwards if anything. So horrendously unbalanced and defensively worse than us.

Liverpool's side is chocked full of bang average footballers and it's a huge credit to Klopp that he has managed to turn them into a competitive outfit. They play with so much pace and such a good pressing game, although it doesn't quite compensate enough for their lack of quality when you are looking at winning titles.

Time will tell if the criticism of pep is justified (I'm not sure yet tbh), but lets be honest here and acknowledge that he inherited an aging shit defence, and with the exception of stones, he hasn't done anything yet to fix it. You can argue that such is the dominance of the big two (or three) in spain that barca didn't need a brilliant defence, but the premier league is a more even/competitive and attacking league, and a good defensive platform is a necessity and he wont get away with over the top players like zabaleta, clichy, sagna and especially kolorov. Citeeh's recruitment policy (under the two ex barca guys) in recent years has been the equivalent of the harlem globetrotters - buying all these lovely skillful attacking ball big name players, but as our own fans can testify, no team will win a league with too many of those type of players.

I wont agree with the knocking of his time in barca and dismissing it as inevitable success - he took over a barca team loaded with big name but non performing players who hadn't won the league for a few years, and he turned them into an absolute juggernaught who steamrollered every team in spain and Europe for a long time 8) He did it with a style of play that also shouldn't be forgotten or dismissed, but it remains to be seen if he can reproduce that elsewhere. or if that type of football has now been rumbled and teams can nullify it easier. To my mind pep at least deserves next summer's transfer window to rectify the shortcomings in his squad - if I was a citeeh fan I would be extremely concerned if the defence didn't receive a major overhaul by then, but if he does buy in the necessary quality defenders, then I think that the slating of pep will prove to be very premature

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
northbank123 wrote:City are a team who look like they're going backwards if anything. So horrendously unbalanced and defensively worse than us.

Liverpool's side is chocked full of bang average footballers and it's a huge credit to Klopp that he has managed to turn them into a competitive outfit. They play with so much pace and such a good pressing game, although it doesn't quite compensate enough for their lack of quality when you are looking at winning titles.

Time will tell if the criticism of pep is justified (I'm not sure yet tbh), but lets be honest here and acknowledge that he inherited an aging shit defence, and with the exception of stones, he hasn't done anything yet to fix it. You can argue that such is the dominance of the big two (or three) in spain that barca didn't need a brilliant defence, but the premier league is a more even/competitive and attacking league, and a good defensive platform is a necessity and he wont get away with over the top players like zabaleta, clichy, sagna and especially kolorov. Citeeh's recruitment policy (under the two ex barca guys) in recent years has been the equivalent of the harlem globetrotters - buying all these lovely skillful attacking ball big name players, but as our own fans can testify, no team will win a league with too many of those type of players.

I wont agree with the knocking of his time in barca and dismissing it as inevitable success - he took over a barca team loaded with big name but non performing players who hadn't won the league for a few years, and he turned them into an absolute juggernaught who steamrollered every team in spain and Europe for a long time 8) He did it with a style of play that also shouldn't be forgotten or dismissed, but it remains to be seen if he can reproduce that elsewhere. or if that type of football has now been rumbled and teams can nullify it easier. To my mind pep at least deserves next summer's transfer window to rectify the shortcomings in his squad - if I was a citeeh fan I would be extremely concerned if the defence didn't receive a major overhaul by then, but if he does buy in the necessary quality defenders, then I think that the slating of pep will prove to be very premature
The Whores won the league in 2005 and 2006 you know. He arrived in 2008. Hardly took over a club without recent pedigree.

And TBH he did all of that turning them into "a juggernaut" in a league with effectively only two teams worth half a fuck. But in Europe?? With that team he only won 2 CL titles. Surely if he was THAT great and that team was THAT great he would have transferred it into CL dominance?

For me he is/was a good manager in a very particular set of circumstances at The Whores, and the luck of having so many of those players in their prime elevated him to the status of "great" manager.

He reminds me of Wenger in that way. Inherited the guts of a good side, added some great players and had a spell where they were brilliant because they all hit their prime around the same time. For Wenger his methods were surpassed by changes in the game... and for Guardiola, he doesn't have the quality of player at citeh he had at the Whores.

I'm not saying he isn't a top manager, just that he isn't what the media paint him as - a footballing genius that can turn shit to gold wherever he goes... :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

The Whores won the league in 2005 and 2006 you know. He arrived in 2008. Hardly took over a club without recent pedigree.

And TBH he did all of that turning them into "a juggernaut" in a league with effectively only two teams worth half a fuck. But in Europe?? With that team he only won 2 CL titles. Surely if he was THAT great and that team was THAT great he would have transferred it into CL dominance?

For me he is/was a good manager in a very particular set of circumstances at The Whores, and the luck of having so many of those players in their prime elevated him to the status of "great" manager.

He reminds me of Wenger in that way. Inherited the guts of a good side, added some great players and had a spell where they were brilliant because they all hit their prime around the same time. For Wenger his methods were surpassed by changes in the game... and for Guardiola, he doesn't have the quality of player at citeh he had at the Whores.

I'm not saying he isn't a top manager, just that he isn't what the media paint him as - a footballing genius that can turn shit to gold wherever he goes... :roll:

I never said that they were not a team of pedigree DB, but I said they were a team who were living off their big names and were on a downward spiral

I would also suggest DB10, that winning two champions leagues is no easy task - yes they probably should have won more, but there were other big clubs spending a lot of money that weren't able to win it even once

I agree totally re the false labelling of him as a footballing genius, BUT I do believe that he is better than most and can still be a huge success at citeeh

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

I never said that they were not a team of pedigree DB, but I said they were a team who were living off their big names and were on a downward spiral

I would also suggest DB10, that winning two champions leagues is no easy task - yes they probably should have won more, but there were other big clubs spending a lot of money that weren't able to win it even once

I agree totally re the false labelling of him as a footballing genius, BUT I do believe that he is better than most and can still be a huge success at citeeh
A 2 year "downward spiral"??!! :shock: :lol:

I agree it isn't easy to win the CL, but I'd also say forget other teams, other teams were not hyped the way the Whores and Guardiola were. He had a team full of supposedly world class players, all the money in the world, and his supposed "genius" behind it all, but he still didn't dominate the CL like he should have if the hype was anything to go by... :|

I think he'll do okay at citeh because he is a good manager no doubt and he will get the money to spend - and if you throw enough good players at it you will win something. I can see him winning an FA Cup or a PL (maybe a CL) but I don't think he will make them the dominant force in the PL that the citeh owners think... I think the PL is too tough and "scrappy" for him. Any team on their day can beat any other team and it happens regularly, I don't think there is another league in the world with that element - certainly not the mostly shite Spanish league.

If I had a choice of Guardiola and Simeone to take over from Wenger I'd honestly go for Simeone. Much more pragmatic and has a real fight in him. I think Simeone would clear out our overpaid shite like Walcott and build the system initially around the ability of the players on hand. That's not to say I wouldn't also take Guardiola to replace Wenger - of course I would, in a heartbeat! 8)

But then I'd actually at this stage take almost any manager in if it meant just getting rid of Wenger! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:I know that the shammers are hated by many on here, but I for one am cheering them loudly today - I get sick of hearing how that fat walrus c.unt has never been relegated, so I would love to see him and palace fcuked down to the championship :barscarf:
I would also find it amusing to see townsend relegated as well - the geordies plucked him from the scum reserves, gave him the confidence to perform well enough to get back in the ingerland squad, only for him to sell them out the very minute they got relegated. It would be poetic justice to see him relegated as the geordies bounce back up again :lol:
I hate and despise the murdering shammers and would love to see them get relegated and ultimately go out of business. :twisted: :x :evil: A pox upon them! :box: :twisted:

But I too have to admit cheering them on against Palace as I'd also love to see the Fat Pie Molesting self-agrandising Allardyce cúnt get relegated and humiliated. But in fairness that cúnt's skin is so thick I don't think it is even possible to publicly humiliate him any more... :roll: :oops:

I did feel dirty after cheering for the murdering filth and had to have a shower afterwards. :|