Cazorla & BFG Contract Extensions

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Cazorla & BFG Contract Extensions

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:Arsenal spent £14,720.000 on wages for injured players last season... And we now extend the contracts of two of the long term injuries..
Christ... I new it was bad... but £14million...? Economic genius my fucking hairy hole! :banghead:

Where did those figures come from BWK? Reliable? :rubchin:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Arsenal spent £14,720.000 on wages for injured players last season... And we now extend the contracts of two of the long term injuries..
Christ... I new it was bad... but £14million...? Economic genius my fucking hairy hole! :banghead:

On today's Independent online, only City have spent more, but £3m plus of theirs was on Kompany.. It also references Falcao at Chavs, his figure is put at £5m plus but it says it includes cost of treatment.. Not sure if Arsenal's does..
Not sure if you can include the cost of treatment at Arsenal, treatment what treatment more like.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

On today's Independent online, only City have spent more, but £3m plus of theirs was on Kompany.. It also references Falcao at Chavs, his figure is put at £5m plus but it says it includes cost of treatment.. Not sure if Arsenal's does..
Not sure if you can include the cost of treatment at Arsenal, treatment what treatment more like.
Jesus. I knew it had to be bad. But OVER 14 MILLION on injured players' wages in ONE SEASON? Mental. :roll:

And before our resident pedants kick in with "players can't help getting injured" or our visiting AKB sheep kick in with "players can't help getting injured - you can't blame that on The Lord God Almighty Arsene Wenger", I'll just say, I know players get injured, that's not the issue. The fucking issue is Wenger keeps extending (and improving) the contracts of players that are always injured and we get no return for that money. :roll: :x

On the back of that figure of over 14 million, to offer new contracts to perma-crocks like the Cowardly Vagina and Santi is madness. :| :roll:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I do like the argument made by some that if Wenker goes then we'll not be able to sign the big names. The elephant in the room being that Leicester City won the league with a team of cast-offs, ex non-leaguers and a managerial has-been.

Besides, it's not as if we're doing particularly well with the 'big names' we've already got...

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

officepest wrote:I do like the argument made by some that if Wenker goes then we'll not be able to sign the big names. The elephant in the room being that Leicester City won the league with a team of cast-offs, ex non-leaguers and a managerial has-been.

Besides, it's not as if we're doing particularly well with the 'big names' we've already got...
Remember all that bollox a few years back about how if he goes, the big names would follow? They went anyway. Henry, Nasri, RVP, Clichy, even players like Hleb. Then it was all about how he can find hidden gems- yeah, Denilson, Chamakh, Bischoff. After that it was about how he was a draw for big players. Players like Suarez, Higuain, Benzema, Draxler, I'd assume, who all joined, didn't they? It's all a fucking myth created by his Fůrher cult. No decent player would ever want to play for him. It's a waste of a career and it's so fucking obvious.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

He overpays players and by doing that buys loyalty.

As I have said on the Wenger thread you overpay anyone in any job you will no doubt be grateful to your boss and the players know it to.

Look at Diaby over the years no one else would of kept giving him contracts players like Arteta recently who's legs had gone and kept getting calf injuries.Cazorla is getting on still a good player but you won't get more than 20 games a season out of the BFG extension makes no sense whatsoever.Money down the drain.

The fact he was mugging off great players like Bergkamp and Pires with his one year deals when they were still class players compounds it even further.

Sure the stadium deal meant a certain percentage of turnover had to be reinvested in the team,some of you may know or remember the details more so he has always overpaid average players.Bendtner,Chamakh,Denilson,Song,Silvestre who got a two year deal when over 30,all more fuel to the waste over the years.

The manager has made the club money which is all the board care about bottom line but the waste of resources has been criminal.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

It's being reported that Santi is officially out for the rest of the season, which, despite me thinking he's a top bloke, should be the final nail in the coffin. It's too big a risk to give him a new contract unless it's pay as you play.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:It's being reported that Santi is officially out for the rest of the season, which, despite me thinking he's a top bloke, should be the final nail in the coffin. It's too big a risk to give him a new contract unless it's pay as you play.
Agree 100%. I love the guy, he's a brilliant player, but it would be madness to keep paying him for no return. Madness. :|

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:It's being reported that Santi is officially out for the rest of the season, which, despite me thinking he's a top bloke, should be the final nail in the coffin. It's too big a risk to give him a new contract unless it's pay as you play.
Agree 100%. I love the guy, he's a brilliant player, but it would be madness to keep paying him for no return. Madness. :|
No worse than Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby - expect it to happen.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Cue three-year renewal with massive hike in salsary no doubt.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Cue three-year renewal with massive hike in salsary no doubt.
No doubt at all.

Arsene Wenger; "We don't sign millionaires, we make them..." :|

augie

Post by augie »

Whether I like him or rate him is irrelevant to me .........the guy shouldn't get any type of new contract, and I include pay as you play in that 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Wouldn't they receive compensation from insurances taken out to cover the injured player's wages

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Wouldn't they receive compensation from insurances taken out to cover the injured player's wages
You'd assume so, but the way our owner. Board and manager actually manage the club... nothing would surprise me. Also how much of a return any insurance would pay out (particularly given our massive and prolonged injury lists) is debatable... :|

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I feel sorry for anyone who was shocked by the Cazorla news.

This is Arsenal 2017.

:barscarf: