Cazorla & BFG Contract Extensions

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Cazorla & BFG Contract Extensions

Post by rodders999 »

Rumours running rife that these two have all but signed up as their contracts were expiring in the summer. One simple question.....WHY?

This is Rosicky, Arteta, Diaby all over again. Cazorla has been a great servant to us but his race is run, at 32 he's going to be plagued by injuries from here on in and at best will only be available for a handful of games each season. The BFG is also finished, he had practically zero pace to begin with so after recovering from that serious knee injury he picked up in pre season he's going to be a glorified mannequin on the pitch.

What other club offers players mega money contracts out of sheer sentiment alone?? It's absolutely insane. Mind boggling stuff!

Jaap Stam famously said all those years ago that players were "pieces of meat" used by the club during their best years and then spat out when they were on the decline.

Not at Arsenal mind...... :roll:

DB10GOONER

Re: Cazorla & BFG Contract Extensions

Post by DB10GOONER »

100% agree rodders.

I love Santi, such a classy technical player, but he is crocked. 23 PL appearances over the last 2 seasons? Each injury taking longer to heal? We'll be lucky to get 5 - 10 PL games a season out of him now. Sad but true. :(

As for the Big German Vagina? Once, a long time ago, he made up for his retarded-snail-type pace with his ability to read the game and position himself accordingly. But those days are now long long gone. Plus he is now a fucking coward and should not get another penny from the club. :roll:

Typical Wenger, over-rewarding players for delivering little to nothing. :roll: :x

augie

Post by augie »

If a manager is allowed to continually feast on past achievements, why shouldn't the players be allowed to enjoy the same rewards ? 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:If a manager is allowed to continually feast on past achievements, why shouldn't the players be allowed to enjoy the same rewards ? 8)
Plus it means the great tradition that Wenger has brought to the club of our captain never playing - Vermaelen, Arteta and now BFG can continue indefinitely :roll:

What a crock of sheeeet :banghead:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Both injury liabilities,and sadly therefore,wastes of money. :roll: :banghead:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

I can sort of understand re-signing Cazorla but it would have to be on reduced terms for a year and on the acceptance from the manager he becomes a squad player unlike now where if he is fit he plays. You can't afford more than one or two injury prone players in the squad but if we used him correctly still has the potential to be useful in certain matches.

But extending the BFG makes no sense, he's expensive and way past his best (which wasn't brilliant anyway).

augie

Post by augie »

Skooner wrote:I can sort of understand re-signing Cazorla but it would have to be on reduced terms for a year and on the acceptance from the manager he becomes a squad player unlike now where if he is fit he plays. You can't afford more than one or two injury prone players in the squad but if we used him correctly still has the potential to be useful in certain matches.

But extending the BFG makes no sense, he's expensive and way past his best (which wasn't brilliant anyway).

Cazorla has been out injured for months and has just had another op which will rule him out of the next 10 weeks apparently - where or how does it make sense giving him a new deal ? :? I wouldn't keep him if he offered to play for free

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Cazorla's league appearances since he signed -

2012–13 38
2013–14 31
2014–15 37
2015–16 15
2016–17 8

I'm no Mr. 30 years but even I can see a pattern emerging here. He's goose is cooked as far as this season is concerned and at 32 with a history of achilles injuries he's never going to able to put a run of games together ever again. He was such a good player for us but you don't award new contracts based on past sentiment you award them for what you believe the player has to offer going forward which in this case is practically nothing.

Sadly we have a history of handsomely rewarding players who never play with big money contracts (Baked bean head, Rosicky and towards the end Arteta) so why change the habit of a lifetime. Stupid.

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

And nobody from the board or media ever questions the wisdom of these wasted contracts. Wenger just surrounds himself with the yes men who won't ever question him and will give him nice, glowing references in the papers and .com.

I thought Wenger was supposed to be some kind of genious in economics? Us mere mortals can see that contracts for these two, whilst good servants to the club but past their best, players are unwise and the resources for them could be better used elsewhere (ie toward a new contract for Mr Sanchez). Or giving players from our fabled youth system a chance instead? All this proves is Wenger hasn't learnt from Diaby, Rosicky, Arteta etc

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:100% agree rodders.

I love Santi, such a classy technical player, but he is crocked. 23 PL appearances over the last 2 seasons? Each injury taking longer to heal? We'll be lucky to get 5 - 10 PL games a season out of him now. Sad but true. :(

As for the Big German Vagina? Once, a long time ago, he made up for his retarded-snail-type pace with his ability to read the game and position himself accordingly. But those days are now long long gone. Plus he is now a fucking coward and should not get another penny from the club. :roll:

Typical Wenger, over-rewarding players for delivering little to nothing. :roll: :x
^^^Agree 1,000%

How the fuck he can offer the BGV a contract is beyond me. :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Showing his tendency to reward players to the detriment of the Club and supporters, sentiment only, what other club is run like this FFS???

no wonder he sells it to future signings as "Paradise"

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I can understand wanting to keep Santi. No other player can offer the same composure and control in attack and defence as him. Without knowing the extent of his injury I wouldn't know whether to offer him a deal or not.

I like the BFG, but his time has passed and it's time to say goodbye.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Santi worthy of a 12 month rolling deal IMO.....as for the other fanny? FFS he wasn't worthy of a 12 day contract the day we signed him !

augie

Post by augie »

GranadaJoe wrote:I can understand wanting to keep Santi. No other player can offer the same composure and control in attack and defence as him. Without knowing the extent of his injury I wouldn't know whether to offer him a deal or not.

I like the BFG, but his time has passed and it's time to say goodbye.

I understand that, but my answer to that is that we should go out any buy someone to do that job who will be fit for most of the season instead of an odd appearance here and there
We all recognize the utter folly of wasting money on contracts like these, but for me this is only half the problem - keeping part time players fills squad places and allows le cock to use the size of the squad as a reason not to buy, whilst totally ignoring the fact that there are several players in the squad that wont be playing cos they are either frequently injured, or just not of the required standard

Midz

Post by Midz »

Rugby Gooner wrote:Both injury liabilities,and sadly therefore,wastes of money. :roll: :banghead:
Spot on.

Only an idiot club like ours would do this.