Scrapping the offside rule...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ConnorGeno

Scrapping the offside rule...

Post by ConnorGeno »

Don't think I've seen anything on here about this,

Van Basten's potential idea of scrapping the offside rule.

Possibly one of the worst ideas I think I've heard, and there's plenty more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... side-rule/

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Re: Scrapping the offside rule...

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

lol terrible idea.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Adebayor wold be the most sought after striker in the world if this happened.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I would go back to the original rule,your either offside or you are not,(fuck all the interfering with play bullshit).

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Seeking to gain an advantage = Cheating Bastards!

At that level there should be very few offsides, I propose yellow cards for the brainless wankers that get caught, let's be honest you have to be thick to get caught offside....

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

You would have to have a zone like the penalty area or a line across the pitch where players are not allowed to enter unless the ball enters or they enter with the ball. :shock:

Otherwise football would become more of an aerial game with goal hangers like when kids play in the local park! :barscarf:

Even Gaelic or Aussie rules have zones where players are not allowed to enter without the ball, although Aussie rules seems to have no goalie who would be expected to patrol the goalzone? Gaelic football does have goalies!

ConnorGeno

Post by ConnorGeno »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:lol terrible idea.
I think it's on par with the running penalty's

augie

Post by augie »

Without reading it in detail. am I right in saying that he said that his idea is based on the theory that it will stop teams putting up a blanket defence ? If anything I would suggest that the opposite is true - if forwards are allowed stay forward and go where they please, it will recreate the old schoolyard goal hangers tactics, and this will of course force defenders to stay back and mark them thus clogging up that area of the pitch :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Rugby Gooner wrote:I would go back to the original rule,your either offside or you are not,(fuck all the interfering with play bullshit).

Abso-fucking-lutely :high5:

We live in a society where people feel the need to constantly change/update old rules and laws, but sometimes the old ways worked best and all this fcuking about with the offside rule in recent seasons, has created nothing but confusion and cheating and lazy players :evil: :evil:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

augie wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:I would go back to the original rule,your either offside or you are not,(fuck all the interfering with play bullshit).

We live in a society where people feel the need to constantly change/update old rules and laws, but sometimes the old ways worked best and all this fcuking about with the offside rule in recent seasons, has created nothing but confusion and cheating and lazy players :evil: :evil:
This "interfering with play" rule is bollocks anyway,if you are on the pitch in an attacking position you will be interfering with play anyway,either pulling the defender away out of position or making a pass to a player who is doing the same,for me its offside or not offside,no fucking "errmm hes not interfering",what next....a zone at the end of the pitch where it becomes 4 on 4 attack against defence and no-one else is allowed to enter???

Bring in monkey-rush goalies too while whey're at it!

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

robbo10 wrote:
augie wrote:

This "interfering with play" rule is bollocks anyway,if you are on the pitch in an attacking position you will be interfering with play anyway,either pulling the defender away out of position or making a pass to a player who is doing the same,for me its offside or not offside,no fucking "errmm hes not interfering",what next....a zone at the end of the pitch where it becomes 4 on 4 attack against defence and no-one else is allowed to enter???

Bring in monkey-rush goalies too while whey're at it![/qu
Last edited by Rugby Gooner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
augie wrote:

Been done - Liverpool had it in the 2001 Cup Final.

All scrapping offside will do is put Crouch / Carroll or some other giraffe on the goal line for the entire match.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This ^^ 100%

Van Basten is a fucking idiot. :roll: :fryingpan: :duh:

That penno "take-on" system?? :coffeespit: The yanks tried it in the 1970's and it was shit then. Copy the basketball number of fouls system?? Can you imagine the current crop of incompetent fucktard refs/linos/4th officials trying to get their heads around that? :lol: :roll:

Also, what the fuck?? Sin bins? Only the captain talks to refs? What the fuck is this modern obsession with copying stupid systems from the utter gash that is rugby? The fucking dreariest "sport" in the history of fucking dreary "sports". :oops: :roll:

Hey Van Basten - why don't you copy the fuck off you stupid cúnt system? :twisted: :banghead: :censored: :box:

robbo10 wrote:
:coffeespit: :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

When Oirland became brilliant at soccer in the late 80s. Actually Euro 88 I was living in England.
As a group we Oirish watched the Oirland V Russia game. After the game one genius (nice lad otherwise) declared that out problem was we didn't leave Aldridge upfield when Russia had no one back..kick the ball up to him and he would only have the goalkeeper to beat..
Van Basten has reminded me of that night.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Before my time but am I right in think there was something called the Watney cup in the early 1970s where as an experiment there was no offside? I think my dad told me and also said it wasnt successful.

I agree with what Augie said about defences dropping deep because of goal-hangers. Park football was often ruined by those idiots who thought they were deadly strikers but only scored goals because they spent the game standing next to the opposition keeper.

If there was a change (and a few minor rule changes have been beneficial) then I would go for the 35 yard line like you had on a Subbutteo pitch and say you couldn't be offside unless you are beyond that. (Walcott's career would be fucked)

Alternatively ... do not allow keepers to come out of their area. I hate it when they come sprinting out and boot the ball into the crowd (and hate it even more when commentators piss themselves with excitement when they come up for corners in injury time).

Other than all that .. leave things alone !