Scrapping the offside rule...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Peeman

Re: Scrapping the offside rule...

Post by Peeman »

The one that really chaps my ass is when u have some lazy bastard standing in an offside position and the ball gets played up to him. The defender then heads it out for a corner or heads it back to the attacking team etc. How can it not be deemed interfering with play as the defender wouldn't have headed it if the attacker wasn't there :evil:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Clash wrote:Before my time but am I right in think there was something called the Watney cup in the early 1970s where as an experiment there was no offside? I think my dad told me and also said it wasnt successful.

I agree with what Augie said about defences dropping deep because of goal-hangers. Park football was often ruined by those idiots who thought they were deadly strikers but only scored goals because they spent the game standing next to the opposition keeper.

If there was a change (and a few minor rule changes have been beneficial) then I would go for the 35 yard line like you had on a Subbutteo pitch and say you couldn't be offside unless you are beyond that. (Walcott's career would be fucked)

Alternatively ... do not allow keepers to come out of their area. I hate it when they come sprinting out and boot the ball into the crowd (and hate it even more when commentators piss themselves with excitement when they come up for corners in injury time).

Other than all that .. leave things alone !

Fucking ediott, tits and subbuteo what a combo in finger flicking exercises!.. :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

ConnorGeno wrote:Don't think I've seen anything on here about this,

Van Basten's potential idea of scrapping the offside rule.

Possibly one of the worst ideas I think I've heard, and there's plenty more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... side-rule/
Footballers being allowed to express their thoughts is always a bad idea.

:roll: