FA CUP V SOTON

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: FA CUP V SOTON

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:Couldn't give a shit if it was Saints under 10s or ladies team - we're still in the cup we can win and pissed all over them

Actually nice to see some fresh blood in midfield and zipping it around with a bit of pace - no Twirly or the Swiss moron there to slow things down to a snail's pace or give it away every 2 minutes

An away draw at somewhere where we'll get another easy ride and a shed load of tickets........Blackburn?

agreed, lets win this FA Cup again, think it will be a big team next at Home hopefully...

As for Wenger he just needs to go

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

best awayday of the season 8)

i'm going to enjoy this short period of chanting steve bould's name instead of that clueless egotist, looking forward to rentboys away :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:Couldn't give a shit if it was Saints under 10s or ladies team - we're still in the cup we can win and pissed all over them

Actually nice to see some fresh blood in midfield and zipping it around with a bit of pace - no Twirly or the Swiss moron there to slow things down to a snail's pace or give it away every 2 minutes

An away draw at somewhere where we'll get another easy ride and a shed load of tickets........Blackburn?

Playing devils advocate here steve o, but if we had of lost that game with that starting line up, you would be complaining big time about the old c.unt sacrificing the cup for competitions that he hasn't a hope of winning :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Highlights on BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38785446

Didn't see the game but that was a sweet touch by Perez to set up Welbeck for the 1st goal and some pass by The Ox for the 2nd.

Anyone know who MOTM was?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:Highlights on BBC

Didn't see the game but that was a sweet touch by Perez to set up Welbeck for the 1st goal and some pass by The Ox for the 2nd.

Not sure what the official view is but after watching the game would give it to Welbeck

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:Highlights on BBC

I'm watching it now, as I recorded it yesterday

Enjoying the Jeff's composure and touch - although he will find it far tougher with a few tackles coming his way as other sides will surely do.

Ox played some good long range passing but was given the time and space to do it. Thought his corners were decent too.

Liked Perez' workrate and contribution, very unselfish and good link ups with Welbeck, who made a great return to action.

I expect Wally will get the m.o.m before spouting what a statement of intent we made and everybody will fear us now.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:

Playing devils advocate here steve o, but if we had of lost that game with that starting line up, you would be complaining big time about the old c.unt sacrificing the cup for competitions that he hasn't a hope of winning :?
I would have been livid had we lost (because of team section) but enjoyed seeing us move it about with more pace as well. I'm not naive enough to think that the younger guns / fringe players would have looked half as good had Southampton put out a full side and I think we would have been beaten quite comfortably. But whilst I enjoyed it I would rather Wenger have put out our strongest side and show that he actually cares about winning this competition which actually he has a fantastic record in.

I love this competition, it's easily my priority for the rest of the season because we can actually win it and many of the best games I've gone to have been in this competition. Not just the finals and the FA cup finals - games like thrashing Portsmouth 5-1 at Fratton Park, Reyes scoring that screamer against Chelsea, dumping out Spurs in the third round a few years back - all great atmospheres and matches which mean so much more all these years down the line than league games.

But it's hard for me to deny that it's dying a death when nearly every PL side and any Championship side with anything left to play for will make wholesale changes to their side every round until the quarters. And even beyond then - I won't forgot the sight of that useless sack of shit Sanogo hacking around at Wembley.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Great performance and result, cant knock Steve Bould influence on the team :wink:

Just a side things what all the double barrel name thing all about? There are loads of younger players with them now not just at Arsenal i noticed the scum had one so did the chavs!! It used to be a posh thing but now looks like a craze :?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Man Utd away in the next round I bet!! :barscarf:

essex_arsenal

Post by essex_arsenal »

TeeCee wrote:Man Utd away in the next round I bet!! :barscarf:
Yeh them or chelsea :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:

Possibly but he only put in 2 or 3 fringe players this time with Holding and the 2 young lads in midfield, very safe in the knowledge that they were down to the bones after that game at Anfield. Its when he rolls up with a team of under 19s like he did at Sheffield Weds last year in the League Cup, when 5000 people travel up and he puts out a side like that against a team he knows will be up for it that fucks me off

ConnorGeno

Post by ConnorGeno »

Topside Northbank wrote:Great away support as always non stop singing from the first minute :barscarf:
If only it was home and away

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Clash wrote:So that proves we're much better than southamptons reserves :barscarf:

Other than that it was utterly meaningless and I got no satisfaction from that game. If teams are gonna make 9 or 10 changes then everyone paying or watching is getting shortchanged !

How can anyone take these games seriously when the clubs don't? Are fans really meant to get behind their teams when the best players, the ones giving the best possible chance of winning, are not even out there?

Saying this after winning 5-0 away in the FA Cup means it's not sour grapes after a loss. I think I am finished with football.

Have to say we all felt the same. We travelled down there on Saturday and right from the off it was clear that we would go on to win it. Soton were never in the game, it really was a mis-match and more a training excercise.
I suppose the fact that they only asked £15 a ticket tells you all you need to know.
Yes we won and we are through but was really disappointed with Soton for what is another nail in the coffin of this once great competition.
I mean, i don't want to piss on their fire but Suttons win against Leeds was not a real giant killing in the same mould as their win over Coventry

augie

Post by augie »

I don't like the Geordie mary poppins, but there is a good article from him in the papers this morning (think it was the sun) where he absolutely slates all the clubs for disrespecting the fa cup and their fans - the drop in prestige of the old competition is so bad now that even championship clubs are making massive changes to their line up's :roll: I've seen the lack of respect for the fa cup being placed at the door of manure and the fa for allowing them to withdraw from the competition to play the world club competition, but I have to say that I cant go along with that - for me withdrawing from the competition altogether is (slightly) better than entering into it and playing 9 or 10 of your back-up players :x

On Saturday I was far more critical of Southampton for doing it than I was with AFC, purely because that don't have the same level of back-ups that we have, but in reality that isn't or shouldn't be the point - the principle of putting out reserve teams in the fa cup is wrong (doing in league cup is ok imo) regardless of the size and wealth of a club

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's all about the money. A higher finish in the PL earns more money for a club than winning the FA Cup. Similarly, in the Championship, promotion earns them waaaaay more than winning the FA Cup.

Money has fucked football to death. :roll: