FA CUP V SOTON

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: FA CUP V SOTON

Post by Gunner Rob »

i just posted this on the other cups thread

one of the main reasons I believe for the growing decline of the FA Cup (and I think this past weekend shows that it is in serious decline) is the scheduling of replays.

They used to be held in the week after the original match - if this was the case now it would create three benefits:

1) most teams played weakened sides because they have league matches this week. If the week was purely for FA replays then that would not be the case
2) the broadcasters currently have to announce televised matches before the replays are played. Again this would not be the case if replays were earlier
3) if you have replays closer to the original match then it keeps the interest going in the cup. By the time the replays are played now then that interest has been lost

the other point I would make regarding Arsenal and the FA Cup is this. we now should always do well in the FA Cup because our reserve/fringe players are just so much better than anyone else. We have stacks of just above average players (not the top quality to win the major trophies) but ideal for an FA Cup run these days. Wenger must absolutely love the FA Cup - he has worked out that it is now easier to win these days, just like he worked out that the top 4 could be sold to the masses as a trophy.

Stuff the CL and Premier League trophies - we are the top 4 FA Cup team!!

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:It's all about the money. A higher finish in the PL earns more money for a club than winning the FA Cup. Similarly, in the Championship, promotion earns them waaaaay more than winning the FA Cup.

Money has fucked football to death. :roll:
Yes 100% agree..I have posted this before and it wasn't totally well received... There is a chance, possibility that two teams that finish in fifth and sixth places in their respective divisions in the EFL will get to play in a Wembley final as a reward for not finishing in automatic promotion positions.
They will get Wembley Cup final suits, an open top bus if they win, medals and a trophy..To me that is morally wrong but it is money driven so morals never enter the equation.
Wembley was sacred, two finals a year..Now next few seasons we will have Premier League football there..The renters should have been forced to play in the tax payer owned Olympic Stadium.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

just had another look at the fixtures and I think that is about time some questions were asked about why there is a full Premier League programme this week.

on 5th round day there is no Premier League programme. Why not? there always used to be. admittedly half the games were postponed because more PL clubs were usually involved at that stage...but still.

you have a situation now where half the PL will get a fortnight without any games for a couple of weeks. Madness. Then you look at March and there are only 3 PL matches because of an international break. the scheduling these days is a joke. the top division used to play 42 league games, there used to be unlimited cup replays and teams had smaller squads!! Yet.....teams also never used to put out so many weakened teams.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

All teams should play with rearranged fixtures...
However our commercial overlords (TV) will not allow it...

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:I don't like the Geordie mary poppins, but there is a good article from him in the papers this morning (think it was the sun) where he absolutely slates all the clubs for disrespecting the fa cup and their fans - the drop in prestige of the old competition is so bad now that even championship clubs are making massive changes to their line up's :roll: I've seen the lack of respect for the fa cup being placed at the door of manure and the fa for allowing them to withdraw from the competition to play the world club competition, but I have to say that I cant go along with that - for me withdrawing from the competition altogether is (slightly) better than entering into it and playing 9 or 10 of your back-up players :x

On Saturday I was far more critical of Southampton for doing it than I was with AFC, purely because that don't have the same level of back-ups that we have, but in reality that isn't or shouldn't be the point - the principle of putting out reserve teams in the fa cup is wrong (doing in league cup is ok imo) regardless of the size and wealth of a club
Bit hypocritical given that Newcastle didn't bother turning up to either of the finals they got to whilst he was there :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

essex_arsenal wrote:
TeeCee wrote:Man Utd away in the next round I bet!! :barscarf:
Yeh them or chelsea :banghead:
If we get either of these home or away we all know what will happen :roll:

mojokickin

Post by mojokickin »

Sutton!!! :rubchin:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Banana skin for Wenger :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

About bloody time we had a decent away day.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

A refreshing change from the usual bore draws against Premier league or shit northern championship clubs

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:About bloody time we had a decent away day.

5000 capacity at Gander green lane....

Wonder if they will swap with Emirates....60,000 big pay day for them :rubchin:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Redarmy wrote:

You're no longer allowed to switch the tie. The rules now state that no ties can be moved for financial reasons.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Eeeeeee By Eck We've drawn Sutton Away! Wel I'll be blowed.... :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

You're no longer allowed to switch the tie. The rules now state that no ties can be moved for financial reasons.

OK interesting, so Gander Green Lane it is then, looks like a climb up the nearest tree could be in order :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

OK interesting, so Gander Green Lane it is then, looks like a climb up the nearest tree could be in order :D

artificial surface too.... :rubchin: