FA CUP V SOTON

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Snapper

Re: FA CUP V SOTON

Post by Red Snapper »

Redarmy wrote:
Clash wrote:
g88ner wrote:Sutton away. Thats a proper FA cup draw!

25yrs on since Wrexham... :o
Yeah a proper tie ... until they decide to switch it to the Emirates to get more money :roll: :)

as stated by another poster, they cannot do that...what is possible though is moving because ground is to small maybe with Police approval to another ground under 20 miles away...but would be giving up any chance they might have
I may be wrong but we were drawn away to a non league side in the late 90's (Farnborough?) but the police said it couldn't be played there for safety reasons so they brought it to our place. They can't do that any more as stated but Selhurst Park is a possibility.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Clash wrote:

Yeah a proper tie ... until they decide to switch it to the Emirates to get more money :roll: :)

as stated by another poster, they cannot do that...what is possible though is moving because ground is to small maybe with Police approval to another ground under 20 miles away...but would be giving up any chance they might have
I may be wrong but we were drawn away to a non league side in the late 90's (Farnborough?) but the police said it couldn't be played there for safety reasons so they brought it to our place. They can't do that any more as stated but Selhurst Park is a possibility.
I know they coped with Leeds who have a big away following but this is The Arsenal from London, imagine there will be thousands milling around outside....i will be one of them :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Capacity of Gander Green Lane is 5,013
Number of seats 765
Likely away allocation 755

Capacity in the trees overlooking the ground - unknown :D

Midz

Post by Midz »

I don't see why they can't switch it to our ground as the financial implications would be huge for them.

augie

Post by augie »

Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Clash wrote:

I hope that it isn't moved - moving it would only be for financial reasons for Sutton, and that again isn't what the cup is meant to be about :x
So what if there are thousands of away fans wanting to attend - Arsenal could sell at least 3 times the away allocation they get for premier league games, but it doesn't mean that thousands will go and stand around the stadiums anyway :roll: If we only get 800 away tickets then we should just accept it in the same way dirty leeds had to, cos we are not entitled to be treated any differently

augie

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:I don't see why they can't switch it to our ground as the financial implications would be huge for them.

And yet we all bemoan the fact that money seems to be the priority for our club nowadays :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Clash wrote:

I hope that it isn't moved - moving it would only be for financial reasons for Sutton, and that again isn't what the cup is meant to be about :x
So what if there are thousands of away fans wanting to attend - Arsenal could sell at least 3 times the away allocation they get for premier league games, but it doesn't mean that thousands will go and stand around the stadiums anyway :roll: If we only get 800 away tickets then we should just accept it in the same way dirty leeds had to, cos we are not entitled to be treated any differently
Absolutely. This is what the FA Cup is for. I'd rather have a small allocation and play a team like Sutton than play at home to some fucking turgid, disinterested mid-table Championship or League 1 side.

augie

Post by augie »

Allowing clubs to move for financial reasons is wrong on so many levels and who decides where to draw the line ? If we were drawn away v millwall, should they be allowed to play the game at cashburton grove ? I mean our shithole stadium holds 3 times the amount of fans that theirs does, and I'm sure they would love the extra income too

wibble

Post by wibble »

The sutton chairman was on the radio before the draw saying his ideal draw would be at home to a big premier league team so I don't see them requesting it to be moved

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I can remember playing three ties against non league opponents.. Yeovil in 71 and 93 and Farnborough in 2003.. Each time we went on to win the Cup..
Surely this will be live on TV...Hope its not on the Friday night, won't get to see it if it is..

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Bradywasking wrote:I can remember playing three ties against non league opponents.. Yeovil in 71 and 93 and Farnborough in 2003.. Each time we went on to win the Cup..
Surely this will be live on TV...Hope its not on the Friday night, won't get to see it if it is..

We're playing Bayern away on the Wednesday so I doubt it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Agree this is for Sutton, its their moment in the sun they will never forget,

It is the romance of the cup, and what makes the FA cup special, fair play to the they have played 7 games already to get here

what a potential banana skin though !!! its the pitch which could be the main factor, knowing Wenger he will do Zero preparation

If we lost would it be the end for Wenger

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Gunner Rob wrote:Capacity of Gander Green Lane is 5,013
Number of seats 765
Likely away allocation 755

Capacity in the trees overlooking the ground - unknown :D
What no heated seats ?

How will Gooners cope , can Tarquin still buy a caramel latte for £5.00

As Augie said, no different to Leeds, we get whatever we get allocation wise.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Redarmy wrote:Agree this is for Sutton, its their moment in the sun they will never forget,

It is the romance of the cup, and what makes the FA cup special, fair play to the they have played 7 games already to get here

what a potential banana skin though !!! its the pitch which could be the main factor, knowing Wenger he will do Zero preparation

If we lost would it be the end for Wenger
there is almost no chance of Arsenal losing this :D
but if the team plays with the same attitude that they did in losing to Southampton in the league cup then they will be given a very hard game.

Wenger can use as an excuse that Sutton United get 24 hours more preparation time :wink: (they play at Guiseley :lol: on the Tuesday night whereas Arsenal play at Bayern Munich on the Wednesday)

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

As I understand, only safety issues (grounds are given a capacity safety licence every season) can force a switch of venue.
Even if they did Sutton wouldn't benefit as the extra revenue is put into a central fund, not given to the clubs.