For Brazilian Gooners

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Basil is a Gooner

For Brazilian Gooners

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

New banner (no dogs!)

Perryashburtongroves

Re: For Brazilian Gooners

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Good boys.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Good Lady Boys.

:shock:

:D :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:Image

New banner (no dogs!)
Why is there a Z used on one side and an S on the other with the spelling? It’s this sort of inconsistency that sums up modern Arsenal and brings shame on the club.

To be serious, what is this obsession people have of letting everyone know where they're from?! I couldn't care less :banghead: . Last time I was at the Emirates there were banners with things like ‘Canada Gooners’ 'Arsenal Indonesia, 'Arsenal Japan' ' Athlone Gooners' . Even 'Gay Gooners' ffs! Do we need to know this stuff?

If so, then maybe I should make a mundane banner on my next visit ''Bacon lover but not a big fan of fruit … and not on Facebook Gooner'' just to display the rather humdrum nature of my life for all to see. It seems to be the in-thing.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

The sign above it 1936 intrigues me..A full 60 years before the club was built in 1996..,What is the significance of it?
Only a moany :censored: like me (or many of the other posters on here) could turn an innocent thread into a go at Wenger..
As for the banners. I suppose it is OK to display where you are from etc but it adds to the feel of globalisation that takes away from the tradition of the club..
I never felt the need or desire to have an Irish tricolour or a banner bearing the words Dublin or Irish Gooners..but each to their own..

REB

Post by REB »

we do bradywasking :mrgreen:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Clash wrote:

New banner (no dogs!)
Why is there a Z used on one side and an S on the other with the spelling? It’s this sort of inconsistency that sums up modern Arsenal and brings shame on the club.

To be serious, what is this obsession people have of letting everyone know where they're from?! I couldn't care less :banghead: . Last time I was at the Emirates there were banners with things like ‘Canada Gooners’ 'Arsenal Indonesia, 'Arsenal Japan' ' Athlone Gooners' . Even 'Gay Gooners' ffs! Do we need to know this stuff?

If so, then maybe I should make a mundane banner on my next visit ''Bacon lover but not a big fan of fruit … and not on Facebook Gooner'' just to display the rather humdrum nature of my life for all to see. It seems to be the in-thing.
Yep Clash, these are the wankers that have their name tags stitched on to their uniforms by their mums, and their shoes are clearly marked with L and R so as to not put them on the wrong foot.... :D

The Gay Gooners was meant to be the Gay Gordon's by the way!
A strange Irish Celtic band run by Some Louise Walsh... :lol:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Clash wrote:

New banner (no dogs!)

Yep Clash, these are the wankers that have their name tags stitched on to their uniforms by their mums, and their shoes are clearly marked with L and R so as to not put them on the wrong foot.... :D

The Gay Gooners is perfectly legitimate because of problems with homophobia in football culture, past and present. It's a symbol that Arsenal does not tolerate homophobic attitudes or behavior; good on both the Gay Gooners and the club for standing up and affirming that.

The foreign affiliation thing is slightly different is a bit weird, I will say. My understanding is this originated in one of two places; regional organization like South Wales Gooners who do their own bus trips to away matches and people traveling to preseason or friendlies abroad. There have always been banners with mentions of towns/counties in England in crowds as long as football photography has been popular. It's just a copycat of that. My opinion would be that it's a desire from foreign fans to feel included and represented. The banners are not damaging or a bad thing at all, people going to the Emirates or go to away matches clad head to toe in [Insert largely irrelevant American city here] Gooners apparel is a fundamentally strange thing to do. It's not about you, it's about the team and supporting them.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Clash wrote:

New banner (no dogs!)

The name on the right indicates the country they're from and the name on the left informs the world that they've shaved their pubes off.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

gp543 wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Clash wrote:

New banner (no dogs!)

The Gay Gooners is perfectly legitimate because of problems with homophobia in football culture, past and present. It's a symbol that Arsenal does not tolerate homophobic attitudes or behavior; good on both the Gay Gooners and the club for standing up and affirming that.

The foreign affiliation thing is slightly different is a bit weird, I will say. My understanding is this originated in one of two places; regional organization like South Wales Gooners who do their own bus trips to away matches and people traveling to preseason or friendlies abroad. There have always been banners with mentions of towns/counties in England in crowds as long as football photography has been popular. It's just a copycat of that. My opinion would be that it's a desire from foreign fans to feel included and represented. The banners are not damaging or a bad thing at all, people going to the Emirates or go to away matches clad head to toe in [Insert largely irrelevant American city here] Gooners apparel is a fundamentally strange thing to do. It's not about you, it's about the team and supporting them.
We in this country have come a long way from a period where guys were actually killing themselves because of the bullying and sheer persecution of homosexuals
It even got to the stage where they were confused with paedophiles called queer, 9 bob notes, shirt lifters etc etc...

Fortunately for me, I was brought up with correct data from my parents and my wiring in my head was good and intact..
Unfortunately a lot of kids never had that and they grew up with all that shit in their head and it resulted in shameful behaviour towards homosexuality.
I saw it at school and I stood up for them, which back in 1968 was a period of change with US atrocities in Vietnam.

Times have changed but seriously you do not need a flag to show who or what you are, how many lives have been lost to a flag of colours, in the name of a corrupt government!...

Clash

Post by Clash »

GranadaJoe wrote:
The name on the right indicates the country they're from and the name on the left informs the world that they've shaved their pubes off.
haha :D well thanks for clearing that up ! Makes perfect sense now :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
haha :D well thanks for clearing that up ! Makes perfect sense now :D
It also delineates which one's have had their Adam's Apple's removed. :lol: