Other Cup Games

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Other Cup Games

Post by Bradywasking »

Did Shrek stamp on a Wigan player there?

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Up the Imps!!!
I've been waiting over 50 years for a Lincoln/Arsenal Cup Tie
15/1 it happens tomorrow evening

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Eboue-Why? wrote:Up the Imps!!!
4/15 that we get Chelsea either Mancs, or tiny totts -better odds in the last 8 lol.

Lincoln
Sutton
Oxford
Millwall
some real underdogs in the draw

Goonimp

Post by Goonimp »

Was at the Guiseley qualifying game and replay. First round vs Altrincham. Second round vs Oldham. Away and home vs Ipswich. Had my tickets all ready for yesterday (people have queuing from 11 pm the night before to get them)... and then I was walking along, passed out and next thing I knew I was in hospital. Had to sell our tickets. Typical!

Lincoln at home will be a ticket nightmare but if Wenker decided to play kids, I would be very worried.

Just Google Matt Rhead and be very afraid.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nice little trip to Fulham would do nicely

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Redarmy wrote:nice little trip to Fulham would do nicely
would love that, been a while since a nice boat trip over the thames. did one in april 2013, nice sunny spring day and we won. miss that 8) :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Goonimp wrote:
Was at the Guiseley qualifying game and replay. First round vs Altrincham. Second round vs Oldham. Away and home vs Ipswich. Had my tickets all ready for yesterday (people have queuing from 11 pm the night before to get them)... and then I was walking along, passed out and next thing I knew I was in hospital. Had to sell our tickets. Typical!

Lincoln at home will be a ticket nightmare but if Wenker decided to play kids, I would be very worried.

Bet you are gutted, no lasting damage done I trust ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Clash wrote:Why the fuck and how the fuck is Man United v Wigan the chosen cup game for BBC1 this afternoon?

Is there some rule where they have to show Man Utd no matter who they're playing? Showing the best supported team on a commercial channel I could understand more if its about viewing figure and revenue but that shouldn't apply to the fucking BBC.
This is their 56th consecutive live FA Cup game...I suppose they are holders..

We've only missed a small handful in that time. United and to a lesser extent Arsenal will always pull in huge viewing figures.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Goonimp wrote:

I just have, and the second page down was a local news report in which the Lincoln manager describes this Matt Rhead fella's new deal as being "like a new signing" :lol:

Goonimp

Post by Goonimp »

StuartL wrote:
Goonimp wrote:

Bet you are gutted, no lasting damage done I trust ?
I don't think so, no. Haha. Not sure why it happened though. At least I had a nice little sleep!

Goonimp

Post by Goonimp »

northbank123 wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
Clash wrote:Why the fuck and how the fuck is Man United v Wigan the chosen cup game for BBC1 this afternoon?

Is there some rule where they have to show Man Utd no matter who they're playing? Showing the best supported team on a commercial channel I could understand more if its about viewing figure and revenue but that shouldn't apply to the fucking BBC.

We've only missed a small handful in that time. United and to a lesser extent Arsenal will always pull in huge viewing figures.
Gary Lineker and Dan Walker have been Tweeting about this tonight. After Lincoln won their replay with Ipswich, the BBC asked to screen the Lincoln Vs Brighton game instead of Man Utd. The FA refused them permission.

That puts an entirely different slant on everything. The absolute barswewards.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Goonimp wrote:

Spookily our stories are very similar mate. I was also due to go to the Brighton game and a couple of weeks ago had a family emergency when our lives were put on hold. My first Lincoln game was c.1967 when my Old Man put me on the front of his bike and took me to the game. Still try and see them a few times a season. Just dreamland for the Imps fans and what a job the Cowley boys are doing. Would love to see Gabriel up against Rhead!!
A certain Graham Taylor will be proud!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Goonimp wrote:

Spookily our stories are very similar mate. I was also due to go to the Brighton game and a couple of weeks ago had a family emergency when our lives were put on hold. My first Lincoln game was c.1967 when my Old Man put me on the front of his bike and took me to the game. Still try and see them a few times a season. Just dreamland for the Imps fans and what a job the Cowley boys are doing. Would love to see Gabriel up against Rhead!!
A certain Graham Taylor will be proud!
Cowley was Braintree manager last season we reached the play offs and this season...... flirting with relegation. what a future he has in management, could see him in league football next year probably not with Lincoln either

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Goonimp wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

Gary Lineker and Dan Walker have been Tweeting about this tonight. After Lincoln won their replay with Ipswich, the BBC asked to screen the Lincoln Vs Brighton game instead of Man Utd. The FA refused them permission.

That puts an entirely different slant on everything. The absolute barswewards.
Read those Tweets, Lineker seems a bit pissed off about it. He is leaving it in no doubt that it was the FA who decided this and not the BBC..
Which I found surprising, as asked earlier where is the benefit for the FA or Man Utd in showing the game on a non commercial channel?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

one of the main reasons I believe for the growing decline of the FA Cup (and I think this past weekend shows that it is in serious decline) is the scheduling of replays.

They used to be held in the week after the original match - if this was the case now it would create three benefits:

1) most teams played weakened sides because they have league matches this week. If the week was purely for FA replays then that would not be the case
2) the broadcasters currently have to announce televised matches before the replays are played. Again this would not be the case if replays were earlier
3) if you have replays closer to the original match then it keeps the interest going in the cup. By the time the replays are played now then that interest has been lost