The Chav Plank or Ospina?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

The Chav Plank or Ospina?

Post by SteveO 35 »

Simple question - you know where I stand on this one. IMO the Chav is living off his past reputation and a shadow of the PL great he once was but never has been for us

Personally I would make Ospina number 1 immediately and give him at least 6-10 games to prove he is worthy of the shirt. If he isn't then its perfectly apparent that we need a new keeper

falkirk goon

Re: The Chav Plank or Ospina?

Post by falkirk goon »

Ospina all day long.Cech is absolute shite,has been since before we signed him.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Thought we had the goalkeeper situation sorted when he joined us,but now he's just a liability,as far as I'm aware he hasn't saved a penalty since 2011 ,not quick enough to get down low ,I've had virgins go down quicker.Don't think Ospina is the answer but fuck it play him,and as Steve says see how he goes.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I don't agree Cech was rubbish before we bought him. He won the golden gloves last season with the likes of the Big Cowardly Vagina and Gabriel in front of him. So even last year he was good enough.

But I do certainly agree that he is way past his best now and should be dropped. I don't think Ospina is the long term answer though. He is prone to Lehmann style stupid stampedes out of his area... but I'd give him the rest of the season to prove me wrong.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Well put it this way if we were to go to penalties against Bayern by some miracle :lol: or more likely Sutton thankfully it looks like Ospina is at least the keeper in the Cups and may even dive the right way let alone save one because Cech hasn't been close to saving any these last two years.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

We've conceded 28 goals; Sp*rs have let in 16 and Chelsea 17. It's simply not good enough.

Clearly that's mainly down to our ridiculous "zero tactics and can't be arsed to track runners" mentality but Cech deserves his fair share of the blame. I'm not convinced Ospina is the answer either to be honest but I'd give him a chance in the side. Cech sadly hasn't been half the goalkeeper I hoped we were buying :(

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Opsina for the rest of the season but like above I'm not saying he is the long term answer..Really think that with the right bid Schmeichel could be available. He knows he will never again achieve what he did last season by staying at Leicester..
But he would need a new manager at Arsenal and defensive coaching for those in front of him or he would in time be destroyed and end up passively going through the motions and collecting a fortune for it.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:Opsina for the rest of the season but like above I'm not saying he is the long term answer..Really think that with the right bid Schmeichel could be available. He knows he will never again achieve what he did last season by staying at Leicester..
But he would need a new manager at Arsenal and defensive coaching for those in front of him or he would in time be destroyed and end up passively going through the motions and collecting a fortune for it.
And possibly a better goalkeeping coach than Gerry Peyton ???? Or should we be careful what we wish for ?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Ospina every game from now on. Cech is slow and past it and has been since he joined. He peaked years ago and his attitude since he joined us has been of a bloke taking in the money for one last pay day. He's got no motivation and looks like he couldn't care less at times. He achieved his career goal when he won the Chumps league with the chavs and he hasn't given a shit since. Fuck him, never warmed to him and that fucking stupid bellend on his head.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Come back Fabianski, all is forgiven! :cry:

(Not really, you useless tosser!)

A real manager would have bought Cech's replacement in the summer when his reactions we lacking then.

Let's go and get Fraser Forster!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

StuartL wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Opsina for the rest of the season but like above I'm not saying he is the long term answer..Really think that with the right bid Schmeichel could be available. He knows he will never again achieve what he did last season by staying at Leicester..
And possibly a better goalkeeping coach than Gerry Peyton ???? Or should we be careful what we wish for ?

FFS is he still there.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Ospina.He was unlucky to get dropped when Cech arrived as he was playing well.
Also,as I have said before,if the Chavs only sold him ,(and Wenger fell for it),because they knew that he was past his sell by date. :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

I didn't agree with signing him in the first place, and argued strongly that he was way, way overpriced :roll:

Like others have said, I'm not sure yet if ospina is the answer, but I sure as shit would like to see him given the rest of the season to find out

If ospina is not the long term answer, then I'm not sure who is tbh :? Schmeichel is a good keeper but I'm not sure if he is good enough. Forster is a big fcuker, but seems to drop clangers at an alarming rate. Doubtful we will go for another keeper imo, but if we did I would be worried that it will be joe hart and that would put me in a predicament - I've always argued that he is vastly over-rated, but he is better than the modern day cech so he would be an upgrade of sorts :roll:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Chelsea got 10 years out of him and still made a £3m profit by flogging him to us, which says something.

We can't keep churning through keepers, slating all of them for being shite, without the buck stopping with Wenger and his (lack) of proper defensive coaching.

That said, Cech struggles with the fucking basics now and looks shot to pieces. Is Ospina the answer? No, but what other options do we have? Suppose we could recall Szczesny from his decade-long loan and really have a laugh...

May as well play without a damn goalie...

Tl;dr: neither.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I'll have Hugo Lloris please.... ridiculous we didn't sign him because it might have upset Szczesny. Young keeper with proven track record, massive experience on international and continental stage and a reasonable price to boot.

Cech goes down in instalments and can't remember the last time he won us any points. But Ospina is jumpy as fuck and the whole defence is visibly nervous around him. He is straight out the Wenger goalkeeping clown academy. Even cruising past Southampton he managed to needlessly chase a ball he was never going to get to then follow the guy out of the area trying to give away a goal, as well as not getting out of our own half with a singla kick. The bloke is simply not the answer long-term.

As for the rest of this season, hand on heart I think Cech would probably still be better on balance. But I do also think that it sends out a terrible message to keep playing a declining player despite putting in sub-par performances on a weekly basis. So I would drop Cech and give Ospina a bit of a run.