IWOBI

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Re: IWOBI

Post by Allgunsblazin »

officepest wrote:I think that he’s part of a larger problem at Arsenal, in that all our young prospects plateau very early and get no better, or even regressregress

Gibbs
Walnut
Oxbow-Chambermaid
Ramsey
Wilshere

You get the idea. Make the first team; receive vast pay-hike, usually suffer some chronic injury, then nad about for years not really doing much.

And I blame Wenger for it, players should be progressing not regressing, but the fuckhead keeps doing it, still looking for a Thierry and it ain't gonna happen!....
Last edited by Allgunsblazin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

He has been getting worse, but, as with Coquelin when he came into the team, he was massively overhyped.

With both we'd been struggling to put a team out due to injuries. They came in, were 'products of the academy' and weren't shit; so they were hailed as 'finds', when in reality neither has done anything to suggest they will ever be good enough. Iwobi may have time on his side, but he seems to have a very lackadaisical attitude. If a young player isn't embarrassed to lose possession, and can't be arsed to try and win it back, he shouldn't be in our team.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

The trouble is lads, these young boys are fucking millionaires now, if they don't kick a ball after a season or two they have made their dough and end up vastly overpaid at some lower level club where they become a big fish in an ever decreasing pond, and these lesser clubs wonder why they go under!
They get pampered with massages, physios to their every whim, arm around them when things go wrong...
They are the golden generation, and they fucking need a wake up call, Arsenal supporters pay a premium to watch third rate "Jooster Munchers" it's gone on for far too long, nothing comes out of that academy and when it does you can guarantee "Lord Wenger of Arsene" will ruin them!....He looks more like the Childcatcher with every passing day...
"Lollipops"

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

His touch is very loose. He often looks a bit like Vieira, the way Vieira would "cushion" the ball about 5 yards off his foot when receiving a pass and then use his long legs to quickly step back into the moving ball - that threw so many oppo players off over the years. 8)

The problem with Iwobi when he does that is the ball seems to go 10 yards off his foot and he struggles (and often fails) to regain control. Also, his passing is very haphazard, he seems to just ping the ball in the general direction of a team mate and sprint on ahead as if he is thinking about his next touch without ensuring he has actually made a decent fist of his previous touch. :|

He far too often (like the Ox) makes the wrong decisions when in possession also.

Still very young, but how much better he can get is anybody's guess. Personally I don't think he has the head to be a top class player. Either way, like all our young players, if we are paying him more than £2K a week at the moment then we are pissing that money away, because the return is practically fuck all. :|

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Lucas Perez would give us a better return in goals , workrate and passing , Iwobi should be the 70 minute sub while he is learning

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

Topside Northbank wrote:Iwobi a player that get coached out of them to take on and beat players the manager just wants possession football.....tippy tappy sideways football and easy to defend against.
Topside, bang on!

I watched this guy a few back in the 2nd team great are attacking people and running in to the box and shooting. :roll: :roll:

Now look what has happened...............................

Another point where is the team spirit? There is also little or no defensive shape and or organisation.
This alone with these players would put us in a much better shape. Or am I just mad!! :|

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:We sold promising german international Gnabry who could beat a man and run at people for a pittance and retained this lad. baffling
Gnabry plays for the German national team so that says it for me, Wenger is an arsehole, he deserves to be beaten with a banjo!
Iwobi, where the fuck did he come from?
He is one of the laziest fuckers I have ever seen...
I concur

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Don't particularly rate Iwobi but doesn't seem someone with great belief in himself. He played well in his first few games but if you look at his body language recently, especially Bayern away, he looks scared and like a little boy. Cant think why Wenger thought he was a good choice for Bayern away...

Gnabry showed promise as well but following his injury he looked out of shape and needed to play somewhere. Obviously WBA was a bad move but his attitude didn't sound great and you can't blame him for wanting to move on.

I'm all for young players coming through but the Arsenal first team shouldn't be a place for players to find their way. Only a few young players are good enough to come into the first team and contribute straight away.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:We sold promising german international Gnabry who could beat a man and run at people for a pittance and retained this lad. baffling
Gnabry plays for the German national team so that says it for me, Wenger is an arsehole, he deserves to be beaten with a banjo!
Iwobi, where the fuck did he come from?
He is one of the laziest fuckers I have ever seen...
I concur
In my very humble opinion I thought Gnabry was one of the most exciting players at the club for a while,maybe he fucked Wengers old woman because like Podolski and a few others he was fucked off faster than a Jimmy Saville tribute.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Allgunsblazin wrote:The trouble is lads, these young boys are fucking millionaires now, if they don't kick a ball after a season or two they have made their dough and end up vastly overpaid at some lower level club where they become a big fish in an ever decreasing pond, and these lesser clubs wonder why they go under!
They get pampered with massages, physios to their every whim, arm around them when things go wrong...
They are the golden generation, and they fucking need a wake up call, Arsenal supporters pay a premium to watch third rate "Jooster Munchers" it's gone on for far too long, nothing comes out of that academy and when it does you can guarantee "Lord Wenger of Arsene" will ruin them!....He looks more like the Childcatcher with every passing day...
"Lollipops"
Your first two paragraphs sum it up perfectly.

Iwobi
Frimpong
Song
Bendtner
Denilson
Coquelin
Gibbs
Chambermaid
Ramsey
Walcott

All multi millionaires before they've achieved a single thing. :banghead:

Wenger really does reward failure doesn't he??

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
rodders999 wrote:Iwobi like almost aall young players at some point is experiencing a massive dip in form. It's only around this time last year he broke into the team and he has pretty much stayed there ever since.

He looked very good initially and I still think there's a very good player in there somewhere but like so many before him he's been let down badly by shit for brains.

Instead of shielding the lad by taking him out of the limelight the very minute his form bombed he continues to play him game after game after game and his confidence has tanked as a result.

Hopefully he can get through it (in spite of the manager rather than aided by him as should be the case) but you'd have to be worried.

Also this bullshit being peddled by the club's PR machine constantly calling him #Big17 doesn't help either. Bigging up a player that has done jack shit in his career to date - see also The Jeff :roll:
Exactly....He looked very good initially
Yes he did ,,,,,was impressive.....got his pay rise and then form dropped......young kid, big money obvious thinks he has made it

Thats where man management comes in......Wenger :roll: ...

still think you can stick with players too long, sorry but big wages equals big performances

Remember Adams, Brady and oleary from the first match you knew they were quality......

sticking with players who do not deliver hoping one day they will come good makes the team suffer.....
Obviously the loan system is useful for monitoring development

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Redarmy wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
rodders999 wrote:Iwobi like almost aall young players at some point is experiencing a massive dip in form. It's only around this time last year he broke into the team and he has pretty much stayed there ever since.

He looked very good initially and I still think there's a very good player in there somewhere but like so many before him he's been let down badly by shit for brains.

Instead of shielding the lad by taking him out of the limelight the very minute his form bombed he continues to play him game after game after game and his confidence has tanked as a result.

Hopefully he can get through it (in spite of the manager rather than aided by him as should be the case) but you'd have to be worried.

Also this bullshit being peddled by the club's PR machine constantly calling him #Big17 doesn't help either. Bigging up a player that has done jack shit in his career to date - see also The Jeff :roll:
Yes he did ,,,,,was impressive.....got his pay rise and then form dropped......young kid, big money obvious thinks he has made it

still think you can stick with players too long, sorry but big wages equals big performances

Remember Adams, Brady and oleary from the first match you knew they were quality......

sticking with players who do not deliver hoping one day they will come good makes the team suffer.....
Most of Arsenal's youngsters havent even looked like progressing though.they get hyped by the press/whoever but most of them even a football novice could tell they'll never make it to the top in the game,becoming an instant millionaire must drain any thirst for glory too.
I've always thought youngsters should be allowed to play without fear but our kids look terrified,and it stems from Le Professor.I'd love to see Iwobi/Ox/Coq progress but I honestly dont see it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

robbo10 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Most of Arsenal's youngsters havent even looked like progressing though.they get hyped by the press/whoever but most of them even a football novice could tell they'll never make it to the top in the game,becoming an instant millionaire must drain any thirst for glory too.
I've always thought youngsters should be allowed to play without fear but our kids look terrified,and it stems from Le Professor.I'd love to see Iwobi/Ox/Coq progress but I honestly dont see it.
Agreed....

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

GranadaJoe wrote:He has been getting worse, but, as with Coquelin when he came into the team, he was massively overhyped.

With both we'd been struggling to put a team out due to injuries. They came in, were 'products of the academy' and weren't shit; so they were hailed as 'finds', when in reality neither has done anything to suggest they will ever be good enough. Iwobi may have time on his side, but he seems to have a very lackadaisical attitude. If a young player isn't embarrassed to lose possession, and can't be arsed to try and win it back, he shouldn't be in our team.
this is bang on. just because coq was only mildly shite rathe than complete shite everyone said he was good, the media etc jumping on the bandwagon too. He is yet another in the long line of bang average no marks to fill our midfield that are symbols of wengers inaction. to have him considered a key player for us is shocking

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

the playing mantis wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:He has been getting worse, but, as with Coquelin when he came into the team, he was massively overhyped.

this is bang on. just because coq was only mildly shite rathe than complete shite everyone said he was good, the media etc jumping on the bandwagon too. He is yet another in the long line of bang average no marks to fill our midfield that are symbols of wengers inaction. to have him considered a key player for us is shocking
:high5:

Not sure this translates too well into French but it fits Wenger's recent Arsenal to a tee:

We do sign bang-average no-marks, and we make them. :barscarf: