Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:
WLG wrote:As long as the others are willing to get behind the No New Contract banner then all good, we just don't want it to get diluted by people suddenly bringing new messages onboard. 500 protesters behind the single NoNewContract message, has far more impact than the same number all with different signs. To be honest, if he signs, I think that might be the tipping point for may fance sitters, and we could be looking at thousands rather than hundreds at the next march.
I think the danger is that the fence sitters could also turn around and say oh well he's signed for 2more years so let's just get behind the team as nothing is going to change.
Was just about to post those exact words. My fear is that not only will the fence sitters do that, but that many of the protesters will just lose hope and walk away from The Arsenal. We've lost so many proper old school Gooners in the last 5 or so years, lads that have just stopped going as their club is barely recognisable as the club we all grew up supporting and following around England and Europe. :|

General

Post by General »

NickF wrote:
General wrote:Our message is #nonewcontract #wengerout.

Here's the Official Twitter account from what I've been told:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoNewContract

If he announces he's staying then the protests need to move inside the stadium with full force. More banners and more coordinated protests. I'd imagine the stands are going to be empty towards the end of games as usual so maybe we can all congregate in one block and make ourselves heard. West stand in front of the press seating area id suggest.

Why wait, should be inside as well. It doesn't really matter which stand but so far not enough numbers. Away was different as there was plenty of banners.

I was listening to the excellent SameOldAFC podcast and they remarked that a lot still have respect for Wenger (even though they wouldn't necessarily want him to sign) which is why they don't join in chants and banners. Not really sure how we would ever get round that....
Agreed. I'm not sure how many people go on to watch the game after the protest so the numbers need to be gauged. As you say numbers and coordination are important. I'm up for it.
Last edited by General on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I have another idea can some one persuade DT to perform a self immolation sacrifice ?

Herd

Post by Herd »

I have another idea can some one persuade DT to perform a self immolation sacrifice ?

ten20

Post by ten20 »

We should try and get this hashtag to go viral #DontFlyEmirates

Anybody have a big twitter following, or know someone who does to try and kick it off?

They are the main sponsor and if it gets on the big trends pages people will see straight away its do do with Wenger.

Embarrassment for both Arsenal and Emirates.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

ten20 wrote:We should try and get this hashtag to go viral #DontFlyEmirates

Anybody have a big twitter following, or know someone who does to try and kick it off?

They are the main sponsor and if it gets on the big trends pages people will see straight away its do do with Wenger.

Careful mate cos that could put you in some serious legal shit

Herd

Post by Herd »

ten20 wrote:We should try and get this hashtag to go viral #DontFlyEmirates

Pure stupidity why try to alienate your biggest sponsor ?

Fucking idiot !

Babu

Post by Babu »

Gunner Rob wrote:whats the situation with disrupting the match ?

Bayern Munich did it with their toilet rolls and a Turkish team did it recently at the Emirates too with flares.

is there a fine for that sort of thing or is there just more leniency for away supporters ?
The Bayern game is different. That comes under UEFA. It will be looked at by them and a fine given.
Examples are:

Celtic with their Palestinian Flags...€10,000 fine
Barcelona fined €30,000 for the Catalan Flags at the ECL Final
Kiev and Besiktas got €60,000 each for fighting and flares and wrecking part of the Stadium

Sadly there's no more European nights for us this season...

WLG

Post by WLG »

DB10GOONER wrote:
General wrote:
WLG wrote:As long as the others are willing to get behind the No New Contract banner then all good, we just don't want it to get diluted by people suddenly bringing new messages onboard. 500 protesters behind the single NoNewContract message, has far more impact than the same number all with different signs. To be honest, if he signs, I think that might be the tipping point for may fance sitters, and we could be looking at thousands rather than hundreds at the next march.
I think the danger is that the fence sitters could also turn around and say oh well he's signed for 2more years so let's just get behind the team as nothing is going to change.
Was just about to post those exact words. My fear is that not only will the fence sitters do that, but that many of the protesters will just lose hope and walk away from The Arsenal. We've lost so many proper old school Gooners in the last 5 or so years, lads that have just stopped going as their club is barely recognisable as the club we all grew up supporting and following around England and Europe. :|

I'm guilty of that myself, stopped going at the end of 08/09 season; couldn't take the fact that we had become a tourist attraction rather than a football club. You could see that we werent going anywhere quickly, after the unbeaten season we should have been perfectly placed to achieve everything that the new stadium build had promised us, instead we, or rather Wenger solely, chucked our hand in instead off going all-in.

Still been making an appearance to protest though!

Babu

Post by Babu »

Sadly for Premier League there are no points deductions ( yet )

The West Ham fan who took a free-kick against THFC got a £305 fine.
That was at the Magistrates Court though. No banning order, because of his previous good behaviour.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-29016057

The three guys who went on the pitch at THFC got £155 each, and 3 year banning order.
THFC got a £11,870 fine, but again because of Europa League.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-30543108

Birmingham City got £20,000, and £20,000 suspended, for 1,000 fans on the pitch versus Villa the other year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 440105.stm

If you do it at the Emirates you will be caught and fined nominally and will be banned for 3 years...from any Football Ground.

And don't think about doing a streak!!!

The guy who streaked at the PL game Villa v Man City got a 18-month community order and fined £145 costs..PLUS... has been put on the Sex Offenders Register.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ister.html

Babu

Post by Babu »

Bayern Munich fans, with their Ozil Gay Gunners Banner and one about Kosovo... Fined €10,000, and had to play the next game with part of the Stadium closed, versus Man United.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26715093

They were warned that another occurrence would cost them €50,000, and they would have to play one future match behind closed doors.

So repeat offending at a European game would cost the Regime one match-day income. £3 million.

Something to think about if Mr. Wenger signs a new contract!

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Babu wrote:Bayern Munich fans, with their Ozil Gay Gunners Banner and one about Kosovo... Fined €10,000, and had to play the next game with part of the Stadium closed, versus Man United.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26715093

They were warned that another occurrence would cost them €50,000, and they would have to play one future match behind closed doors.

So repeat offending at a European game would cost the Regime one match-day income. £3 million.

Something to think about if Mr. Wenger signs a new contract!

Lateral thinking,but good thinking. :rubchin: :D

General

Post by General »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
General wrote:
That is precisely what the club are banking on: we have to hope that the worm has turned and the sheep won't be led meekly back into the pen as they always have been before.
It is also worth noting that the reason why a lot of these fence sitters won't join the protests is because they genuinely believe he will go on his own accord at the end of the season and the protests are not necessary.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Rugby Gooner wrote: Lateral thinking,but good thinking. :rubchin: :D
One problem is we need European football next season for this to work, and we are in free-fall at the moment.

NOT getting 4th place paradoxically would help the old fraud if he signs again, with no CL to distract from the League.

silus

Post by silus »

Before the Norwich "time for change" protest last season, I posted that everyone who wanted change should get a ticket and get inside the stadium. There were loads of tickets available at cat c prices. Unfortunately, not enough people joined in and it back fired. In hindsight the watered down message didn't help, but I'm sure if it was just aimed at Wenger it would have still resulted in his name being sung, probably with even more gusto.
I know more people have come over to our side now, but I still believed last season the majority of people wanted him out....they just weren't in the poxy ground.
If something is happening in the ground against city, we need as many people inside as possible, or things could go against us again. I know a lot of people don't want to give the club money at the moment (fair enough), but surely it's worth paying for the right result (off the pitch).
There's plenty of tickets on the exchange.