When supporting 2 teams becomes a problem!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: When supporting 2 teams becomes a problem!

Post by StuartL »

Eboue-Why? wrote::D Appreciate your thoughts and comments gentlemen
And I appreciate your very nice avatar :barscarf:

I adopted Southend when I lived about 5 miles away back in the late 70's to 1987 when I moved to Suffolk.

The fact they were in Div 4 usually and div 3 occasionally and they often played on a Friday night so there was never a clash with Arsenal.

Only time they met was In a pre season friendly many years ago, but it would never be a clash on my heartstrings - had we moved to Bristol I might have adopted City or Rovers, Had we moved earlier to Suffolk, I might have adopted Colchester or Cambridge

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Go for the away end

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eboue-Why? wrote:Back in the 60s I was born in Lincoln. Lived there for 20 odd years. Dad took me to my first game when I was 5 and I was a regular at Sincil Bank until the mid 80s when I moved down south. In the early days they were in the old 4th Division and so as a kid you generally had a Ist Division team that you supported too. In 1971 mine became Arsenal when I saw Charlie lying on the floor! First Arsenal game was 1976. Now a ST Holder with my boy but still try and get to see Lincoln at local away games or when I'm back up north. and have done since I left home.

Now some might say it's impossible to support 2 teams but I disagree with that. Where you're born and bred can never leave you and so your 'home team' stays in your blood. Equally I've been a regular at Highbury, The Emirates and on away days for 40 years. Obviously I've seen 100s more Arsenal games than Lincoln games but the feeling as a fan at a game involving either team generates the same passion.

I always dreamed that the 2 would meet and fuck me it's happened :D I've got old school mates asking me to join them in the Clock End and so I've got a decision to make.....join them for a day out and experience something that'll probably never happen again, stay in my normal seat in the North Bank or take the easy option and don't frickin go?!?!

A couple of lifelong Gooners said to me 'Arsenal have given you some of the best experiences of your life. Let Lincoln give you another one'
My boy said 'Dad you're a Gooner...end of'
Taking out the Wenger factor and that an unlikely result would see him leave, I'd be interested to know what you would do? Is it unforgiveable to even consider standing in the away end at your own ground? Suddenly those half and half scarves aren't such a bad invention after all!!!
Your son is smarter than you. 8)

:D :wink:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

:roll:
:banghead:
:censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:tumbleweed: :yawn:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Herd wrote:Take your pick but if you go with the son its the Arsenal end . you can buy a lincoln scarf and clap then onto the pitch then sit back and watch us win 1-0 . Easy ![/quote

Nope the boy's not involved. He was born down here so no issues for him!
The bloke who goes to games wearing the half and half Arsenal Home and Away kit stands near me. Maybe I'll get his tailor to knock up one using half red half green for me!
I hate that Dumb Norwegian ticket touting barsteward with passion !

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Well there you go didn't know he was Scandinavian!!

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Is that the fella with the ponytail? bit weird that one :|

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Away end......but please don't sign up to the Little Club Charter.

Given your Gooner roots I'd like to think it was only 8,999 non league spackers singing "Same Old Arsenal, Always Cheating" or "Eee-aye eee-aye o.....up the National League we go" :D

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

SteveO 35 wrote:Away end......but please don't sign up to the Little Club Charter.

Given your Gooner roots I'd like to think it was only 8,999 non league spackers singing "Same Old Arsenal, Always Cheating" or "Eee-aye eee-aye o.....up the National League we go" :D
More like 'We're on our way, we're on our way, to the Football League....'

Goonimp

Post by Goonimp »

SteveO 35 wrote:Away end......but please don't sign up to the Little Club Charter.

At least there's going to be a good atmosphere at an Arsenal home game for once :barscarf:

The club have managed to fuck up ticket sales again and have sold more than they should have done at this stage. Looks like there's only a few 100 left with many priority holders still to get theirs. Splease expect many pesky little non-league mongs to be spread around the ground. We stand out a mile - just look out for flat caps and slack-jawed gargoyles.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Goonimp wrote:

At least there's going to be a good atmosphere at an Arsenal home game for once :barscarf:

The club have managed to fuck up ticket sales again and have sold more than they should have done at this stage. Looks like there's only a few 100 left with many priority holders still to get theirs. Splease expect many pesky little non-league mongs to be spread around the ground. We stand out a mile - just look out for flat caps and slack-jawed gargoyles.
:D Enjoy your day mate - hopefully the fans will create a good atmosphere, because the place is like a fucking morgue these days......comparable to the atmosphere in an international airport departure lounge. Just hold back from singing "Same old Arsenal always cheating" - unless you're under the age of 12 of course !

NickF

Post by NickF »

StuartL wrote:

I adopted Southend when I lived about 5 miles away back in the late 70's to 1987 when I moved to Suffolk.

The fact they were in Div 4 usually and div 3 occasionally and they often played on a Friday night so there was never a clash with Arsenal.

Only time they met was In a pre season friendly many years ago, but it would never be a clash on my heartstrings - had we moved to Bristol I might have adopted City or Rovers, Had we moved earlier to Suffolk, I might have adopted Colchester or Cambridge
You can't adopt Colchester after adopting Southend!!!
I remember when football was cheap, always went to Southend on a Friday and then Arsenal on a Saturday.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

NickF wrote:
StuartL wrote:

You can't adopt Colchester after adopting Southend!!!
I remember when football was cheap, always went to Southend on a Friday and then Arsenal on a Saturday.
Lol, no I meant if we had moved to Suffolk instead of Hockley, I could have latched onto Colchester or Cambridge as my little team.

brucers

Post by brucers »

I don't see how any real footie fan can seriously support 2 teams. You can watch another and cheer them on. This 2 team thing is to make up for the lack of glamour and success of following a small club. Half half scarves are a trend for the 'tourist' consumer. I do, however, understand a half half for a big special events.
Slightly aside of that I work in Lincoln and this coming Friday my office is having a dress down day....'to celebrate Lincolns historic cup game against Us. Red and white or green is to be worn (Lincoln colours). If it's red and white they want, then I will be wearing red and white!!