Favourite goals

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Favourite goals

Post by northbank123 »

Sure this must have been done before but I haven't seen it.

TA6 against Everton 98. Completely surreal to see an old school centre half marauding forward and rifling home a half volley on his weaker foot.

Loved Pires lobbing Schmeichel at villa park. Completely class player.

Freddie Ljungberg at Anfield December 2001. That game (down to ten men in the first half and following a tough loss home to Newcastle a few days earlier) summed up everything about that side - champion pedigree. Pires fucking roasted Gerrard and crossed in for Freddie to score, remember being in the front when he went ballistic and jumped into the crowd.

augie

Re: Favourite goals

Post by augie »

You should have said excluding Bergkamp's amazing goal away v the geordies, cos that is clearly the best goal in the history of AFC :barscarf:

After that goal though, I would definitely agree with TA6 goal against the toffee's - to see your leader stride forward and hit a half volley like that with his weaker foot in any game would be special, but to do it in the game where you are crowned League Champions ? It literally doesn't get any better than that 8) :barscarf: :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Brady at the Lane in December 78...Bergkamp at St James Park , Pires at Villa Park and at home to Southampton, It's only Ray Parlour at Cardiff... But Freddie at Anfield in December 2001 for the quality of the goal,the importance of it and the fact we outplayed them despite a red card for Gio . The celebration with the fans after the game wee pure emotional. Keown's clenched fist said we would be Champions..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:moderator: AWOOOOOGAAAAHHH!!! VANITY THREAD ALERT!!! AWOOOOOGAAAAHHH!!! :moderator:

:barscarf: :lol:

But um yeah... we've done this thread I think 253 times now... :lol: :wink:

Anyway, Bergkamp V Toon. Greatest goal ever scored anywhere ever. Thread locked. 8)

:D :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

i know these goals will never make any top100 list, so going to go with goals i have seen in the flesh, my two favourite goals are andy linighan v sheff wed cup replay and the day ian wright got his two v bolton to at then beat the all time scorer record at arsenal.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

When you are right behind the goal it tends to make it all the more memorable.

For that reason, Brady v Tottenham in 1978 stands out, as does this one from Henry v Man United at the Clock End

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qy5iZh86e4

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Not gonna choose the usual ones as they have already been mentioned. One of my favourites was Alan Sunderland's v United in 79 cup final. When you look back at how we threw it away only to get a last minute winner and the way he celebrates too :barscarf:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Fuck there have been so many.Bergkamp v toon is far and away the best it was just insane 8)
Henry's slalom through the scum at Highbury was lovely 8)
Arshavin against Barca at the Emirates deserves a mention too,a class goal (didn't matter a fuck in the long run mind) just a sublime goal from start to finish.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Reyes v Middlesborough was a topper for me.

Was at the game and we were staring defeat in the face and trying to equal Forests record - Pires scores to level it. Still celebrating the equalizer and the fact we were still unbeaten when Reyes scores an absolute rocket with his bad peg :barscarf:

Kanus 3rd v The Chavs was pretty special. 2-0 down with 15 mins to go. Already scored twice to level it and then in injury time in the lashing rain - have that u chavvy wankers :barscarf:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

I would have thought Michael Thomas in May 1989 would have been mentioned :wink:

Given the pressure and mental strength shown 8) and history it must be up there :barscarf:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

[color=#FF0040]Bob Bayliss wrote:When you are right behind the goal it tends to make it all the more memorable. [/color]

For that reason, Brady v Tottenham in 1978 stands out, as does this one from Henry v Man United at the Clock End

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qy5iZh86e4
Which is why I will always choose Charlie George in the '71 cup final. Absolute mayhem ensued.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

You could easily choose 100 goals which you enjoyed for any number of reasons.
I love Vieira's at Stamford Bridge simply because of the perfection of Dennis's pass with the outside of his foot. Vieira never had to break his stride pattern.
But as we all know the list is endless

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Michael Thomas at Anfield is top every time. I also like that scissor kick/volley from Paul Davis v Villa in 1991. Charlie Nicholas's winner v the bindippers in 87 still makes me smile and is a special goal for me.

More modern ones I like are the Pires v Villa in 2002, Henry v the scum in 2002, Bergkamp at Newcastle for its sheer absolute brilliance and perfection and that Ray Parlour cracker v the chavs in the cup final.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Not gonna choose the usual ones as they have already been mentioned. One of my favourites was Alan Sunderland's v United in 79 cup final. When you look back at how we threw it away only to get a last minute winner and the way he celebrates too :barscarf:
Love that goal and that celebration. If you read his lips he is just basically swearing his head off! :lol: :barscarf: 8)