West Bromwich Albion (A) | PL | Sat 18 Mar 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
General

Re: West Bromwich Albion (A) | PL | Sat 18 Mar 12:30

Post by General »

Most teams deploy zonal marking but do it properly. Bould surely must be disgusted by this and hand in his resignation if he's not allowed to have input.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Congrats on the banner. very much doubt if the club put the other plane up. more like someone who's entire living depends on wenger like john cross .
Got bad news for you he's decidedto stay . He now realises the season is going to get worse so announce your staying and hope u can ride the storm.

PS henry norris how can u be proud of fighting a woman ????
I dont understand the zeal in which some of u wanting to scrap akbs .

Babu

Post by Babu »

northbank123 wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:How many goals have we conceded because of zonal marking in the past 12 years?

Most stubborn prick I've ever come across, Wenger. Tactically inept manager.
We have had a string of keepers over that time who are complete flappers and useless in the air, and the only player you ever see regularly win a contested header is Giroud.

Zonal marking gets a tough time over here but we would ship in just as many if we tried to man Mark I reckon.
The problem EDIT ( one of the problems ) is the set-up of the squad.

You can only practise with what you have in the squad.

We have no good target man, so how can the defence be trained when they only have Giroud to defend against in training.
And it was much worse before Giroud.

The defence must come off the training pitch and think to themselves...

Well, we've practised corners and free-kicks, defence versus attack, and didn't concede one goal. We must be great!

The squad is very badly put together, and that's down to one man.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Just watched the highlights and I can say they can all go fuck themselves.

Ox: You know you're value goes up when you're not playing...please go back to that state cos you're as much a liability as Ramsey Walcott and the rest.

Fuck Wenger fuck the board and fuck the players.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Babu wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:How many goals have we conceded because of zonal marking in the past 12 years?

We have had a string of keepers over that time who are complete flappers and useless in the air, and the only player you ever see regularly win a contested header is Giroud.

Zonal marking gets a tough time over here but we would ship in just as many if we tried to man Mark I reckon.
The problem EDIT ( one of the problems ) is the set-up of the squad.

You can only practise with what you have in the squad.

We have no good target man, so how can the defence be trained when they only have Giroud to defend against in training.
And it was much worse before Giroud.

The defence must come off the training pitch and think to themselves...

Well, we've practised corners and free-kicks, defence versus attack, and didn't concede one goal. We must be great!

The squad is very badly put together, and that's down to one man.

Our defense,in training faces our tippy tappy attack, which is of no use facing big, strong, physical teams.

Goalkeeping coach = Gerry Peyton for the last God knows how long, yet all our keepers can't handle corners and crosses.
What's needed is a thorough revamp of every aspect at our club - let Bergkamp do for us what they do at Ajax each season .

Herd

Post by Herd »

Stuart your assuming they practice defense. unless things have changed recently thats not the case. they dont practice defense of set pieces at all. its one of the problems.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

northbank123 wrote:

When you have Tony Adams, Sol Campbell and Patrick Vieira to defend set pieces not a lot gets past them regardless of defensive tactics. Look at our current defenders they are tiny.

Then you get ponses like Ramsey, who i will say again only bothers playing for Wales. All this positional stuff about him playing for Arsenal is bollocks. He wasn't prepared to get his hair ruffled yesterday and take one for the team, consequently we got done.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Herd wrote:Stuart your assuming they practice defense. unless things have changed recently thats not the case. they dont practice defense of set pieces at all. its one of the problems.
Yes agree with you. Didn't Wenger himself say in his pre match interview that they are aware of WBA's threat in set pieces but still we were clueless in the match. So probably wenker was only blowing air from his ass and they did train fuck all set pieces. We concede cheap goals from opponents set pieces all the time so there's enough proof that we don't train defensing them at all.

General

Post by General »

A lot has been made of our shambolic defending but we were equally abysmal with the ball. Nearly 80% possession and we did fukall with it.

I think the worst is yet to come and I can't see how we are going to get anything against Etihad airways. This team is going through the emotions and we are going to end up 6th at best.

armchair

Post by armchair »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

General wrote:Most teams deploy zonal marking but do it properly. Bould surely must be disgusted by this and hand in his resignation if he's not allowed to have input.
He hasn't had any input or the say in "anything" since he put pen to paper to collect his £1.3 million a year. :? :cry: :banghead:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Wenger arrogance is behind the negligence.
We play the same no matter what which makes us as predictable as old faithful. Weve fallen for the exact same corner problem for years. weve been prone to the counter for years . none of this is new. its the same old song.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Friend of mine saw this, apparently on MoTD. Don't know what was said as I haven't seen it.

armchair

Post by armchair »

NickF wrote:Friend of mine saw this, apparently on MoTD. Don't know what was said as I haven't seen it.

Was big graphics on MOTD. My "Time For Change" and "Top Four is NOT a Trophy" along with your "All Good Things Must End"

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

When you have Tony Adams, Sol Campbell and Patrick Vieira to defend set pieces not a lot gets past them regardless of defensive tactics. Look at our current defenders they are tiny.

Then you get ponses like Ramsey, who i will say again only bothers playing for Wales. All this positional stuff about him playing for Arsenal is bollocks. He wasn't prepared to get his hair ruffled yesterday and take one for the team, consequently we got done.
Tiny and/or not aggressive enough I would suggest. Koscielny often gets hailed by many a Gooner as a 'world class' CB but his limitations in these kind of games has been exposed time and time again - give him an Andy Carroll, Jon Walters type and he'll get ragdolled all over the park. As for Mustafi? In these kind of games against the likes of Rondon and the big Baggies centre backs he's about as useful as a handbrake on a canoe

I've said it for years - going back to the likes of Kevin Davies and Jason Roberts knocking our little babies about - you need at least one CB in the squad in the mould of a Shawcross who can cope with that sort of threat in the PL. The truth is that since the likes of the players you mentioned departed nobody in our back line has had the ability to do that. Giroud is actually the only player we have who is worth anything either defending or attacking set plays