Rocky

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Rocky

Post by Herd »

There are many memories of the Rock but an example of his power and passion was in a game away to MUFC .
I couldn't get a ticket in the Arsenal standing section or the seats ,so me and a pal sat in the lower section of the paddock amongst the smelliest
bunch of neanderthals I've ever come across we were trying to be quit but . . . . . . . . . . . .
Rocastle gets the ball in midfield and barges his way through a crowd of players like a man possessed before clipping the deftest of chips which beats Schmeicel hits the cross bar and goes in off the flying back of the great Dane .
Whoosh up we both go much to the chagrin of the mancs ,we looked at each other realised we were screwed so we celebrated like it was the last day of our lives !
The entire stand seemed to be coming over the seats at us but as always happens the ones next to you always melt .
It was 5 mins of pure bedlam before we were dragged out reluctantly by the OB and Stewards with my pal waving an Arsenal banner to the end ,but as we came out into the tunnel half the stand had gathered and jostled us all ,in the end with no way out they let us go into the arsenal standing section ...............happy days !

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Ah brilliant story Herd. 8) 8)

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Late 80s my father- in- law worked as a porter in some posh apartments off Park St in central London. Rocky was visiting a medical /physio doctor guy who lived their and was shown to the appropriate apartment by my father-in-law. Rocky was as charming as you would expect and engaged in conversation and was told that the son-in -law (me) was a massive fan. With that a smiling Rocky took out his Arsenal shirt that he had in his sports bag (number 15 on the back) and gave it to pass on to me. It is still on display in my Arsenal themed converted garage bar.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Think I only saw him play once or twice, as he was coming to an end of his Arsenal run just as I'd started going as a kid.

The day he died was also my 17th b'day, and even though I appreciated he died young, it's only now - approaching 33 myself next week - that I appreciate just how young and sad it all is.

Almost forget that he played for Leeds after he left, as he's synonymous with one club only. Vividly remember watching his amazing goals on video tapes back in the early 90s, and they still hold up today. Way ahead of his time. Will tune in to the BT Sport doc next weekend.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

1987 White Hart Lane Littlewoods Cup semi final replay. They announced booking information at half time while we were 1v0 down. This was the first time since we won the fa cup in 1979 that as a fan you suddenly felt we were on a upward spiral. You all know Rocky came on and scored the winner. I would say this night started Arsenal to become a massive club over the next 20 years. We were big back then but the next 20 years would prove amazing. It wasn't Wenger it was Rocky and his team mates managed by Graham that did it.
Funny that 1995 proved to be dire when our midfield lost Rocky and Thomas.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Does anyone have details on the Rocky walk on Sunday?
I saw the details a while back, but can't seem to find them again....

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

There's a good article by IWWW in the Sun online and apparently BT1 are doing a feature sometime at the weekend.

I didn't realise one of his daughters is working at AFC, which is a nice touch.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Forever Arsenal... RIP Rocky..

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9FdpOIfTw

The obvious goals rocky scored vs the spuds and manure stick out. But for me this is a pure gem, the 3rd goal in a league match vs Boro in 1988/89. I was in the West Lower and had a great view of his run.

This goal is arguably better than TH14's vs Pool.

Gone but never forgotten. RIP Rocky.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9FdpOIfTw

The obvious goals rocky scored vs the spuds and manure stick out. But for me this is a pure gem, the 3rd goal in a league match vs Boro in 1988/89. I was in the West Lower and had a great view of his run.

This goal is arguably better than TH14's vs Pool.

Gone but never forgotten. RIP Rocky.
Spot on nutty

When you remember that we won the league on goals scored because we were level on goal difference with the scousers in 1989, it meant every goal counted. and this one in the last minute, in a match that was already won was very special indeed.
a 2-0 win that day would have left us needing to win by 3 at Anfield !!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

RIP Rocky. If only our manager and players has 1% of Your Quality, Your Character, Your Grace, Your Honesty - You were a 'Fighter' you are a Legend. :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

When we were at Anfield for the cup match in 88/89 season Rocky scored a stunner, the travelling fans ( of which there were 6/7000 went bonkers and my mate Lee lost his glasses in the hub bub.
From then on Rocky' s chant for us became
" Oh Rocky, Rocky"
"Rocky, Rocky, Rocky where's me glasses gone"

Loved Rockys passion, love of Arsenal, love of football.

His on pitch performances were a joy to watch, as his work rate matched his skill.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

absolute gent. as i assume many others have here i read his biography by james leighton and i admit shed a tear or too at some points.

lovely lovely man, hope he's up there watching when his name is sung on sunday :barscarf:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

supergeorgegraham wrote:1987 White Hart Lane Littlewoods Cup semi final replay. They announced booking information at half time while we were 1v0 down. This was the first time since we won the fa cup in 1979 that as a fan you suddenly felt we were on a upward spiral. You all know Rocky came on and scored the winner. I would say this night started Arsenal to become a massive club over the next 20 years. We were big back then but the next 20 years would prove amazing. It wasn't Wenger it was Rocky and his team mates managed by Graham that did it.
Funny that 1995 proved to be dire when our midfield lost Rocky and Thomas.
Remember that night well mate, the whole squad,manager,coaches and fans were united that night .We were The Arsenal,the swamp emptied as we celebrated on the terraces all around the ground and on the pitch with the players.Thats the spirit and togetherness that Wenger has eradicated from our club the players we have now don't give a shit about the fans.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Yes met Rocastle, lovely fella, what immediately hit you was his humbleness and humility.....never mind football he was a true gentleman

RIP Rocky