Rocky

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Rocky

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know we've done this thread before but I don't give a shit. Let's post our memories of him in the build up to Rocky's 16th (my God where have the years gone?!) anniversary on 31st March which is also my beautiful daughter's birthday - if she had been a boy she was getting called David. Or Bergkamp. :D :wink:

Can I ask that our usual Devil's Advocate types fuck off and don't post any shit like "he was over-rated" because you know in your heart you are being an internet twat and that is horseshit. There was a reason David Dein said ‘I’ve seen the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you’ll ever see... in our Academy…..and he’s from Lewisham!’ 8)

flash gunner

Re: Rocky

Post by flash gunner »

At the end of the 89-90 season as the players did a lap of honour i managed to get myself from the clock end to the front of the West stand right up the front. As the players went round i reached my hand out and the only one that came over was Rocky and shook my hand. Was overjoyed :barscarf: and its something i will never forget.

Great player, lovely bloke, true Gooner

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

About 1987/88, it was midweek, during the day and i turned up at the main entrance to buy some tickets at the box office, As I was about to enter, Rocky appeared a the door about to leave, so we almost literally bumped into each other. He was alone and in his club blazer and trousers (where have those days gone ?). I don't mind saying that I was struck by that child-like kind of awe and for a split second we both stood there. He then apologised for being in my way and stood back to let me walk through, I was struck by his manners and his lack of self importance. Not much of a story I know, but meant a lot at the time and still does.

Can you imagine if that happened with one of our current crop? I'm sure most of them would have pushed me out of the way and knocked me down the steps !

And what a player ! Those first couple of seasons under George, he was electric. The whole stadium would suddenly buzz when the ball was played out to him on the wing.

LEGEND.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

B.T. Sport are going to show a documentary about "Rocky" in the near future,I think it is called ,"The Boy from Brockley." :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:B.T. Sport are going to show a documentary about "Rocky" in the near future,I think it is called ,"The Boy from Brockley." :barscarf:
BT1HD are showing "Rocky and Wrighty" on April 1st at 9pm too. :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:B.T. Sport are going to show a documentary about "Rocky" in the near future,I think it is called ,"The Boy from Brockley." :barscarf:
BT1HD are showing "Rocky and Wrighty" on April 1st at 9pm too. :barscarf:
That could be the one mate

Clash

Post by Clash »

Rocky looked the part right from the start. His debut was a 0-0 draw at home to Newcastle on a Saturday afternoon around 1985 I think.

The thing I will always remember is Rocky picking up the ball on the edge of our box at the north bank end ... and running the entire length of the field with the crowd roaring him on. It came to nothing in the end as he got tackled just outside the box at the clock end but the whole crowd was fans buzzing and those in the stands were on their feet.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Anyone here go to the replay against Luton in the FA Cup where we were awful and got hammered 3-0 it was just before GG took over.

I can tell you it was a night where the team got booed off the pitch after coming over to the away end....all except one player David Rocastle who was not only a class player but he cared and always,always gave every effort leaving it all on the pitch.

David Rocastle was an absolute privilege to watch,whatever the opposition and conditions when you looked for a player to stand up and fight for The Arsenal he was a real torchbearer for the renaissance that was about to happen under George Graham....how I wish we had a midfield player like him today.

REB

Post by REB »

Sean

Post by Sean »

Sadly before my time, but everything I have heard about Rocky tells me he was a class act. A proper Arsenal man.

That 80s youth crop was something else; Rocky, Adams, Merson, Thomas... All knitted together into winners by GG. Sadly we've never had a youth crop close to that since.

As I said in the nostalgia thread, there's a BT Sport documentary about Rocky and Wrighty on April 1st.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Retro Gunner wrote:About 1987/88, it was midweek, during the day and i turned up at the main entrance to buy some tickets at the box office, As I was about to enter, Rocky appeared a the door about to leave, so we almost literally bumped into each other. He was alone and in his club blazer and trousers (where have those days gone ?). I don't mind saying that I was struck by that child-like kind of awe and for a split second we both stood there. He then apologised for being in my way and stood back to let me walk through, I was struck by his manners and his lack of self importance. Not much of a story I know, but meant a lot at the time and still does.

Can you imagine if that happened with one of our current crop? I'm sure most of them would have pushed me out of the way and knocked me down the steps !

And what a player ! Those first couple of seasons under George, he was electric. The whole stadium would suddenly buzz when the ball was played out to him on the wing.

LEGEND.
Quality post,

I was at Charing Cross station in maybe 88-89,this bloke comes off the platform towards me,tracksuit and bag over his shoulder,I'm looking at him thinking this geezer looks familiar,he see's me looking at him,and starts to smile,I'm like "Rocky?" massive smile breaks out across his face,"Yes mate,are you a fan?"....I'm like yes mate,he stops,shake hands and have a chat for a bit,then he says I got to go,Mickey Thomas is outside picking me up for training........I was about 16-17 I guess.
An Arsenal legend on the fucking TRAIN from Lewisham,no Billy big bollocks about him,just a normal bloke,

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

He just looked so elegant in everything he did. The way he carried the ball, the way he just used to swerve around the opposition like he was on ice skates and the way he just looked like he was having a good time all the time. That clenched fist at Anfield in 89 just before Smudger's header will always stick with me, as will the image of him, Kevin Richardson and George Graham all embracing each other after the final whistle. He was just a proper Arsenal man.

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:He just looked so elegant in everything he did. The way he carried the ball, the way he just used to swerve around the opposition like he was on ice skates and the way he just looked like he was having a good time all the time. That clenched fist at Anfield in 89 just before Smudger's header will always stick with me, as will the image of him, Kevin Richardson and George Graham all embracing each other after the final whistle. He was just a proper Arsenal man.
To true mate what we would give to have a legend like Rocky in that shambles that Wenger calls a team today.

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

Saw him in a night club in Largs, Scotland on the pre season tour in summer 87 ( initially I clocked him in the gents - naturally I tried not to stare too much - :lol: ) and had a brief chat with him when we both walked back outside about that days game at Morton and hopes for 87/88 season. Lovely sincere bloke, we went our separate ways, and as half the then current first team were in the club I ended up chatting to Steve Williams for a while ( who was hilarious with stories slagging off John Cartwright but I digress).

I was out of London at an all day event in reading on the Saturday the news broke that he had died , and as in those days it wasn't as easy to keep in touch with football when on the move, so I didn't hear anything from the Spurs game, until I got home around 6 and stuck on teletext ( wow! That dates it) with the intention of checking the NLD score, but immediately that was forgotten when I saw the huge headline. I absolutely froze stunned . On the Sunday I managed to persuade my now wife ( who I hadn't known that long then) to come with me over to Highbury and lay some flowers on the steps of the marble halls, which a few people had done already.

One thing I will say - when I'd watched the coverage and game on MOTD was the minutes silence. Whilst we feel about the spuds the way we do and there is a lot of nastiness on both sides down the years, their fans were impeccable for holding the silence for rocky that day, when there could of easily have been some horrible comments made, and - as I say to spuds fans I have got to know socially over the years- I'll always thank them for that .

markyp

Post by markyp »

one of the few players of past generations who would have still cut it today, Rocky had everything except good knees, he would have slotted straight into modern day Arsenal the only difference being he knew what it was to represent us unlike todays crop of wet wipes