Chants at Protests and Away Games

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mattyb

Re: Chants at Protests and Away Games

Post by mattyb »

Retro Gunner wrote:Matty, we do need some organisation and a lead with the singing at the protests. Sunday wasn't too good and there were often two groups singing different things and some uncomfortable long pauses. I'm not sure the megaphone was effective either as it drowns out the rest and isn't a nice sound (especially as Pete was hardly Pavarotti !! :lol: :wink: ). The megaphone is ok to get a chant or song going, but once the mob join in it might be best to stop the megaphone and then use it to start the next song. This does put the onus on the person with the megaphone to be really on top of things and should probably have a sheet with the chants on it to refer to, as it's the gaps in between that kill the momentum.

I posted some ideas for songs on the protest thread (I think) a while back, but don't know how to find them in the system, without trawling through the whole lot....which I ain't gonna do !

It's Wenger and his double-speak bollocks that we need to highlight if possible, to make people think.

i thought of this the other day, but don't know how people would feel singing it.....personally, I think it makes a very strong point, referencing the piss taking from our rivals :

They want you to stay
They want you to staayyy
Tottenham and Chelsea
They want you to stay

Oh and DB....it does fucking scan ! :wink:
I agree with you on the chanting retro..will try out your suggestion. There will always be some doubling up but that soon merges into one..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:Matty, we do need some organisation and a lead with the singing at the protests. Sunday wasn't too good and there were often two groups singing different things and some uncomfortable long pauses. I'm not sure the megaphone was effective either as it drowns out the rest and isn't a nice sound (especially as Pete was hardly Pavarotti !! :lol: :wink: ). The megaphone is ok to get a chant or song going, but once the mob join in it might be best to stop the megaphone and then use it to start the next song. This does put the onus on the person with the megaphone to be really on top of things and should probably have a sheet with the chants on it to refer to, as it's the gaps in between that kill the momentum.

I posted some ideas for songs on the protest thread (I think) a while back, but don't know how to find them in the system, without trawling through the whole lot....which I ain't gonna do !

It's Wenger and his double-speak bollocks that we need to highlight if possible, to make people think.

i thought of this the other day, but don't know how people would feel singing it.....personally, I think it makes a very strong point, referencing the piss taking from our rivals :

They want you to stay
They want you to staayyy
Tottenham and Chelsea
They want you to stay

Doesn't sca- oh, hang on... it actually DOES scan!! :shock:

First one that scans on this thread. Actually, first one on this forum! :barscarf: :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

They want you to stay
They want you to staayyy
Tottenham and Chelsea
They want you to stay

Doesn't sca- oh, hang on... it actually DOES scan!! :shock:

First one that scans on this thread. Actually, first one on this forum! :barscarf: :lol: :wink:

:barscarf: :barscarf:
I'm not composing any more protest songs......I'm quitting while I'm ahead ! :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

I dont know why but there only seems to be about 4 or 5 different tunes used for football songs these days. Not sure about this one really but this was always a favourite tune of mine in the Graham days.

We're on the march in Arsenal's army
We're all Gooners thru and thru
So we're gonna sing and shout
'till we've hounded Wenger out
And then Kroenke we're coming after you!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clash wrote:I dont know why but there only seems to be about 4 or 5 different tunes used for football songs these days. Not sure about this one really but this was always a favourite tune of mine in the Graham days.

Does that last line scan ?? :rubchin:

Someone important is gonna be inspecting this and getting back to you Clash. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Clash wrote:I dont know why but there only seems to be about 4 or 5 different tunes used for football songs these days. Not sure about this one really but this was always a favourite tune of mine in the Graham days.

Someone important is gonna be inspecting this and getting back to you Clash. :lol: :wink:
Flash is not IMPOTENT - he has kids! :shock:

Oh, hang on... :D :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

That's a shame you're not impotent Flash.....if you had been, Wenger would have signed you to play up front on £100,00 a week.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

That's a shame you're not impotent Flash.....if you had been, Wenger would have signed you to play up front on £100,00 a week.
:lol: :lol:

General

Post by General »

I thought the megaphone wasn't too bad but agreed it should simply get a chant going and mustn't drown out the rest. I took over from Pete after the bridge mind . I think we are generally lacking a bit of stamina and it was probably worse against Lincoln when we got to the directors entrance. We definitely need more short sharp shrift chants to go with the traditional songs. I tried to get she wore going on Sunday but it just wouldn't happen.

We're bigger than you
We're bigger than you
Arsene Wenger
We're bigger than you.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

swap then and Kroenke and it's fine.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I suggested these in the protest thread:
Sean wrote:I've thought of some songs:

Tear up that contract! (x4)

To the tune of 'Fuck off, Mourinho'.

Seeing as he's already been offered the contract we're protesting against...

We know you're a fraud,
We know you're a frau-au-au-d!
Arsene Wenger,
We know you're a fraud!

You're holding us back,
You're holding us ba-a-ack,
Arsene Wenger,
You're holding us back!

You're not wanted anymore!
You're not wanted anymore.
You're not wanted,
You're not wanted,
You're not wanted anymore!

Same old Wenger,
Always failing!

To the tune of 'Same old Arsenal...'

10-2 loss,
He still won't leave.
10-2 loss,
He still won't leave.

To the tune of '6%, you're having a laugh'.

We need more songs about the salient points, like:
  • His £8.3M salary
    13 years of failure in the league
    19 years of failure in the CL