The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

Post by Redarmy »

Defence and midfield plus goalkeeper are dire.....we are tactically inept......everyone knows how to play against us

Wenger after a decent striker after spending £52 million only a year ago (who now looks lost)

Nothing will be said, this nightmare is never ending...

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Our squad is actually better than a distant 6th place finish.

We are a million miles away from winning the league, but challenging for the top should be the bare minimum.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Batshuayi has agreed to go to Dortmund on loan (BBC) so it should all complete today, Chavs wouldn’t let him go if Giroud wasn’t all agreed.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am
Batshuayi has agreed to go to Dortmund on loan (BBC) so it should all complete today, Chavs wouldn’t let him go if Giroud wasn’t all agreed.
Ox to Liverpool, Sanchez to United, Giroud to Chelsea.....is there enough time in the window to send someone to City and the scum?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am
TeeCee wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am
Ox to Liverpool, Sanchez to United, Giroud to Chelsea.....is there enough time in the window to send someone to City and the scum?
Yes..our manager but unfortunately he is loyal to his contract

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

I wonder if our transfer wheeler dealers told Wenger to have a clear out of shit players before we plunged into the market, should that be so then well done to our new acquisition and disposal...
Perhaps you can get rid of Wenger too, poison dart trapdoor!....

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Alex Song at the training ground and available on a free transfer.
God help us!
:banghead:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think Aubameyang is a top, top striker, but what's the point of signing one of the fastest forwards in world football if we're going toplay walking pace football?

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

We won't make top 4 and boomerang will push for a transfer in the summer I predict.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

We won't make top 4 and boomerang will push for a transfer in the summer I predict.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

This reminds me of the fag end of the Terry Neil and Don Howe era.

Some very decent big-name strikers (Woodcock, Mariner, Charlie Nick) but a powder-puff midfield, a poor defence (Caton, Chrissie Whyte, Colin Hill) and - dare I say - a goalkeeper who had once been world class but was now well past his best (Big Pat).

Is anyone remotely excited by this bloke signing? I am sure he knows where the net is, but he will make very little difference to.our fortunes.

augie

Post by augie »

Alan Smith has said on ssn that he thinks these new signings have been done with wenkers input and it suggests a transfer of some of the power away from the french c.unt (my words not his :wink: ). It has been said by many of the fans on here already, but I love to see a respected pundit (and former player) come out and openly say it 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Had to laugh at Frankie Boyle on twatter there -
Your club has bought some journeyman midfielder sexcase for the price of a hospital.
:lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am
This reminds me of the fag end of the Terry Neil and Don Howe era.

Some very decent big-name strikers (Woodcock, Mariner, Charlie Nick) but a powder-puff midfield, a poor defence (Caton, Chrissie Whyte, Colin Hill) and - dare I say - a goalkeeper who had once been world class but was now well past his best (Big Pat).

Is anyone remotely excited by this bloke signing? I am sure he knows where the net is, but he will make very little difference to.our fortunes.

He could be, if Lord Wenger changed tactics, so we all know what the outcome will be.

I feel sorry for Lacazette; what's the point of buying him and then playing tactics which totally don't suit him.

I remember years ago, Shearer saying that strikers hate it when wide players feint to cross then don't, because the strikers have already made two runs and then have to put the brakes on, make more runs, but without knowing if the ball will ever come into the area.

Imagine being a striker in our team :cussing: You could make runs back and forth for five minutes while our midfield play their favorite sideways / backwards passes. You'll definitely get knackered and will almost definitely lose heart. Then, if the ball does come into the area, you'll be the only Arsenal player there, surrounded by half a dozen defenders.

I honestly believe that TH14 would have struggled in this team.

For me the solution is a back four and two strikers. Lacazette's first touch and passing are pretty good, but we'd have to play much more quickly, so I'm not holding my breath.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If only our defence was as good as our forward-line. :?