The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
robbo10

Re: The Fake News Summer Transfer Thread

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 pm
MrT wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm
Gabriel about to sign for Valencia.
Dreams can come true.. 8)
Very good Falkirk :barscarf: :-P
Not sure many caught on.
You pesky yoof and your 90s music! :wink: :lol: :lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Any update on those reinforcements??

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Everton have made some great signings over the summer, and their first-choice starting 11 (including the likes of Coleman and Barkley) is probably on a par with ours and Liverpool's.

Whether they have as much depth in their squad remains to be seen, especially given that they seem determined to put out their first team for Europa League matches (which I admire), but they are at least showing genuine ambition while Wenger is as usual on cruise control as we approach the transfer window with underwhelming business done.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:19 am
Everton have made some great signings over the summer, and their first-choice starting 11 (including the likes of Coleman and Barkley) is probably on a par with ours and Liverpool's.

Whether they have as much depth in their squad remains to be seen, especially given that they seem determined to put out their first team for Europa League matches (which I admire), but they are at least showing genuine ambition while Wenger is as usual on cruise control as we approach the transfer window with underwhelming business done.
Thumpings at both Stoke & Liverpool would shake him out of his lethargy and get him off on one of his mad trolley dashes. Unfortunately Stoke won't be up to it, neither will Liverpool. So this mediocrity will continue. It will just be a re run of the past 10 years.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Wenger revealed earlier this week that there is still the possibility of an ‘exceptional’ player joining the club before the summer transfer window closes.
‘We are open to an exceptional player,’ Wenger told Sky Sports.

I'm at the edge of my seat here !
Last edited by Herd on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Herd wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am
Wenger revealed earlier this week that there is still the possibility of an ‘exceptional’ player joining the club before the summer transfer window closes.
‘We are open to an exceptional player,’ Wenger told Sky Sports.

I'm at the edge of my seat hear !
An "exceptional" player will cost over 100m and Wenger will never pay that. And also, tbh, is there anybody out there who is exceptional enough to improve on who we already have?? :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Maybe if he forces Sanchez to stay he will be the "exceptional" signing as we all thought he was leaving??

Anyway, why are we worrying about all this, Mr. 30 years has his steady unwavering hand on the wheel....... all we need to do is sit back and be entertained. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

made me laugh too X !

GTG

Post by GTG »

Get your entries in now for this seasons Virtual XI of the players we "Tried" to sign or had on trial but decided wasn't good enough.

The only notable difference from this summer to the last one is I havent seen a picture of Mr Burns coming down a fucking water slide during pre season

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

So now it is only "exceptional player(s)" rather than the fabled "super super player(s)"

I'm confused. :rubchin: :roll: :banghead:

As others have said not expecting anything other than another season of fighting for the 4th place trophy and probably failing even at that, in Wenger we rust, but you won't be getting any of my money - Stan, Arsene, Sky, BT. :twisted:

Little victories and all that..

beck

Post by beck »

GTG wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am
Get your entries in now for this seasons Virtual XI of the players we "Tried" to sign or had on trial but decided wasn't good enough.

The only notable difference from this summer to the last one is I havent seen a picture of Mr Burns coming down a fucking water slide during pre season
Believe it or not that was 6 years ago at the time when clichy had just left
Fabregas and nasri wanted to leave
Still we finally had ryo myachi back from feyenoord on loan
It was on the back of that summer following our shocking end to the season prior
Plus our poor start to the 11 /12 season that should have seen Wenger sacked after defeat at Spurs in October
And ancelotti who was living in London installed as instant replacement
Instead we had the utter bollocks of "you can't replace a manager mid season"
Any time is the right time to get rid of a manager not doing his job properly

NickF

Post by NickF »

Read this BBC headline wrong and nearly had a heart attack. :shock:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Thats a very signing by them up the road.
Exceptional player Van Dijk, Carvalho, or Draxler. All 3 would do us well but...never going to happen.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I can still recall the days when we only went hunting for "super quality". A week later Park, Santos, and the non jumping German arrived! Then we were saved from "dizzying prices" by Gervinho

Is exceptional an upgrade on super? If so, we can look forward to some glory days ahead

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:46 am
I can still recall the days when we only went hunting for "super quality". A week later Park, Santos, and the non jumping German arrived! Then we were saved from "dizzying prices" by Gervinho

Is exceptional an upgrade on super? If so, we can look forward to some glory days ahead
Gervinho. What a complete Wanker he was. Fuck me, we've had a lot of absolute disasters playing for us in the last 12 years. Him and Chamakh. Fucking hell.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:46 am

Gervinho. What a complete Wanker he was. Fuck me, we've had a lot of absolute disasters playing for us in the last 12 years. Him and Chamakh. Fucking hell.
Arsene FC clowns XI

Almunia

Eboue Djourou Silvestre Santos

Denilson Flamini Diaby

Chamakh Sanogo Gervinho

Oh and a bench full of clowns - Flapianski, Squillaci, Park Chu Yeung, Bendter, Walcott, Kallstrom

:mrgreen: