The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
General

Re: The Fake News Summer Transfer Thread

Post by General »

The same fans who complained about selling Robin to United are the same ones complaining why we kept hold of Sanchez and didn't take the money. The root cause was allowing a key player to run down his contract to the last year and it's unlikely the club would've re-invested the money anyway. I find the Ox debacle more annoying as he'd made it clear he was off yet Wonga played him at Anfied. I believe the Sanchez situation is purely down to money and the club hasn't offered as much as the media are reporting.

I recall Fergie had a similar situation with Fergie when he dragged out signing a new contract and Fergie effectively bullied him into signing it.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

General wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 pm
The same fans who complained about selling Robin to United are the same ones complaining why we kept hold of Sanchez and didn't take the money. The root cause was allowing a key player to run down his contract to the last year and it's unlikely the club would've re-invested the money anyway. I find the Ox debacle more annoying as he'd made it clear he was off yet Wonga played him at Anfied. I believe the Sanchez situation is purely down to money and the club hasn't offered as much as the media are reporting.

I recall Fergie had a similar situation with Fergie when he dragged out signing a new contract and Fergie effectively bullied him into signing it.
It also displays a clear lack of planning or vision for the corporation (club?) because clearly earlier in the summer we intended to keep him, then late on decided we should sell him, if we were going to sell him we should have spent the whole summer recruiting players who could 'replace' Sanchez, now I know this is nigh on impossible with one player, however with a number of additions that we really needed anyway, we could change our style( if we have one) to something different that doesn't rely on one player.

But corporate-think took over again, surprise surprise, we can't go out and spend all that money (that Stan needs to guarantee his LA Rams project) and risk not being able to sell Sanchez to PSG or anyone (apart from City), so we dithered which is what we do best and ended up with very few new players and an unmotivated Sanchez who is waiting to leave in 9 months.

Welcome to Arsene Stanley PLC and get used to it because even when the old fart leaves he'll be replaced with another bean counting old fart.

:banghead:

NickF

Post by NickF »

General wrote:

I don't agree, I believe it is more about the player's ambition vs the clubs complete lack of ambition.

General

Post by General »

NickF wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:32 pm
General wrote:

I don't agree, I believe it is more about the player's ambition vs the clubs complete lack of ambition.
That was what happened with Robin, I'm not sure that's the case here and I would question why Sanchez would enter into protracted contract negotiations if he felt the club lacked ambition and he wanted out. Ox made it clear he wants to play central or he's off. For me that's clear cut, Sanchez's wasn't. The club kept increasing the salary offer which suggests at the very least money was at the heart of negotiations.

General

Post by General »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:18 pm
General wrote:

It also displays a clear lack of planning or vision for the corporation (club?) because clearly earlier in the summer we intended to keep him, then late on decided we should sell him, if we were going to sell him we should have spent the whole summer recruiting players who could 'replace' Sanchez, now I know this is nigh on impossible with one player, however with a number of additions that we really needed anyway, we could change our style( if we have one) to something different that doesn't rely on one player.

But corporate-think took over again, surprise surprise, we can't go out and spend all that money (that Stan needs to guarantee his LA Rams project) and risk not being able to sell Sanchez to PSG or anyone (apart from City), so we dithered which is what we do best and ended up with very few new players and an unmotivated Sanchez who is waiting to leave in 9 months.

Welcome to Arsene Stanley PLC and get used to it because even when the old fart leaves he'll be replaced with another bean counting old fart.

Poor planning is definitely at the heart of this footballing mess. Wonga has created a bottle neck where everything has to go through him. If we had a director of football, this would've been avoided. At any other club, the manager names his transfer targets and the club deals with the rest. Look at Chelsea, once it became obvious Matic wanted to go to United, they promptly moved him and brought in a replacement. We are the most irrational club in world football.

I remember the 05/06 season when Wonga demolished the unbeaten squad overnight and we suddenly ended with a team that couldn't compete physically. It was Dein who went and closed out the deals for Diaby and Adebayor in the Jan transfer window to help kick start out season. The fraud has a long history of creating this mess, only there isn't a Dein around to knock some common sense into him this time around. No idea why Gazidis is still hanging around here. He needs to fuck off back to the MLS.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

General wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:18 pm
General wrote:

Poor planning is definitely at the heart of this footballing mess. Wonga has created a bottle neck where everything has to go through him. If we had a director of football, this would've been avoided. At any other club, the manager names his transfer targets and the club deals with the rest. Look at Chelsea, once it became obvious Matic wanted to go to United, they promptly moved him and brought in a replacement. We are the most irrational club in world football.

I remember the 05/06 season when Wonga demolished the unbeaten squad overnight and we suddenly ended with a team that couldn't compete physically. It was Dein who went and closed out the deals for Diaby and Adebayor in the Jan transfer window to help kick start out season. The fraud has a long history of creating this mess, only there isn't a Dein around to knock some common sense into him this time around. No idea why Gazidis is still hanging around here. He needs to fuck off back to the MLS.
Director of Football?? how can we have one of these Wenger does not know what it is...is it directing traffic? to quote the great man....

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 am

Director of Football?? how can we have one of these Wenger does not know what it is...is it directing traffic? to quote the great man....
Hopefully the first thing the new DoF does is direct Wenger.......... towards the exit door

:roll:

General

Post by General »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UudZsi5Qn4s&feature=share

There is a lot of truth in what this man is saying, especially the bit about our top transfer negotiator taking a 2week holiday. I'm not sure about the jump up in fee from £75m to £92m but it's clear once Liverpool joined the party the price went up. Likely our bid included incentives like appearances and CL qualification.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

I agree with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7d1N5vrss got bored after 0:48 and just stared at her tits.

:twisted:

Herd

Post by Herd »

You cannot force a player to leave and you can't force them to play anywhere you want them to.
This isn't the same in US sports like baseball or NFL however Dick Law struggles with this concept just as wenger doesn't understand why he can't sell players that earn 2 or three times their market value .

Wenger and Law love this brinkmanship deadline day BS as this happens in the US and is known as draft day one of Kevin Costners better films but experience has shown the model doesn't apply to football. he who hesitates is lost in today's game.

Wenger cannot understand the rapid change in player prices either.In recent years these often occur when there's a leap in 1 players selling price which then has a domino affects on similar players .
In 2013-4 it was Falcao to monaco and shortly after the Cavanni to PSG transfer that left Napoli with money to burn so the Price for Higuain who Arsenal had been stalking and nickle n diming Madrid for over a month price shot up from 27 million euros to 40 million euros over-night ,Arsenal were caught cold !
Gazidis correctly identified too that Dick Law is a prick who quite literally trolls and banters with every club/agent in europe enquiring on the price of just about every player which is why we are linked to a lot of players all the time .

Our entire transfer approach is a shambles and it's failures are systemic as our playing faults are and our injury fiasco is and the teams selection is they will happen again and again with the same results .

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:44 am
You cannot force a player to leave and you can't force them to play anywhere you want them to.
This isn't the same in US sports like baseball or NFL however Dick Law struggles with this concept just as wenger doesn't understand why he can't sell players that earn 2 or three times their market value .

Wenger and Law love this brinkmanship deadline day BS as this happens in the US and is known as draft day one of Kevin Costners better films but experience has shown the model doesn't apply to football. he who hesitates is lost in today's game.

Wenger cannot understand the rapid change in player prices either.In recent years these often occur when there's a leap in 1 players selling price which then has a domino affects on similar players .
In 2013-4 it was Falcao to monaco and shortly after the Cavanni to PSG transfer that left Napoli with money to burn so the Price for Higuain who Arsenal had been stalking and nickle n diming Madrid for over a month price shot up from 27 million euros to 40 million euros over-night ,Arsenal were caught cold !
Gazidis correctly identified too that Dick Law is a prick who quite literally trolls and banters with every club/agent in europe enquiring on the price of just about every player which is why we are linked to a lot of players all the time .

Our entire transfer approach is a shambles and it's failures are systemic as our playing faults are and our injury fiasco is and the teams selection is they will happen again and again with the same results .

I absolutely agree with you on that point, but the issue for me is that he doesn't want to or is unable to, recognize that HIS OWN wages have also sky rocketed in recent years as a consequence of increased money movement in the game - he never questions or feel disgusted about the ridiculous salary that he is getting, yet the huge transfer fee's are offensive to him :roll: Hypocritical b**tard :evil: :evil: :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Herd wrote:

Wenger cannot understand the rapid change in player prices either.In recent years these often occur when there's a leap in 1 players selling price which then has a domino effect on similar players .

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

General wrote:

Fergie bullied himself into signing?!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 am
General wrote:

Fergie bullied himself into signing?!
Rooney

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 am
Herd wrote:

Wenger cannot understand the rapid change in player prices either.In recent years these often occur when there's a leap in 1 players selling price which then has a domino effect on similar players .

What are you on about Gazidis says its been a success :D :D :D :D

Its all positive from Gazidis, mind you on £3 million a year for doing nothing life would look rosy

'At the end of the window, reviewing all activity, we have once again improved the depth and quality of the squad,' Gazidis wrote in an email sent to players and staff on Friday via the Daily Star.
'Everything is coloured by results... a positive performance at Liverpool would have coloured this transfer window very differently,' he continued.
'We have had a poor start to the season but have the quality to turn it around and turn around performances and compete for the title'.