The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Summer Transfer Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Theoperator wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Sanchez won't end up at the chav. Wenger is too cunning for that. He knows that would push a good few fence sitters into the WOB camp. :roll:
Absolutely, I mean who would be so stupid to sell your best player to another competitor :oops: :oops: :oops:
Right.

Or who would be so stupid to refuse to buy back a world class midfielder and let him fuck off to Chelsea because it would kill Ramsey.
.... at a time when the AKB were 90% of our fanbase. At a time when the media were not questioning Wenger's ability. At a time when the WOB were a tiny fraction of our fans. At a time when Ramsey was obviously delivering in pre season and then went onto have his best season in an Arsenal jersey (2014) and when many pundits were (mistakenly) calling Ramsey world class - which in Wenger's mind justified that mistake. Try and keep up. Wenger is nothing if he is not cunning. He knows there has been a major swing in the media and the fanbase and he will ride it out. He'll let Sanchez go but it won't be to the chav. :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Theoperator wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Sanchez won't end up at the chav. Wenger is too cunning for that. He knows that would push a good few fence sitters into the WOB camp. :roll:
Absolutely, I mean who would be so stupid to sell your best player to another competitor :oops: :oops: :oops:
Right.

Or who would be so stupid to refuse to buy back a world class midfielder and let him fuck off to Chelsea because it would kill Ramsey.
.... at a time when the AKB were 90% of our fanbase. At a time when the media were not questioning Wenger's ability. At a time when the WOB were a tiny fraction of our fans. At a time when Ramsey was obviously delivering in pre season and then went onto have his best season in an Arsenal jersey (2014) and when many pundits were (mistakenly) calling Ramsey world class - which in Wenger's mind justified that mistake. Try and keep up. Wenger is nothing if he is not cunning. He knows there has been a major swing in the media and the fanbase and he will ride it out. He'll let Sanchez go but it won't be to the chav. :roll:

My Dear Chap, regardless of the thread and the tenure of the debate, DO NOT big up Ramsey. Repeat, do not refer to his lucky 3 months and never big him up.

Never. EVER.

Thank you.

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Theoperator wrote:
Right.

My Dear Chap, regardless of the thread and the tenure of the debate, DO NOT big up Ramsey. Repeat, do not refer to his lucky 3 months and never big him up.

Never. EVER.

Thank you.

:lol: :lol: I did qualify my points about the useless Welsh Messi-Lite, in fairness. :lol: :wink:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:oops: However TBF wasnt he pretty good for Wales last Summer :? I know he is well out of favour on here, but perhaps as with a number of our players there is a nugget of a great player there, just a load of poor backroom staff :oops:

I honestly truly wouldnt put it past the club to sell Sanchez to The Chavs- if the moneys right (For "us" )he will go, and probably leave TY to pick up the dog shit :evil:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Theoperator wrote:
Right.

Never. EVER.

Thank you.

:lol: :lol: I did qualify my points about the useless Welsh Messi-Lite, in fairness. :lol: :wink:

Hmmm, perhaps, but.........NOT FUCKING ENOUGH !!!!

Qualify, re-qualify and over qualify. Correction, it isn't possible to over qualify his crapness !!

You know what.....such is the media myth about this complete liability of a player, that we'd easily get 20 million plus for him. This bloke is not just crap, but he genuinely is a lisbility, who puts us in trouble with his misplaced passes and fucked up flicks. He's sure to start against City and he'll be totally eclipsed in midfield. Ffs, he looked shit against Lincoln !

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Theoperator wrote::oops: However TBF wasnt he pretty good for Wales last Summer :? I know he is well out of favour on here, but perhaps as with a number of our players there is a nugget of a great player there, just a load of poor backroom staff :oops:

I honestly truly wouldnt put it past the club to sell Sanchez to The Chavs- if the moneys right (For "us" )he will go, and probably leave TY to pick up the dog shit :evil:

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous answer......NEVER EVER big up Ramsey. There is no excuse for doing so, whether in reference to an unprecedented and never repeated 3 months (it was NOT a full season), or some flick-fest free role for Wales.

He is useless, end of.

Anyone who disagrees with this is either a woman, gay, or mental.

There, that should do it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Theoperator wrote::oops: However TBF wasnt he pretty good for Wales last Summer :? I know he is well out of favour on here, but perhaps as with a number of our players there is a nugget of a great player there, just a load of poor backroom staff :oops:

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous answer......NEVER EVER big up Ramsey. There is no excuse for doing so, whether in reference to an unprecedented and never repeated 3 months (it was NOT a full season), or some flick-fest free role for Wales.

He is useless, end of.

:?

Would a Mental Woman who is Gay qualify then?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

He is useless, end of.

:?

Would a Mental Woman who is Gay qualify then?

Of course OBG.....please step forward.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

IIRC he was good for most of that season, apart of course from the inevitable AFC injury time out wasnt he :? . It wasnt just his flick ons, it was the overall play, something we havent properly had for years- the decisive forward thrusts that only a gay woman thats going mental would understand old chap 8) :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Theoperator wrote:IIRC he was good for most of that season, apart of course from the inevitable AFC injury time out wasnt he :? . It wasnt just his flick ons, it was the overall play, something we havent properly had for years- the decisive forward thrusts that only a gay woman thats going mental would understand old chap 8) :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Right, time to come clean. In case you all hadn't noticed :wink: , I struggle a little with the idea of Ramsey as a Premiership footballer and ESPECIALLY, one who plays for The Arsenal. Having apparently pipped Utd to his signature (hmmm....from memory, we offered far more in wages than Ferguson was prepared to offer a 17 year old, but that's the Old Fraud's MO), I was instantly underwhelmed by what I saw from him. Even though young, he looked absolutely bang average, at best, to me. Prior to his leg break, I saw him put in one performance where I was impressed, which was a sixth game, dead rubber, in the CL group stage (Olympiakos I think). I seem to remember that we were assured of topping the group and Wenger put out a team of youngsters, who played very well and ought to have won the game, despite losing 1-0. Ramsey was the best player in the team that evening.

Other than that, he was always remarkably ordinary and I think had only played about 22 games before the horror leg break. In many respects and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, that broken leg established the myth about Ramsey. He got, justifiably, enormous public and media sympathy and shortly before his return to action, I can recall a banner or two at the Emirates saying "Rambo is coming back", or something along those lines. I sat there thinking "So what, I'm glad he's recovered, but I'm less than enthused by his imminent return". The media, of course, heralded his return, as though he had been an all conquering hero.

Then followed two seasons where he was dire and when I say dire, I mean absolutely dire, fucking awful. Only the French clown would have persevered with someone so poor....as we know, he's one of Arsene's loyal, good boys. This was a guy playing centre mid, who would constantly slow a move down, who equally constantly gave the ball away, who couldn't / didn't tackle, who was a defensive nightmare and didn't score goals. Just what he was bringing to the party in the middle of the park, I've no idea.

Then we had his "good season". I will admit, that from September to December of that year, I couldn't believe how well he was playing. I remarked to the mate I sit with, who well knew my feelings about Ramsey, that I didn't think the guy had it in him to perform like that. So, cards on the table, three good months. He got injured in December and if I remember correctly, was out for at least 3 months. It may well have been April by the time he returned and when he did, it was the Ramsey of old....crap ! Of course, as players like he and Theo very often do, he scored the winner in the Cup Final and the myth was etched even deeper. He has, of course, been complete pony during the two and a half years since that final.

He's a media favourite and when he's about to come on as a sub, following a period out through injury, you'll hear remarks from TV commentators along the lines of, "Ramsey is about to come on, he'll help provide the goal threat Arsenal need" (I heard exactly that this season), which is absolute bollocks. Since that distant 3 months, his scoring record is abysmal for a supposed dangerous midfielder. He did of course, score the vital 90th minute 5th goal in our 5-0 defeat of Lincoln and from his reaction, you'd have thought he'd just secured his hat-trick in the CL final. Smashed the ball into the net on the goal line, then picked the ball up and punched it in the air with a huge, stupid smile on his boat race ! Smug fucking idiot. Anyone with an ounce of self-awareness and substance, would have kind of waved a hand in acknowledgement, but been aware that the 5th goal against an out-on-their-feet non league side, wasn't a lot to write home about.

Throughout all my years of following the team, there's usually a player in the first eleven (even in our top sides), that one doesn't rate. I can never scream abuse at the bloke, nor use the phrase "I hate so and so". I may think he's sub standard as a footballer, but the guy might be a thoroughly decent bloke for all I know and the fault that he's on the pitch lies with the manager who picks him, not the player. However, in the case of Aaron Ramsey, I am becoming sorely tempted to make an exception !!

So, my feelings laid bare. I feel quite a bit better now !

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Oh and once again (and especially for The Operator :wink: ) anyone who disagrees with my last post is a woman, gay, or mental. FACT !

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Yes Yes I do see your point :oops: :lol:

You memory of it all is pretty much mine TBF- I have a horrible feeling though that we get rid then actually coached the guy turns good. He was pretty decent for Wales this Summer. I feel he has more intellect than Wally and more ability. What I have never understood is how quickly Wenger got shot of Eduardo after his break, yet stuck with Ramsey (and Diaby) after theirs :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hopefully Wenger's new contract is coming.......which means a lorry load of substandard shit will be coming.......which in time means Kroenke will be going

Come on Wiggy, give your lovechild £100m+ to blow on a stash of wankpots. Lets see if we can find a worse way to spend £30m+ than Xhaka......quite the challenge, but I'm sure we have the right man at the helm to rise to that challenge

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Theoperator wrote:Yes Yes I do see your point :oops: :lol:

You memory of it all is pretty much mine TBF- I have a horrible feeling though that we get rid then actually coached the guy turns good. He was pretty decent for Wales this Summer. I feel he has more intellect than Wally and more ability. What I have never understood is how quickly Wenger got shot of Eduardo after his break, yet stuck with Ramsey (and Diaby) after theirs :oops:

In all seriousness Op, I'm convinced that Ramsey doesn't have it in him to move on and prove us all wrong. There's no doubt that Wenger has and does, ruin promising young careers, but terms like "ordinary" and "average" are praise indeed when applied to Ramsey. He's a poor player, end of imo and not some diamond in the rough, waiting to be polished.

The guy that needs to get out of the Club and make a career for himself elsewhere is the Ox. I still believe that he genuinely does have it in him to be a class act and would have been for us if the Old Clown had handled him properly.

But Ramsey....nah.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Theoperator wrote:Yes Yes I do see your point :oops: :lol:

In all seriousness Op, I'm convinced that Ramsey doesn't have it in him to move on and prove us all wrong. There's no doubt that Wenger has and does, ruin promising young careers, but terms like "ordinary" and "average" are praise indeed when applied to Ramsey. He's a poor player, end of imo and not some diamond in the rough, waiting to be polished.

The guy that needs to get out of the Club and make a career for himself elsewhere is the Ox. I still believe that he genuinely does have it in him to be a class act and would have been for us if the Old Clown had handled him properly.

But Ramsey....nah.
100% agree. The Ox will be the one that gets away. He's got the lot really - pace, strength, an eye for goal (if encouraged to be direct enough) and can play anywhere across the middle. Shit for Brains missed a major opportunity with him 2-3 years ago when he was our standout wideman but instead he fucked him around and constantly benched him in favour of Wally, and even worse Twirly......a man who couldn't slow down our attacks any more if he tried. Only when SFB put Bendtner out wide for a few games did I ever think I'd see incompetence of its kind again