The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Re: The Fake News Summer Transfer Thread

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Turned out nice again

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

NickF wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:42 am
According to L'Equipe during the phone call, Wenger in detail discussed his view on what Kylian Mbappé's entire career plan should be.
You can imagine the response, "that's all very nice, now who the f**k are you again?"
Come to Arsene FC, we all speak french here, you don't have to associate with the working-class english peasants, we have croissants and coffee now, and high walls to keep the oiks out.

We will do everything for you, pay you astronomical wages, sort out white trash for you to roast, arrange visas if any of your extended family want to come here, then in a couple of years you can go to Real Madrid and start winning real trophies.

And agreed, Mbappe probably did ask who this senile old *word censored* was phoning him.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am
And agreed, Mbappe probably did ask who this senile old *word censored* was phoning him.
Wenger probably called him Thierry, Mbappe took it as a compliment, little did he know it was more to do with poor old Arsene losing his marbles and forgetting it wasn't 1999 anymore..

:twisted:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 am
36. great control in the box, turns, goalie poor
37. nice through pass, in space, lobs keeper
Worryingly the last two were probably two of his best and that is probably enough to convince us. :roll:

I think I heard someone call him a Walcott but a little bit better, I can see why, when you start getting compared to Walcott then you know you are not a top level player.

Swiss Tony Adams

sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am
Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am
Wenger probably called him Thierry, Mbappe took it as a compliment, little did he know it was more to do with poor old Arsene losing his marbles and forgetting it wasn't 1999 anymore..
:twisted:
Trying to be positive...

Let's say Alexis is off. That would generate a bit of money.
Bizarrely the non-qualification for the Champs League has also probably loosened the purse-strings in Denver. The FA Cup win has also helped re that, as the Champions League is - for a layman - purely a knock-out competition, and winning the FA Cup 3 out of 4 years could be falsely interpreted as proof that were we to qualify for the Champions League next season we would again have a real chance of winning it.

I believe Kroenke will invest heavily this summer.
And why not? He's not going to be losing any money on buying Mbappe, is he?
He's not going to diminish in value - unless he has some horrific accident ( but even that is insured against, I would guess, not sure though ) so therefore it is definitely an investment in the future...the future being selling him to Real Madrid in 2 years for maybe £200m ( who knows - football is mental ).

So, we sell Alexis, which would be a nightmare, fans going mental, etc., etc., but then buy Mbappe, for a new World Record sum ( knowing full well that he is only "on-loan" here for 2 years ) and all the fans are full of renewed optimism.

Then we have Ozil in the DB role, Mbappe as TH14, Ox as FL8, Ramsey as Ray Parlour...
:barscarf: :barscarf:

Swiss Tony Adams

no...no. not Ray Parlour, more a Grimandi.

And then we still need a Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Keown, Vieira, Petit, Overmars...

No, no, no, forget it.
The idea was nice for a while. Ozil as Bergkamp, putting passes through for Mbappe and the Ox, ably assisted by...

...yeah, and that's where it stopped being nice.

Swiss Tony Adams

sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am
Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 am
36. great control in the box, turns, goalie poor
37. nice through pass, in space, lobs keeper
Worryingly the last two were probably two of his best and that is probably enough to convince us. :roll:

I think I heard someone call him a Walcott but a little bit better, I can see why, when you start getting compared to Walcott then you know you are not a top level player.
We are second tier.
We have to get used to it.

From watching the 37 goals a couple of times now I would tend to agree. Seems fast enough, but it's against french league defenders, and some of the passes he got were pretty good as well.

Nr. 28 - the long-range one against AS Roma - was quite nice though.

Again though, it's second tier.
Sell Giroud and buy Lacazette?

OK...if we keep Alexis. That would be an improvement.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:28 pm

We are second tier.
We have to get used to it.
We shouldn't be second tier though, our revenue last season matched Chelsea and we should be well ahead of them, indeed we would be if we had won a few PL titles or a CL or two in the last decade, we are second tier because our owner and management accept it and have no ambition to "risk" trying to become first tier.

I just wish the fanbase would give them more s**t because they fully deserve it, I'm hoping we see more empty seats, planes and chants against them next season, in fact this is more interesting than anything that happens on the field, because we all know there isn't a chance in hell we compete for the title.

They want the fans to unite behind them?, fine, go out a spend £200M+ and hire a new DOF, new coaches etc. trouble is if they were going to do any of this the first thing they would have done is get rid of AW, who is clearly opposed to all/most of this.

Would any genuine huge club, the likes of RM, Barca, Bayern, United and sadly these days City and Chelsea accept an owner like Kroenke who ignores the wishes of the fans and keeps a manager 70%+ no longer want?, would they f**k!, Arsenal fans are far too soft and if they just sit there politely next season we'll you have to say they get what they deserve.

:banghead:

Swiss Tony Adams

sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:54 pm
We shouldn't be second tier though, our revenue last season matched Chelsea and we should be well ahead of them, indeed we would be if we had won a few PL titles or a CL or two in the last decade, we are second tier because our owner and management accept it and have no ambition to "risk" trying to become first tier.

Arsenal fans are far too soft and if they just sit there politely next season we'll you have to say they get what they deserve.
Far too soft and far too rich, and that is the deciding factor.

Kroenke + Wenger + the Emirates = Jack Shit

Add a rich, middle-aged, lazy fanbase with no testosterone and you have a match made in Heaven.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

my favourite three words

sky :barscarf:

sources :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

understand :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

we're in talks to sign lacazette.

:rubchin:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm
my favourite three words

sky :barscarf:

sources :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

understand :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

we're in talks to sign lacazette.

:rubchin:
Total Europa League player. Totally fucking average. Totally a Wanker signing.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bringing in Lacazette and letting Sanchez go will make us weaker (If they actually manage a deal for Lacazette that is which will likely be prolonged with Wenger trying to penny pinch right to the end)

Arsenals transfer dealings and contract negotiations are and have been a shambles for many years

Another job he does badly, added to all the rest

FUCK OFF WENGER

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 am
Bringing in Lacazette and letting Sanchez go will make us weaker (If they actually manage a deal for Lacazette that is which will likely be prolonged with Wenger trying to penny pinch right to the end)

Arsenals transfer dealings and contract negotiations are and have been a shambles for many years

Another job he does badly, added to all the rest

FUCK OFF WENGER
Indeed - every little over excited sprog on social media jerking off to the prospect of Mr Average joining, but Alexis out and him in is definitely the first downgrade this Summer. The second downgrade is about to come too, as the Ox entering his peak years is about to leave and no doubt Clueless will spunk a fortune on another overrated piece of turd that nobody wants instead

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Thoroughly depressing thread

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am
Thoroughly depressing thread
I concur 100%

:suicide: