Players you think you should hate but don't

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: Players you think you should hate but don't

Post by Redarmy »

franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Herd wrote:Willie Young was sent off for violent conduct , he was going ape shit at JIMMY RIMMER who was btw a great goalkeeper !

Off the field I remember I was abt 18 and it was scary shit ,the easy days of us strolling over there and lording it had not just gone, we were getting hammered all over the shop .
I jumped in between 2 cars so I only had to fend off 1 at a time but we got slapped about quite a bit ,and terrorised all the way past phillip lane where shortly after Tottenham Green one of our looniest loons made a back to back stand stand with another loon and a bollard and then a western saloon brawl started which resulted in the bollard getting destroyed and a bunch of us standing like napoleans men in the waterloo film end getting attacked from all sides for what seemed an age .
The Police who like the modern day spurs experience appear right outside the ground and then again at the station but nowhere in between seemed reluctant to do anything untill they saw that all traffic had ground to a halt in all three directions and then they just jumped out of 5 transits and hit anything that moved which worked in our favour and we moved into the station en bloc whilst getting a bit of payback on those who were forced our way !
regrouping on the platform we found theres was about 25 of us and all lucky to be ok except for a few black eyes and bruises ,in my case to my shins and arms and a ripped jumper !

Disagree on Rimmer mate, but just my opinion, good but not great

What year are we talking about here remember mid 70s the tide definitely turning, and totally different atmosphere when visiting the shit hole

Willy Young was sent off for Tottenham for kneeing Frank Stapleton (with both knees) on his back whilst going up for a header!

Jimmy Rimmer saved Arsenal from being relegated in 1975 #fact and was a quality keeper in a shit side!
Rimmer had some great games, remember once at Everton he saved us a point in a 0-0 draw, it was a fantastic performance
But for overall consistency and bravery would go for Bob Wilson...

Herd

Post by Herd »

Redarmy wrote:
Herd wrote:Alan Ball him and and Brian Kidd kept us up for 2 years !~
was Alan Hudson playing as well at that time?
No he came later under terry neil ,and wasn't there for long either because he fell out with terry neil in a pre season argument about training and over sleeping !
Was a shame as he was quality !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Herd wrote:Alan Ball him and and Brian Kidd kept us up for 2 years !~
was Alan Hudson playing as well at that time?
No he came later under terry neil ,and wasn't there for long either because he fell out with terry neil in a pre season argument about training and over sleeping !
Was a shame as he was quality !
agreed Hudson, Alan Ball and Brady in the same midfield...Class and quality

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Herd wrote:We got him from QPR was the worst player Ive ever ever seen in an Arsenal short !

You boys are right, Ian Ure (just remember seeing him), Willie Young and Terry Mancini were all dreadful, but there is another incompetent who played at centre half (possibly with Mancini or immediately after) and would vie with Mancini as the worst of the worst.....Jeff Blockley !!!

In terms of the worst player I've seen in an Arsenal shirt, albeit a centre forward, not a centre half, then John Hawley takes a lot of beating. Got him from third division Hull (where Terry Neill had previously managed) and I imagine that even that level had been far too good for him !!
Ian ure was before my time but Mancini and Blockley i had the pleasure to see live :shock: another one from that era John matthews who was a local lad but didnt quite make the grade and Jimmy Rimmer who was a very good keeper and a match ritual of his was to be given a chewing gum from one of the kids behind the north bank goal :oops:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

herbert wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Herd wrote:We got him from QPR was the worst player Ive ever ever seen in an Arsenal short !

You boys are right, Ian Ure (just remember seeing him), Willie Young and Terry Mancini were all dreadful, but there is another incompetent who played at centre half (possibly with Mancini or immediately after) and would vie with Mancini as the worst of the worst.....Jeff Blockley !!!

In terms of the worst player I've seen in an Arsenal shirt, albeit a centre forward, not a centre half, then John Hawley takes a lot of beating. Got him from third division Hull (where Terry Neill had previously managed) and I imagine that even that level had been far too good for him !!
Ian ure was before my time but Mancini and Blockley i had the pleasure to see live :shock: another one from that era John matthews who was a local lad but didnt quite make the grade and Jimmy Rimmer who was a very good keeper and a match ritual of his was to be given a chewing gum from one of the kids behind the north bank goal :oops:
Ah...yes John Hawley had forgotten about him, thankfully...he was terrible....yeah and as previous Mancini was just comical to watch
also think Lee Chapman was very poor considering his price tag

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Herd wrote:Willie Young was sent off for violent conduct , he was going ape shit at JIMMY RIMMER who was btw a great goalkeeper !

Off the field I remember I was abt 18 and it was scary shit ,the easy days of us strolling over there and lording it had not just gone, we were getting hammered all over the shop .
I jumped in between 2 cars so I only had to fend off 1 at a time but we got slapped about quite a bit ,and terrorised all the way past phillip lane where shortly after Tottenham Green one of our looniest loons made a back to back stand stand with another loon and a bollard and then a western saloon brawl started which resulted in the bollard getting destroyed and a bunch of us standing like napoleans men in the waterloo film end getting attacked from all sides for what seemed an age .
The Police who like the modern day spurs experience appear right outside the ground and then again at the station but nowhere in between seemed reluctant to do anything untill they saw that all traffic had ground to a halt in all three directions and then they just jumped out of 5 transits and hit anything that moved which worked in our favour and we moved into the station en bloc whilst getting a bit of payback on those who were forced our way !
regrouping on the platform we found theres was about 25 of us and all lucky to be ok except for a few black eyes and bruises ,in my case to my shins and arms and a ripped jumper !

What year are we talking about here remember mid 70s the tide definitely turning, and totally different atmosphere when visiting the shit hole

Willy Young was sent off for Tottenham for kneeing Frank Stapleton (with both knees) on his back whilst going up for a header!

Jimmy Rimmer saved Arsenal from being relegated in 1975 #fact and was a quality keeper in a shit side!

ah yes 1975 very dark days they were, had some good players but came close to relegation its true
Low crowds, very bleak at Highbury....
That was the time QPR were on a high, sure Frank McLintock joined them?... :?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

One from the past! Denis Wise! Why??
Chavs played a friendly against Derry City in 80s(I think) and wise didn't play but spent entire game engaging with fans and didn't retreat to dressing room at halftime instead he signed autographs for a throng of kids!
So having hated him as aplayer

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

ah yes 1975 very dark days they were, had some good players but came close to relegation its true

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

SHIT !!! Sorry about that ! I hit the return button on the iPad 3 times and wondered why it was scrolling down so I could begin my post. Only I wasn't hitting the return button, I was hitting the submit button !

Anyway, yep we gave QPR Frank and took Mancini from them. It was the equivalent of giving someone the most flawless of blue diamonds and they give you a plastic ring from a lucky bag. I was devastated. Frank was a true boyhood hero of mine, he was Mr Arsenal and he didn't want the move. From memory, it was Bertie Mee who made the decision and the captain that they thought was past it, had at least two great seasons with QPR. You're right, Rangers were on a high then and Frank was a major part of it. They should have won the league in either 75 or 76, but were harshly pipped by Liverpool on the last day of the season if I remember right.

Anyway, if anyone deserves a statue at the bowl, it's Frank McLintock. Still, it won't ever happen, as he was pre 1996 and Wenger has probably expunged our first double winning captain from the Arsenal history books.....if indeed he's ever heard of him !

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

90% of our squad

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

SHIT !!! Sorry about that ! I hit the return button on the iPad 3 times and wondered why it was scrolling down so I could begin my post. Only I wasn't hitting the return button, I was hitting the submit button !

Anyway, yep we gave QPR Frank and took Mancini from them. It was the equivalent of giving someone the most flawless of blue diamonds and they give you a plastic ring from a lucky bag. I was devastated. Frank was a true boyhood hero of mine, he was Mr Arsenal and he didn't want the move. From memory, it was Bertie Mee who made the decision and the captain that they thought was past it, had at least two great seasons with QPR. You're right, Rangers were on a high then and Frank was a major part of it. They should have won the league in either 75 or 76, but were harshly pipped by Liverpool on the last day of the season if I remember right.

Anyway, if anyone deserves a statue at the bowl, it's Frank McLintock. Still, it won't ever happen, as he was pre 1996 and Wenger has probably expunged our first double winning captain from the Arsenal history books.....if indeed he's ever heard of him !
Exactly my thoughts, the mid 70's was a torrid time, the hooligan element was at its height.... :shock:
I remember the Bell pub in Kings Cross, a so called mate of mine from years ago invited me down there, and low and behold it was a pub where things constantly kicked off, he was notorious for scraps, absolute fucking head banger, could not work out how he had changed from a nice 10 year old to a orrible 17 year old...
Years later another mate said his old man used to beat him up, which explains why he went off the rails, fuckin Totnum supporting wanker too!... :cussing:

Do you remember Fulham in 75, Best, Marsh and Moore, a period of mega cash deals in a country that was broke!
And if Labour get in it will be the IMF again!... :shock:

Herd

Post by Herd »

The Bell pub should have been renamed the bucket of blood !
I've seen it all there including a woman having her throat slit by a Scot with cut throat on one of their bi-annual pilgrimages of carnage to London.
although there were many pubs around Kings Cross it was the Bell that saw the most action !

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Herd wrote:The Bell pub should have been renamed the bucket of blood !
I've seen it all there including a woman having her throat slit by a Scot with cut throat on one of their bi-annual pilgrimages of carnage to London.
although there were many pubs around Kings Cross it was the Bell that saw the most action !
Yeah when I got back to England December 1975, fuck me things changed after 5 years, but I was warned never to go to the Bell, well you know a teenager always take notice! 8) So the nutter lad wanted me to kick the shit out of some poor
Geezer for fuck all, soon got the message that it was a pub of ill repute!
So true we were from the Cromer/Judd Street council estate which was split into Arsenal/Totnum families and we did get on fairly well, till the games of course, and we regularly played on the green opposite Bramber, till we got chased off by the warden! Obviously we had no referees then and took action ourselves :box:
We had a famous boxing club there back in the late 60's! When I went back there for a funeral a couple of years ago the Boot boozer was still there :shock: The times we would hang around the off licence part of the pub with a glass of lemonade and a bag of crisps while the old uns were getting pissed up!
Ahhhh the memories!.....