Players you think you should hate but don't

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Players you think you should hate but don't

Post by Retro Gunner »

Oh....and Herd is right, Jimmy Rimmer was a quality keeper. Got him from Utd if I remember right.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Retro Gunner wrote:Oh....and Herd is right, Jimmy Rimmer was a quality keeper. Got him from Utd if I remember right.
We flogged him to Villa...I thought he was a good keeper...

canonspark

Post by canonspark »

Rated Gerrard and rooney

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Ian Ure for all his crude tackles and lack of any great ability was a very bright guy. Anyone remember a tv quiz show back in the late sixties which i think was called Quiz Ball and Ian was the star Arsenal team member.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:Oh....and Herd is right, Jimmy Rimmer was a quality keeper. Got him from Utd if I remember right.
And Villa won the title and European cup ... while his replacement at Arsenal, Pat 'Mr Spurs ' Jennings got us knocked out the FA Cup at Spurs and the league cup at Oxford :roll: 8)

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Clash wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
And Villa won the title and European cup ... while his replacement at Arsenal, Pat 'Mr Spurs ' Jennings got us knocked out the FA Cup at Spurs and the league cup at Oxford :roll: 8)
Hmmm, now you've just pissed me off completely.... 8)

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Cantona
Lampard
Di Canio
Griezmann when he joins United
Kompany

canonspark

Post by canonspark »

Swifty wrote:Cantona
Lampard
Di Canio
Griezmann when he joins United
Kompany
cant agree swifty, I really do hate three of them anyway

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Herd wrote:Theres only 1 player I used to hate but changed my mind on !

Willy Young

Sent off against us the previous year whilst at spurs in a 0-0 draw that saw the most horrific violence on and off the pitch ,he was a surprising signing
His debut V Ipswich was horrific he had an awful game ,was roundly booed and the fans sang fuck off to tottenham .
He hung on and made a press statement saying he would work hard, accept any boos ,and try and win the fans over by his performances .....and he soon did .
When we played west ham in the cup final he stood outside the marble halls the week before giving his ticket allocation away to fans
for free !
You should have seen Ian Ure, made Wor Willie look like Bobby Moore..... :lol:
He was still there when I started watching Arsenal but not for long , worse was Terry "henry" mancini !
Fucking Mancini, he was fucking shite.....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

StuartL wrote:
Herd wrote:We got him from QPR was the worst player Ive ever ever seen in an Arsenal short !
Wasn't it a deal involving Frank McLintock (double winning captain and all) going the other way ?

yes big mistake, with him QPR were a point off winning the title.....great player McLintock

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:Willie Young was sent off for violent conduct , he was going ape shit at JIMMY RIMMER who was btw a great goalkeeper !

Off the field I remember I was abt 18 and it was scary shit ,the easy days of us strolling over there and lording it had not just gone, we were getting hammered all over the shop .
I jumped in between 2 cars so I only had to fend off 1 at a time but we got slapped about quite a bit ,and terrorised all the way past phillip lane where shortly after Tottenham Green one of our looniest loons made a back to back stand stand with another loon and a bollard and then a western saloon brawl started which resulted in the bollard getting destroyed and a bunch of us standing like napoleans men in the waterloo film end getting attacked from all sides for what seemed an age .
The Police who like the modern day spurs experience appear right outside the ground and then again at the station but nowhere in between seemed reluctant to do anything untill they saw that all traffic had ground to a halt in all three directions and then they just jumped out of 5 transits and hit anything that moved which worked in our favour and we moved into the station en bloc whilst getting a bit of payback on those who were forced our way !
regrouping on the platform we found theres was about 25 of us and all lucky to be ok except for a few black eyes and bruises ,in my case to my shins and arms and a ripped jumper !

Disagree on Rimmer mate, but just my opinion, good but not great

What year are we talking about here remember mid 70s the tide definitely turning, and totally different atmosphere when visiting the shit hole

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Redarmy wrote:
Herd wrote:Willie Young was sent off for violent conduct , he was going ape shit at JIMMY RIMMER who was btw a great goalkeeper !

Off the field I remember I was abt 18 and it was scary shit ,the easy days of us strolling over there and lording it had not just gone, we were getting hammered all over the shop .
I jumped in between 2 cars so I only had to fend off 1 at a time but we got slapped about quite a bit ,and terrorised all the way past phillip lane where shortly after Tottenham Green one of our looniest loons made a back to back stand stand with another loon and a bollard and then a western saloon brawl started which resulted in the bollard getting destroyed and a bunch of us standing like napoleans men in the waterloo film end getting attacked from all sides for what seemed an age .
The Police who like the modern day spurs experience appear right outside the ground and then again at the station but nowhere in between seemed reluctant to do anything untill they saw that all traffic had ground to a halt in all three directions and then they just jumped out of 5 transits and hit anything that moved which worked in our favour and we moved into the station en bloc whilst getting a bit of payback on those who were forced our way !
regrouping on the platform we found theres was about 25 of us and all lucky to be ok except for a few black eyes and bruises ,in my case to my shins and arms and a ripped jumper !

What year are we talking about here remember mid 70s the tide definitely turning, and totally different atmosphere when visiting the shit hole

Willy Young was sent off for Tottenham for kneeing Frank Stapleton (with both knees) on his back whilst going up for a header!

Jimmy Rimmer saved Arsenal from being relegated in 1975 #fact and was a quality keeper in a shit side!

Herd

Post by Herd »

Alan Ball him and and Brian Kidd kept us up for 2 years !~

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

franksav63 wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Willy Young was sent off for Tottenham for kneeing Frank Stapleton (with both knees) on his back whilst going up for a header!

Jimmy Rimmer saved Arsenal from being relegated in 1975 #fact and was a quality keeper in a shit side!

ah yes 1975 very dark days they were, had some good players but came close to relegation its true
Low crowds, very bleak at Highbury....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:Alan Ball him and and Brian Kidd kept us up for 2 years !~
was Alan Hudson playing as well at that time?