Premier League Predictor

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VoiceOfReason

Re: Premier League Predictor

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Babu wrote:Just seen this "interesting" little graph, and thought it might spice up this awesome thread...if that's even possible...

So, we have a...

7% chance of 4th,
30% chance of 5th,
47% chance of 6th,
13% chance of 7th.

The FT really going out on a limb here, predicting the top nine will finish in the exact same positions they currently hold.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Hate to say it but I can see us sneaking 4th. We can overtake Liverpool and United with our games in hand.
As long as we don't lose to United when we play them, I can see us just getting in together win a new contract for Wenger. :(

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

NickF wrote:Hate to say it but I can see us sneaking 4th. We can overtake Liverpool and United with our games in hand.
As long as we don't lose to United when we play them, I can see us just getting in together win a new contract for Wenger. :(
Really don't believe for a second that whether we sneak 4th or not will change what happens with Wenger.

I do however know it will lead to many of the sycophants in the media flip-flopping again and coming back on board.

Pains me to say it but other than the Spurs game I hope we lose every game between now and the end of the season. Can't describe how much I miss the feeling which I've had for my entire life until the last few years about football and about this club, I miss being a blinkered one-eye twat who would defend the club to the hilt and a selfish prick whose mood for an entire weekend would be dictated by whether the Arsenal won or lost. Like most on here I've spent years of my life in cars and on coaches and spent a fortune following this team around. But if we have another two years of Wenger and me being apathetic, I'll be honest I'm not sure that will ever come back.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I still want to see an authoritative view on what happens if Man United win the Europa League. Is there any way under that scenario the lucky old fraud could qualify for the Champions' League by finishing fifth? Does it depend on whether United finish in the top four themselves or not?

I believe we will finish fifth, as United have the toughest fixtures and Mourinho will rightly prioritise winning a trophy which will give him a Champions' League slot.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bob Bayliss wrote:I still want to see an authoritative view on what happens if Man United win the Europa League. Is there any way under that scenario the lucky old fraud could qualify for the Champions' League by finishing fifth? Does it depend on whether United finish in the top four themselves or not?

I believe we will finish fifth, as United have the toughest fixtures and Mourinho will rightly prioritise winning a trophy which will give him a Champions' League slot.
No. If United finish top 4, they qualify for CL that way and doesn't matter from that perspective if they win the Europa. If they finish 5th or below and win the Europa, they will get an extra CL qualifying place for the CL.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

northbank123 wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:I still want to see an authoritative view on what happens if Man United win the Europa League. Is there any way under that scenario the lucky old fraud could qualify for the Champions' League by finishing fifth? Does it depend on whether United finish in the top four themselves or not?

No. If United finish top 4, they qualify for CL that way and doesn't matter from that perspective if they win the Europa. If they finish 5th or below and win the Europa, they will get an extra CL qualifying place for the CL.[/quote]

So does this mean we would qualify for the CL by finishing 5th if United win the Europa and finish 6th? How about if they won it and finished 5th, would the extra place e go to the side in 6th place? It beggars belief.

Paulio

Post by Paulio »

If utd finish 4th and win the Europa it has no affect on Arsenal. The only way Arsenal can qualify for the champions league is by finishing in top four. The only way the premier lge can have 5 teams in the champions lge is if the team that wins the Europa finishes outside top 4

Clash

Post by Clash »

northbank123 wrote:
NickF wrote:Hate to say it but I can see us sneaking 4th. We can overtake Liverpool and United with our games in hand.
Really don't believe for a second that whether we sneak 4th or not will change what happens with Wenger.

I do however know it will lead to many of the sycophants in the media flip-flopping again and coming back on board.

Pains me to say it but other than the Spurs game I hope we lose every game between now and the end of the season. Can't describe how much I miss the feeling which I've had for my entire life until the last few years about football and about this club, I miss being a blinkered one-eye twat who would defend the club to the hilt and a selfish prick whose mood for an entire weekend would be dictated by whether the Arsenal won or lost. Like most on here I've spent years of my life in cars and on coaches and spent a fortune following this team around. But if we have another two years of Wenger and me being apathetic, I'll be honest I'm not sure that will ever come back.
Agree with all that mate.

I only get that old blinkered one-eyed twat feeling back from watching old games. I'm hoping a new manager will be able to re-ignite some passion in my for the current Arsenal (if we ever get one) but I know damn well it wont happen under Wenger.

To be honest, I don't even want Wenger to turn it round now, even if he miraculously became capable of doing so. I hate him that much and one of the thousands of reasons I want him gone is because I would not enjoy any success that involves him.

I got very little pleasure from the 2 recent FA Cups. In fact some of the celebrations actually wound me up. The way our players cavorted around on the pitch after beating Wigan on pens (and saving Wenger's job) for example.

I was at the West Ham game last week and it felt like sitting in with opposition fans at times because I am so anti anything to do with Wenger at the moment. Things like people cheering Giroud when he came on. How can anyone cheer for that wanker?!

And Walcott as captain?! The means both Walcott and Giroud have captained the club this year. How does a club ever recover from that?

NickF

Post by NickF »

Clash wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

I only get that old blinkered one-eyed twat feeling back from watching old games. I'm hoping a new manager will be able to re-ignite some passion in my for the current Arsenal (if we ever get one) but I know damn well it wont happen under Wenger.

To be honest, I don't even want Wenger to turn it round now, even if he miraculously became capable of doing so. I hate him that much and one of the thousands of reasons I want him gone is because I would not enjoy any success that involves him.

I got very little pleasure from the 2 recent FA Cups. In fact some of the celebrations actually wound me up. The way our players cavorted around on the pitch after beating Wigan on pens (and saving Wenger's job) for example.

I was at the West Ham game last week and it felt like sitting in with opposition fans at times because I am so anti anything to do with Wenger at the moment. Things like people cheering Giroud when he came on. How can anyone cheer for that wanker?!

And Walcott as captain?! The means both Walcott and Giroud have captained the club this year. How does a club ever recover from that?
For me it feels like we are just going through the motions at the moment (both players and fans), can't even get excited about the goals, certainly not jumping around or anything. The City game was more like a testimonial and we are paying good money for this sh*t.

I just wish they would announce the decision either way so at least we know where we stand. When you have players like Giroud saying trophies aren't important I just wish Wenger would go now and take most of his players with him.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

NickF wrote:
Clash wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

For me it feels like we are just going through the motions at the moment (both players and fans), can't even get excited about the goals, certainly not jumping around or anything. The City game was more like a testimonial and we are paying good money for this sh*t.

I just wish they would announce the decision either way so at least we know where we stand. When you have players like Giroud saying trophies aren't important I just wish Wenger would go now and take most of his players with him.
For me Giroud is just the epitome of modern Arsenal. Not a terrible player by any means but never in a million years will he lead a title charge like Suarez, van Persie, Costa, Aguero, Vardy and Kane have done in the past five years. What odds would you get on one of that lot having a 15-game dry spell at the business end of the season? Simple reality is that nobody has ever won a PL title with a lead striker of that ability.

Earns twice as much money as any other club in the world would pay him and despite being nowhere near good enough to merit it he has spent most of the last five years being protected as our first-choice striker. Another player who has won th footballing lottery.

A legend in his own mind.

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

That describes the Premier league and most (95%) of the players, massive disconnect with the players At Arsenal these days, see my pic of Big Tone over on the other thread. Something has been lost with all the money that's swilling around the premier league, that's why I stopped putting my money in circa 2008. Not pissing on anyone else's bonfire, but I'm not paying for new hair pieces for Stan.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Manchester United have qualified for the 2017–18 Europa League by winning the 2016–17 League Cup.

They may still qualify for the 2017–18 UEFA Champions League if they finish in the top four of the 2016–17 Premier League or win the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League.

First scenario... Man United win the Europa League.

The winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League enter the group stage if the winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Champions League have qualified for the group stage through domestic performance.

Winners of the 2017 Champions League could still be Atlético Madrid, Leicester City, Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Juventus or Barcelona.

The only way that Man United won't get Group Stage is if one of Dortmund, Leicester City or Atlético win the Champions League and don't qualify for Champions League Group Stages. Very unlikely, imo.

So, IF Man United win the Europa League they will qualify for the Group Stages of the Champions League.
That means that 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Premier League will go into the Group Stages of the Champions League, plus Man United.

Because a maximum of five teams from one association can enter the Champions League, if both the Champions League title holders and the Europa League title holders are from the same top three ranked association and finish outside the top four of their domestic league, the fourth-placed team of their association will be moved to the Europa League.

So, if Leicester City win the Champions League and Man United win the Europa League then only the Top 3 in the Premier League will qualify for the Champions League Group Stages. 4th place in the Premier League will be Europa League.

Second scenario...Man United don't win the Europa League...

Then Man United have to finish Top 4 to get Champions League football. And then it's only Qualifying Round, not straight into the Group Stages.

Of course it also depends on who wins the English FA Cup, and where they finish in the Premier League.

The Premier League can only have 5 teams in the Champions League.

So if Man United win the Europa League and don't finish Top 4 then the Top 4 in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League.

If Leicester City win the Champions League and Man United win the Europa League, then only Top 3 in the Premier League get into Champions League.

Clear as mud...

SUMMARY....

The Arsenal have to finish Top 4 to get into the Champions League.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Babu wrote: SUMMARY....

The Arsenal have to finish Top 4 to get into the Champions League.
Or Top 3 if Leicester City win the Champions League... :?:

Whatever...we will not be playing Champions League next season. Almost 100% definitely.
:lol:

And if we are then it will be Mr. Wenger's greatest ever achievement, and we should all be careful what we have been wishing for. 8)

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

Babu wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Done my own calculations yesterday and sadly there is no way I can see us avoiding Europa League football next season.. would rather avoid European football altogether
In a way getting into the Europa League would be worse for Wenger than no european football.

Look how good Chelsea are this season with no European Football. Same with Liverpool.

If Man United win the Europa League this season it will be expected that The Arsenal win it next season, so more pressure.
He's going to sign, that's almost sure, so let's hope next season starts badly.

The Euro League qualifiers for the group stages are end of July/start of August, keep the pressure on him from the off.
This is the sort of mindless rubbish that stopped me coming on here in the end...saying things like 'so let's hope next season starts badly' I fail to understand why anyone supporting a football team would want them to start the season badly!! Regardless of who you want in charge!!

Babu

Post by Babu »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Babu wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Done my own calculations yesterday and sadly there is no way I can see us avoiding Europa League football next season.. would rather avoid European football altogether
In a way getting into the Europa League would be worse for Wenger than no european football.

Look how good Chelsea are this season with no European Football. Same with Liverpool.

If Man United win the Europa League this season it will be expected that The Arsenal win it next season, so more pressure.
He's going to sign, that's almost sure, so let's hope next season starts badly.

The Euro League qualifiers for the group stages are end of July/start of August, keep the pressure on him from the off.
This is the sort of mindless rubbish that stopped me coming on here in the end...saying things like 'so let's hope next season starts badly' I fail to understand why anyone supporting a football team would want them to start the season badly!! Regardless of who you want in charge!!
You really fail to understand that?

I fail to understand your avatar.