Tony Adams - Granada CF Head Coach

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sean

Tony Adams - Granada CF Head Coach

Post by Sean »

From Wycombe Wanderers to Portsmouth to Gabala in Azerbaijan...

Tony Adams is now head coach of Spanish side Granada CF! :shock:

Granada are currently 19th of 20, seven points off of safety. Looks like they'll be going down unles Big Tone can work a miracle.

We can follow Tony's journey here. Hopefully several of you will participate :barscarf:

http://www.granadacf.es/en

flash gunner

Re: Tony Adams - Granada CF Head Coach

Post by flash gunner »

Good luck to him. Hope he has better luck than he had dressing himself :shock:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

A team, whose previous regime sold all of its best players (often to their other teams, Watford and Udinese), who now don't own two-thirds of their players, to be managed by a man who has shown no aptitude for management.

I truly hope he can perform a miracle, but I'm already planning trips to Reus, Miranda and Alcorcón, rather than Malaga, Sevilla and Valencia.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

GranadaJoe wrote:A team, whose previous regime sold all of its best players (often to their other teams, Watford and Udinese), who now don't own two-thirds of their players, to be managed by a man who has shown no aptitude for management.

I truly hope he can perform a miracle, but I'm already planning trips to Reus, Miranda and Alcorcón, rather than Malaga, Sevilla and Valencia.
Been to Alcorcón its nice enough there :D

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

forca granada 8) :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Good luck Burro !

Sean

Post by Sean »

Thank fuck someone responded. Otherwise I'd have had the :moderator: Vanity Thread :moderator: police in here :barscarf:

I'm staggered that he's only signed up for this season. They are actually deluded enough to think he can keep them up at the first attempt? My first thought was that he'd be going down to come up in the second season. Granada already look doomed and sadly TA is, well...

I followed his progress at Gabala on another forum and we had a thread about it. We knew all the teams and were posting videos of highlights and having banter about how crap the league was. Gabala was 'famous' for having an old Soviet radar station and a few cows; a real backwater. The Azeri League was like the SPL; 12 teams and a top six split for the final ten games. Gabala finished 7th. Tony gave up halfway through the next season with the team in mid-table again because his family couldn't stick being in the middle of nowhere in Azerbaijan, three hours out of the capital, Baku. Gabala have since qualified for the Europa League preliminaries.

Anyway, I'm glad that Joe could give us an insight as to how fucked they are. Hopefully he can be the scout for Online Gooner 8)

wibble

Post by wibble »

Sean wrote:Thank fuck someone responded. Otherwise I'd have had the :moderator: Vanity Thread :moderator: police in here :barscarf:

I'm staggered that he's only signed up for this season. They are actually deluded enough to think he can keep them up at the first attempt? My first thought was that he'd be going down to come up in the second season. Granada already look doomed and sadly TA is, well...

I followed his progress at Gabala on another forum and we had a thread about it. We knew all the teams and were posting videos of highlights and having banter about how crap the league was. Gabala was 'famous' for having an old Soviet radar station and a few cows; a real backwater. The Azeri League was like the SPL; 12 teams and a top six split for the final ten games. Gabala finished 7th. Tony gave up halfway through the next season with the team in mid-table again because his family couldn't stick being in the middle of nowhere in Azerbaijan, three hours out of the capital, Baku. Gabala have since qualified for the Europa League preliminaries.

Anyway, I'm glad that Joe could give us an insight as to how fucked they are. Hopefully he can be the scout for Online Gooner 8)
He was already employed by the club in some capacity (football advisor role of some sort) so I imagine he's just being placed in temporary charge until the end of the season until a long-term replacement is found

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

wibble wrote:
Sean wrote:Thank fuck someone responded. Otherwise I'd have had the :moderator: Vanity Thread :moderator: police in here :barscarf:

He was already employed by the club in some capacity (football advisor role of some sort) so I imagine he's just being placed in temporary charge until the end of the season until a long-term replacement is found

He's been working for the Chinese bloke who bought the club from the Pozzo family (crunts!!!) for some time. He came to GCF to restructure the club, but the results have been shite and another manager was sacked so he's been asked to do the job until the end of the season. There's been a couple of last match miracles over the last couple of seasons that have kept them up, but the trend is downhill. This season there are 16 loan players in the first team squad and they recently fielded a team with 11 different nationalities. There are a few winnable games coming up but it would be the biggest miracle yet if they manage to stay up.
I'd love TA6 to become a great manager, but I can't see it happening.

Herd

Post by Herd »

There is a massive place in my heart for him always but he is as mad as a hatter and cannot think of how he is going to turn it around but good luck to him .

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Good luck to him,but I think that it is the proverbial management poisoned chalice.
I also hope that they sort him out with an image consultant/personal shopper. :D

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

He is a very brave man to take that on, not many would

:-P
However much the bet was, he deserves every penny.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

just checked their squad on wikipedia- fucking hell they're all loanees :shock: :oops: :lol:

godspeed tony

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

Looking at the history, they were in the 4th tier between 2002-06. After promotion, they were also promoted twice in a row in 2010 and 2011 to reach La Liga, where they've finished 15th twice, 16th and 17th twice, so it looks like they have been on a hiding to nothing all along. Their previous golden period was 1968-76, where they finished 6th twice and 8th.

There was some talk on Tony's appointment on the 5 Live Football Daily earlier in the week. It seems certain he won't stay on. Other pundits had made the same assumption he was there for the second season. So he's basically a five week caretaker manager.

Average attendance this season is 15,262, with a capacity of 23,156.

Tony has Celta Vigo on Sunday at 7:45. The rest of the season's fixtures are:

Fri 21/04 Sevilla 20 : 00

Tue 25/04 Málaga 19 : 30

Sat 29/04 Real Sociedad 12 : 00

Sat 06/05 Real Madrid 19 : 45

Sun 14/05 Osasuna 16 : 00

Sun 21/05 Espanyol 16 : 00

Osasuna is the only relegation six pointer they have, plus they have Madrid before that. They could already be down by then :(

He's also got Nigel Reo-Coker and Kieran Richardson in on trial :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:From Wycombe Wanderers to Portsmouth to Gabala in Azerbaijan...

Tony Adams is now head coach of Spanish side Granada CF! :shock:

Granada are currently 19th of 20, seven points off of safety. Looks like they'll be going down unles Big Tone can work a miracle.

We can follow Tony's journey here. Hopefully several of you will participate :barscarf:

http://www.granadacf.es/en
What the fuck is he wearing? :oops: :oops: :lol: Looks like a fucking rugby fan on his way out of the closet! :shock: :lol: