Tony Adams - Granada CF Head Coach

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Tony Adams - Granada CF Head Coach

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Anyone see the video of Adams' first coaching session? it is taken out of context maybe but he is running back and forth left and right waving his hands about, its embarrassing :oops:
Thought I had posted a reply on this but have been known to fuck up :lol:

Yes I did see it and yes he is as mad as a box of frogs but as a true legend, fantastic captain and player for The Arsenal I will overlook that :lol:

Tbf when he was interviewed and before he spoke my first thought was of Joey Barton and Steve McLaren and I was just waiting for a Manuel from fawlty towers type impression :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I was shocked he didn't do a... 'ow yoo say... Shoóey Le Bartón... :oops: :lol:
:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Anyone see the video of Adams' first coaching session? it is taken out of context maybe but he is running back and forth left and right waving his hands about, its embarrassing :oops:
It looked mad as fuck (and is taken out of context as you say) but the running from side to side was him showing the defenders how to jockey position to put the attacker where they want him. Seen loads of coaches and managers do it over the years.
Box of frogs, mate. Box of frogs. :D
:lol:

No doubting it, mate. Never seen Adams interviewed and not come away thinking "he's a mad fucker..." :lol:

Still a Legend though. :barscarf: 8)

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Granada are kicking off at fourth placed Sevilla at 8pm tonight. So get your streams ready :barscarf:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Lost 2-0 :banghead:

Grenada had a man off injured in the second minute and were already one down by the time the sub came on in the fourth minute. That set the tone, sadly. TA was still prowling the technical area looking Klopp-ish in his glasses. Sevilla also had a second goal incorrectly chalked off for offside.

Tony brought on his second sub after 20 minutes. Sevilla dominated possession and were largely playing in their attacking half. Granada had a decent counter-attack before the half-hour, but the aptly named Ponce put it out for a corner, which led to nothing. Only one shot on target from Granada in the first half.

Granada went two down inside the first minute of the second half, despite defending in numbers for most of the game. Someone needs to tell these Chinese owners that having a ton of loan players, who barely speak the language, doesn't make a successful side. Midway though the second half, Sevilla had another marginal offside goal which was ruled out. Tony made his third sub on 70 minutes, at least two of those due to injuries. Ponce missed another rare chance with just over ten minutes to go and yet again before full-time.

It really is the impossible job. I can't see how he can get one win with this goal-shy side, let alone the four or five wins they need to stay up.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Sometimes I wonder how good a coach he could be with decent players? Helped Portsmouth win the cup in 2008. Then took over as the club sold every player with any quality behind his back.
English football is strange. Zidane, Guardiola started at the top, why don't we do that with our top players that go into coaching?

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

Lost 2-0 to Malaga tonight :banghead:

The first half was goalless. Malaga dominated the play and Granada had no shots at all.

Malaga scored two minutes into the second half with a shot pinged in from just outside the box. It seemed somewhat even after that. The second goal was scored in injury time, when it was rifled in from about 12 yards. The few fans that stayed behind were jeering at the players, a few fans got their hankies out. Other fans were emotional and shellshocked. They know they are down.

Oh, Tony :(

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Granada are now 10 points from safety, with only 12 points to play for. Relegation will very likely be confirmed at tomorrow's game against Real Sociedad at 12:00 (UK) :(

Sean

Post by Sean »

Lost 2-1 and relegated :(

Tony rotated some of his side for this game, giving chances to some of the younger players. Sociedad were chasing a place in the Europa for next season.

It was a fairly even first half, with Granada staying in the game fairly well, until Carlos Vela (yes, him) scored a tap in from six yards, beating the keeper to the ball, just before half-time. Gutting. Not many shots from either side. Although seeing as Granada usually could not score and tend to implode after conceding the first goal, it felt like a death knell for their narrow chances of postponing relegation.

Sociedad started the second half strongly and looked like adding to their lead, before the game evened out again. Shockingly, Granada finally scored the first goal of Tony's reign midway through the second half; Ramos scoring a header from six yards. Tony spent most of the game in his dugout, from what I could see. He even stayed in his seat for the goal, only clenching his fists in celebration. Soon after, Granada's keeper Ochoa touched a shot onto the bar. Sociedad also missed a one on one with Ochoa, putting it wide.

Sadly, Sociedad scored to make it 2-1 from a through ball with less than ten minutes to go, ending all hopes. It really was a hopeless situation for Tony. I don't think anyone could have saved this side.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Just when Granada's players were starting to remember each other's names they lose their fourth straight match under TA6, 2-1 to Sociedad, and are thereby doomed to life in Liga Adelante.

Reus here I come!

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Do you think the club will make an effort to bring back the likes of TA6 once Wenger goes? I know a few players have positions or have been offered positions but seems like Wenger is content to let them make the tea and nothing more.

The annoying thing is that all the greats of the 90s and early 00s should have been welcomed back as soon as they finished, so they could continue there education at the club. So much knowledge and love for the club been lost because of one mans ego.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

jmp442 wrote:Do you think the club will make an effort to bring back the likes of TA6 once Wenger goes? I know a few players have positions or have been offered positions but seems like Wenger is content to let them make the tea and nothing more.

The annoying thing is that all the greats of the 90s and early 00s should have been welcomed back as soon as they finished, so they could continue there education at the club. So much knowledge and love for the club been lost because of one mans ego.
You would hope so

I firmly believe that Wenker would not stand for a Bergkamp / Vieira / Henry / Adams there while he was in charge as they would be more popular with the fans than him and may be seen as a viable candidate for a coup by Gazidis.

Not sure that the Steve Boukds red and white army chant away at Southampton went down too well either.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
jmp442 wrote:Do you think the club will make an effort to bring back the likes of TA6 once Wenger goes? I know a few players have positions or have been offered positions but seems like Wenger is content to let them make the tea and nothing more.

You would hope so

I firmly believe that Wenker would not stand for a Bergkamp / Vieira / Henry / Adams there while he was in charge as they would be more popular with the fans than him and may be seen as a viable candidate for a coup by Gazidis.

Not sure that the Steve Boukds red and white army chant away at Southampton went down too well either.
Bould's safe as houses. He is Arsene's bitch and he is happy enough to be that. Offers absolute zero threat to the Sith Lord Venger and will be welcome there as long as he knows his place. :twisted:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

TA6 has shown what a loss he has been to the Arsenal coaching set up, by managing to lose to the only team who were below GFC in the league, who are now above them. I loved him as a player, but his record as a coach is atrocious.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

GranadaJoe wrote:TA6 has shown what a loss he has been to the Arsenal coaching set up, by managing to lose to the only team who were below GFC in the league, who are now above them. I loved him as a player, but his record as a coach is atrocious.
Agreed. Don't buy into the populist clamour about getting playing legends into the club at all costs. Absolutely zero appetite for the likes of Henry to return in the same vein.

Those who have slogged away learning their trade and building up experience like Vieira and Bergkamp would be more than welcome.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Such a great guy. He deserves another shot at managing a decent club, he has not had very long at any team but I guess managers don't anymore unless your name is Wenger.