Premier League is shite

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Premier League is shite

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Merge this with any other thread with a similar topic. After watching the quality of Juventus and both Dortmund and Monaco you have to ask the question why are we so behind. Chelsea are built on defensive ability but nowhere near the attacking quality of both Juventus and Monaco.
I was of the opinion that these teams had easy leagues and were not so good but all three I've seen so far seem above the current leaders of the Prem.
Let's not mention Arsenal in this one, currently we would be poor in the Europa League. Last question how has this happened with all the wages the Prem teams pay

GoonerMuzz

Re: Premier League is shite

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The PL still has too many old school managers in it, which holds back the league, its only been in recent years a few of the best of the newer foreign managers have headed over here.

It also comes down to grass roots, the FA are so tradition bound in their training/coaching methods and syllibus that it takes a long time to filter newer more modern methods down to upcoming managers but also to the young players too.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I have a feeling in the next few years the PL will be the dominate league again. Goes in cycles.

The real issue the PL has is that the teams have to pay way more in wages than teams in other leagues.

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:I have a feeling in the next few years the PL will be the dominate league again. Goes in cycles.

The real issue the PL has is that the teams have to pay way more in wages than teams in other leagues.
The PL's dominance came during a time when the four were locked in every season, with the only question being in what order they'd finish. Now you have six teams fighting tooth and nail to get those places, which is clearly having an impact on European performance. The cream of Europe don't have to fight to get into the CL, so they're fresher when it comes to the knockout stages and all the English sides are blowing out of their arses.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Mistical92 wrote:
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:I have a feeling in the next few years the PL will be the dominate league again. Goes in cycles.

The PL's dominance came during a time when the four were locked in every season, with the only question being in what order they'd finish. Now you have six teams fighting tooth and nail to get those places, which is clearly having an impact on European performance. The cream of Europe don't have to fight to get into the CL, so they're fresher when it comes to the knockout stages and all the English sides are blowing out of their arses.
Yes and no, it still doesn't explain why the weaker European teams can still give ours the run around tactically and also in terms of individual skill and technique. I still maintain something is drastically wrong at the grass roots 'teaching' levels, both for players and managers/coaches.

In a way it similar to why the Southern Hemisphere teams for years ran rampant over the Northern Ones in DB10's favourite sport.

British sport has this hangup where as we started most of them we obviously must be so much better than everyone else in how we do them and therefore don't need to change, a bit like someone else we all know :rubchin:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Mistical92 wrote:

I don't think 'freshness' plays any more than a marginal part in the situation. If you've watched the English teams get knocked out I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that it's a result of the other teams being fitter on the night. To me the Bayerns, Madrids, Juves etc just look better. Better players technically, smarter tactically and generally smarter footballers.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mistical92 wrote:

I don't think 'freshness' plays any more than a marginal part in the situation. If you've watched the English teams get knocked out I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that it's a result of the other teams being fitter on the night. To me the Bayerns, Madrids, Juves etc just look better. Better players technically, smarter tactically and generally smarter footballers.
Yeah they for sure have better players. And better players on far less wages.

Take Atletico Madrid for example. From their best 11 players and our best 11, who would make the overall best 11? I think only Sanchez and Kos (maybe Cazorla) from The Arsenal makes the cut. Yet, we pay much higher wages to our group of scrubs.

Walcott or Yanick Carrasco? LOL
Bellerin or Juanfran?
Monreal or Filipe Luis?
Godin or Mustafi?
Giroud or Greizeman? LOL
Xhaka or Gabi?
Ox or Saul?
Ozil or Koke? (This one could be close)

I don't have the numbers but I bet almost all of our players make more than their counterparts, yet are not as good.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mistical92 wrote:

Take Atletico Madrid for example. From their best 11 players and our best 11, who would make the overall best 11? I think only Sanchez and Kos (maybe Cazorla) from The Arsenal makes the cut. Yet, we pay much higher wages to our group of scrubs.

Bellerin or Juanfran?
Monreal or Filipe Luis?
Godin or Mustafi?
Giroud or Greizeman? LOL
Xhaka or Gabi?
Ox or Saul?

I don't have the numbers but I bet almost all of our players make more than their counterparts, yet are not as good.
Kos??? You're kidding, right? :shock: Bang average defender made to look better because the rest of our defenders are THAT shit. :roll:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Well English clubs had their last peak in the 2000s. Even the Arsenal's 'purple patch' in the Be All and End All was between 2004-10 before the annual R16 reamings took hold. There is also the argument that our league is so competitive and the lack of a winter break means that English clubs are too shagged out to perform in Europe. Then there's our blanket derision of the Europa League, which we will be playing in next season.

Also, the PL totally fucking sold out. We are the 'world league' now and could not give a shit about developing British/Irish players. I'd be all in favour of having a five foreigners per club limit in the PL. It'd sort the wheat from the chaff straight away. The PL has also effectively killed much of the interest in internationals. One day, the England team will have to call on Championship players, just as the other home nations do, as they won't be given a game in the PL.

The shower of cúnts running the PL/FA have ruined it all with greed and money.

Clash

Post by Clash »

All the hype there was in the summer about Pep V Mourinho in Manchester ... and then late in April they're playing out a desperately poor 0-0 in a battle for a top 4 spot :roll:

And this is the night after last seasons 1st & 2nd placed teams played an even worse game, settled by a later deflection.

The title of this thread has never been more accurate.

General

Post by General »

So called European giants Barca and Juve played out a drab 0-0 in the CL and I don't recall anyone calling them out for it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:All the hype there was in the summer about Pep V Mourinho in Manchester ... and then late in April they're playing out a desperately poor 0-0 in a battle for a top 4 spot :roll:

And this is the night after last seasons 1st & 2nd placed teams played an even worse game, settled by a later deflection.

The title of this thread has never been more accurate.
:lol:

Did SkySports give last night's shitefest of a game their usual hyperbolic title? We've had the damp squibs that were "Red Monday" and "Mersey Monday". Maybe they called last night's game something like "The Manchester Meh"? :yawn: :roll:

General

Post by General »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mistical92 wrote:

Bellerin or Juanfran?
Monreal or Filipe Luis?
Godin or Mustafi?
Giroud or Greizeman? LOL
Xhaka or Gabi?
Ox or Saul?

The PL is not without its flaws but I think people are getting a bit carried away. I've had this debate on various forums over the years with folk who watch these leagues religiously and there are a lot of factors to consider.

Atletico's squad certainly ain't better than ours. Griezman and Oblak are their standout players. The rest are a mixture of experienced and decent players which tells you just how good a job Simeone is doing. Felipe Luiz came to Chelsea and looked like a fish out of water. He was so poor they had to play that Azpucuiyeketta guy ahead of him. Our two useless left backs will get into that team.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mistical92 wrote:

Bellerin or Juanfran?
Monreal or Filipe Luis?
Godin or Mustafi?
Giroud or Greizeman? LOL
Xhaka or Gabi?
Ox or Saul?

The PL is not without its flaws but I think people are getting a bit carried away. I've had this debate on various forums over the years with folk who watch these leagues religiously and there are a lot of factors to consider.

Atletico's squad certainly ain't better than ours. Griezman and Oblak are their standout players. The rest are a mixture of experienced and decent players which tells you just how good a job Simeone is doing. Felipe Luiz came to Chelsea and looked like a fish out of water. He was so poor they had to play that Azpucuiyeketta guy ahead of him. Our two useless left backs will get into that team.
The other thing that Yankee isn't seeing there is that he's comparing apples and oranges. You put any of those players in a new team and in a different league and their performance level and success rate can change drastically. The two leagues are also vastly different in style, competitiveness and physicality.

General

Post by General »

DB10GOONER wrote:
General wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mistical92 wrote:

Bellerin or Juanfran?
Monreal or Filipe Luis?
Godin or Mustafi?
Giroud or Greizeman? LOL
Xhaka or Gabi?
Ox or Saul?

The other thing that Yankee isn't seeing there is that he's comparing apples and oranges. You put any of those players in a new team and in a different league and their performance level and success rate can change drastically. The two leagues are also vastly different in style, competitiveness and physicality.
You are certainly not wrong there.

One of the factors that has slowly helped clip the wings of PL teams in Europe is Platini and his fair play nonsense. United and Chelsea carried big squads circa 2008 and it is no coincidence they competed the CL final that year. Also one of the worst chav team in living memory won it in 2012.