Highbury

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Highbury

Post by Allgunsblazin »

It has been a decade since the old stadium was ripped down and dare I say ripped out a few Arsenal fans hearts at the same time...
Remember the clamber for souvenirs of the old lady, seats, bits of turf etc etc, the club got into Boot Sale mode and made a few quid selling our souls at the same time....
Promises of a new stadium with over 60,000 seats and a team laden with talent to match, all this and led by Arsene Wenger, the Jesus Christ of Arsenal...
I must say I have always gone along with change, but this change was perhaps going to be the biggest ever imagined by a lowly at the bottom of the food chain supporter of AFC...
Remember when shirt sponsorship was introduced in the 1980's, I absolutely hated a sponsors name on our club colours, now near everyone walks around supporting some blue chip company...
Perhaps this was the direction Football PLC was going with the naming of Stadia, like Emirates or Sports Direct, could never understand why we could not keep the name Highbury or at least keep our Cannon pointed in the right direction, something sacred to every Gooners heart and ripped away from our shirts like we had been court marshalled and thrown aside to make way for some hooray Henry or Henrietta...
I often think back to days when I would rush up to the North Bank and get my spot on the crash barrier at about 1pm, yes I know, two hours before kick off, mingling with your mates on what had been a shit or good week...
Then after the game all heading out to the tube and getting a copy of the Evening News with latest scores on the back page and the old transistor radio enthusiast bellowing out scores to responses of glee or woe...

Nowadays it's all lets meet for dinner before the game, or dine to Chef Benior in Platinum Level, think they have amusement arcades up there now for the chubby Tarquins that moan they are bored...
Yes it has all changed, but this was never Arsenal FC, this was Arsene FC, he absolutely loved this new Dynasty being built in his honour...Statues would be erected bridges would be named and for you mere mortals, how about a brick with your message or dedication on it....
Money money money, the Corporates are here to stay, I used to go to a "Match", nowadays it is an "Experience" and a fucking bad one at that for over 10 years...
It has been a slow death of Arsenal FC and the only decent thing in that Shades of Grey monstrosity is the pitch, shame that the teams have not matched the perfect pitch...
And what did Hill Wood promise after the final game against Wigan?
Say no more!....

northbank123

Re: Highbury

Post by northbank123 »

Ironic that our last season there was the last time we looked capable of competing in Europe given the bold and empty promises and commitments which were made.

Clash

Post by Clash »

This photo still makes me very angry:

For all the talk there was of listed buildings and not being able to redevelop ... just look there at how little of the original structure actually got left untouched. Hardly anything.

Literally just a facade. Which sums the club up.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:This photo still makes me very angry:

For all the talk there was of listed buildings and not being able to redevelop ... just look there at how little of the original structure actually got left untouched. Hardly anything.

They could very easily have put a proper replication of the North Bank at the Clock End and had 45 - 50,000 but they wouldn't have had the entire ring of corporate boxes that the Emirates has, so guess which option they chose?

We are moving to compete wirh the cream of Europe was the sales pitch.. .....we are still waiting 10 year's on for thst to happen.
Leicester have managed it !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Sold a lie, we let it go too easily.

21st century football :cussing:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

flash gunner wrote:Sold a lie, we let it go too easily.

Absolutely correct.
I really miss the place,particularly the North Bank,
you walked in,put a bet on,had a little look in the mini club shop,went to the bar near that stage thing,usually got a pint pretty quickly,or got a cold bottle of Bud from one of those guys walking around with a fridge thing on their backs,and told the same guy you saw every time that you,"Didn't want to apply for an Arsenal fucking credit card in return for a fucking Beanie!"
Good Days :barscarf:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Fuck, I'd never seen this before. As you say, I thought they were listed buildings (rather than just listed walls)?

It's odd, because inside the ground/flats now, the East and West stands do still feel the same to me, but having seen that photo, it's hard to understand how.

Have to say, I hated the Emirates from day one and refused to go in the 2006/07 season after the first time. Gave it a solid go in a few seasons after, and it did begin to feel familiar, but never like home. West Ham fans act as if they have the monopoly on 'new stadium disappointment', but tbh they need to join the back of the queue.

Even when Wenger goes, that monstrosity of a stadium will remain, and that, to me, is his legacy. If I awoke tomorrow to hear that the Emirates has been blown up and that we're rebuilding Highbury, that's the best case scenario.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

If anyone has any photos of the old girl, no matter how far back, it would be cool if you could add them to the thread for nostalgia and cheer us all up a bit with this struggle!.... :barscarf: :D

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Wow! Never seen that photo before didnt realise that is what was left. Bloody joke!! Really sad to see.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Sold a lie, we let it go too easily.

Absolutely correct.
I really miss the place,particularly the North Bank,
you walked in,put a bet on,had a little look in the mini club shop,went to the bar near that stage thing,usually got a pint pretty quickly,or got a cold bottle of Bud from one of those guys walking around with a fridge thing on their backs,and told the same guy you saw every time that you,"Didn't want to apply for an Arsenal fucking credit card in return for a fucking Beanie!"
Good Days :barscarf:
Oh that smell of tobacco wafting through the ground,even nearly 40 years later if i smell that smell it takes me back to Highbury,and the peanut geezer,yep happy days indeed :cry:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

This photograph is a metaphor for what those :censored: Kronke,Gazidis,Wenger et al, have done to OUR Club.
They have ripped it's heart and soul out,leaving only,as Clash says, a facade. :twisted: :banghead:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:

This photograph is a metaphor for what those :censored: Kronke,Gazidis,Wenger et al, have done to OUR Club.
They have ripped it's heart and soul out,leaving only,as Clash says, a facade. :twisted: :banghead:
And we'll never ever get it back..
And that kinda makes me feel so empty and indifferent about the club now.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

wilko49er wrote:Wow! Never seen that photo before didnt realise that is what was left. Bloody joke!! Really sad to see.
It was my understanding that other parts were taken away, restored then returned like the marble hallway but I may be mistaken ( I often am!).

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Got more but no time to sort them now!