Manchester City (N) | FA Cup SF | Sun 23 Apr 15:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wilson

Re: Manchester City (N) | FA Cup SF | Sun 23 Apr 15:00

Post by Wilson »

City's problem is they are in denial. We know we have problems and need a massive overhaul. However, they think they are on the right track.

Chelsea and Tottenham are hands down the best two teams, it was easy to see watching the quality of football in their semi final. Contrast to ourselves and City - poor defending and both teams looking very lethargic as the game wore on. We played misguided faith in players like Walcott, Giroud and Ramsey, they place misguided faith in players like Sterling, Stones and Kompany. Although some City fans see themselves as Barcelona like quality - deluded fools

I was actually confident of beating them, given they are not a disciplined team that plays for 90 minutes. Although they should have beaten us, and a combination of poor refereeing and missed chance by them sunk them. But then again teams that cant overcome dodgy decisions or put their chances away are not great teams.

Rest assured, massive improvement is needed to beat Chelsea.

augie

Post by augie »

The thing is that citeeh cant even point at the defence yesterday for costing them as it usually does - we rarely troubled them going forward, but likewise we pretty much held them at bay too. De Bryune showed again yesterday, that in the big games he is more invisible than casper the ghost :roll: Silva is the fulcrum that the citeeh team is built around, and without him they struggle to create and dictate the pace of a game. It is a shocking indictment for their midfield that they could not dominate against one of the worst AFC central midfield partnerships in recent years :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I'm happy I hope your happy too !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:The thing is that citeeh cant even point at the defence yesterday for costing them as it usually does - we rarely troubled them going forward, but likewise we pretty much held them at bay too. De Bryune showed again yesterday, that in the big games he is more invisible than casper the ghost :roll: Silva is the fulcrum that the citeeh team is built around, and without him they struggle to create and dictate the pace of a game. It is a shocking indictment for their midfield that they could not dominate against one of the worst AFC central midfield partnerships in recent years :roll:
Yep, Silva is their only true creator. Also TBH when I saw them starting Fat Yaya and Kompany I thought "we have a chance here". :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

To be honest DB10 I didn't think it was a fantastic save. It was not a fantastically well hit shot from some distance and as usual there was no footwork and he went down in instalments.

Maybe I'm being unfairly critical in this instance but i thought it should have been more comfortable than that.

Either way he is completely and utterly finished at this level. Appalling for their goal, didn't once come out to deal with any of the corners they were sticking on the six yard box and generally does little to inspire confidence.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:To be honest DB10 I didn't think it was a fantastic save. It was not a fantastically well hit shot from some distance and as usual there was no footwork and he went down in instalments.

Maybe I'm being unfairly critical in this instance but i thought it should have been more comfortable than that.

Either way he is completely and utterly finished at this level. Appalling for their goal, didn't once come out to deal with any of the corners they were sticking on the six yard box and generally does little to inspire confidence.
I think you are being a tad unfair tbh. It was a superb save. He literally got his finger tips to it at full stretch. But I do agree he is waaaay past his sell by date and costs us more than he saves us. He was terrible for Aguero's goal, and he got nowhere near the header that hit our crossbar... :|

Ospina isn't the answer either and Martinez is very young and inexperienced. But seeing as football is only played from the midfield forward in Wengerland I doubt he'll be buying in a top keeper anytime soon... more likely another Cech-style, past-it, bargain bucket knock off... :roll:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

northbank123 wrote:To be honest DB10 I didn't think it was a fantastic save. It was not a fantastically well hit shot from some distance and as usual there was no footwork and he went down in instalments.

In realtime i thought class save, then on the replay i realised just how much he relied on his size, but he got there, if it was closer in, his reaction time would have left him stranded

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:I'm happy I hope your happy too !

Have to be honest herd and admit that I am not - I really don't give a fcuk how that will make me look to some Gooners, but the reality is that I would prioritise AFC's future ahead of winning one trophy this season.
A lot of fans keep repeating that they believe that wenker is staying regardless and we should just focus on enjoying these games, but isn't that the equivalent of waving the white flag in the same manner we ALL slate the players for doing - in the big games our players continually surrender and it drives us nuts, but yet these same fans are saying that we should surrender and accept that wenker is staying, and just enjoy ourselves, and that is double standards imo :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

augie wrote:

Have to be honest herd and admit that I am not - I really don't give a fcuk how that will make me look to some Gooners, but the reality is that I would prioritise AFC's future ahead of winning one trophy this season.
A lot of fans keep repeating that they believe that wenker is staying regardless and we should just focus on enjoying these games, but isn't that the equivalent of waving the white flag in the same manner we ALL slate the players for doing - in the big games our players continually surrender and it drives us nuts, but yet these same fans are saying that we should surrender and accept that wenker is staying, and just enjoy ourselves, and that is double standards imo :roll:
Augie fella I respect you have a different opinion ,it just doesn't work for me !
I do realise that a Cup win helps TOF but I can't let that stop me wanting them to win,I just can't ,that's me .
I also understand that yesterdays win may go a long towards him into signing another contract ,I can't help that either .
I still support the protests and want him gone despite what others might think but if he stays he stays,my conscience is clear.
Support the team not the regime !
If by some miracle we win the Cup this year and stop the red sea pedestrians winning the league on Sunday I will be very very happy that we managed to salvage something from what has been a train wreck of a season !

Imagine Spurs best season in living memory , and they don't have a trophy and we do ,Fuck yes !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:

If you are referring to my comments then you have totally misread them. How is it "surrendering"? It is just accepting reality. I'm not saying the protests should stop, but I accept that no matter how much hard work that the likes of xisstential, mattyb and Jumpers for Goalposts have done, ultimately it won't drive Wenger out - not this season anyway... so I will try and get some enjoyment from football where I can. If you cannot separate the two things that is your issue.

Personally I have accepted he is staying. And I will try and enjoy the FA Cup final and I will hope we win it because I have accepted the harsh reality that he is not leaving no matter what happens at Wembley. Am I gonna let that ruin my life? Let it turn me against my club that I have supported for 40 years and followed all over England and Europe and spent thousands in cash and hours doing so? Not a chance.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Scum losing made the day for me.
Lucky Arsenal - again. Every game we start with 'Le Lampost' up front shows our 'piss poor' striker problem. Never mind we're in the final, and I get to wear my 40 y/old shirt in front of the telly !!. C'mon you gunners. :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

If you are referring to my comments then you have totally misread them. How is it "surrendering"? It is just accepting reality. I'm not saying the protests should stop, but I accept that no matter how much hard work that the likes of xisstential, mattyb and Jumpers for Goalposts have done, ultimately it won't drive Wenger out - not this season anyway... so I will try and get some enjoyment from football where I can. If you cannot separate the two things that is your issue.

Personally I have accepted he is staying. And I will try and enjoy the FA Cup final and I will hope we win it because I have accepted the harsh reality that he is not leaving no matter what happens at Wembley. Am I gonna let that ruin my life? Let it turn me against my club that I have supported for 40 years and followed all over England and Europe and spent thousands in cash and hours doing so? Not a chance.

For a small man you sure have a lot of paranoia :lol: :lol:

It was a generalized comment that covers many fans DB10, but I don't dispute that you are included in that group - what you call accepting the reality, I call surrendering. One of many critcisms of these players is that these players don't man up for the games against the big clubs - could that be viewed as accepting the reality that wenker has taught about being unable to compete with these clubs ? Personally I cannot accept that he is staying and I cannot accept the players, the managers and the board not doing everything they can to succeed, and this "acceptance" of a second/third rate manager does not work for me

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
augie wrote:

Augie fella I respect you have a different opinion ,it just doesn't work for me !
I do realise that a Cup win helps TOF but I can't let that stop me wanting them to win,I just can't ,that's me .
I also understand that yesterdays win may go a long towards him into signing another contract ,I can't help that either .
I still support the protests and want him gone despite what others might think but if he stays he stays,my conscience is clear.
Support the team not the regime !
If by some miracle we win the Cup this year and stop the red sea pedestrians winning the league on Sunday I will be very very happy that we managed to salvage something from what has been a train wreck of a season !

Imagine Spurs best season in living memory , and they don't have a trophy and we do ,Fuck yes !

That is the line that I have the problem with buddy - would you not be prepared to accept a trophyless season now, if it meant that wenker would be gone at the end of this season ? Wenker is THE BIGGEST cancer in our club, and no short term gain should be prioritized over getting shot of him

If I'm honest, I will admit that I don't support the "support the team not the regime" slogan - I support THE CLUB and not a specific group of players, and I would never put the interests of this group of gutless fcuks, over what I deem to be in the best long term interests of the club

Herd

Post by Herd »

Augie is saying "NO SURRENDER" well that's a new one !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

For a small man you sure have a lot of paranoia :lol: :lol:

It was a generalized comment that covers many fans DB10, but I don't dispute that you are included in that group - what you call accepting the reality, I call surrendering. One of many critcisms of these players is that these players don't man up for the games against the big clubs - could that be viewed as accepting the reality that wenker has taught about being unable to compete with these clubs ? Personally I cannot accept that he is staying and I cannot accept the players, the managers and the board not doing everything they can to succeed, and this "acceptance" of a second/third rate manager does not work for me
The elephant in the room you are missing is those players can in a fundamental way dictate a change in their performance on the pitch. They can play better. They can show more heart. They can refuse to lie down. They can give more. They can train harder. They can fight harder. Ultimately the manager's influence is very limited during games - all players and managers will tell you that - and once they cross that white line you rely on the players to give their best and to have a spirit and a never say die psyche. Our players don't. And yes a lot of that is down to Wenger, but also a lot of it is down to the players.

But as fans we cannot influence Wenger's tenure because the board and the owner don't give a shit about us or football or winning trophies. We can protest and we can boycott etc, but ultimately it will not affect Wenger's tenure. We have no tangible power over our own destiny beyond personal decisions like deciding not to go anymore, because our owner and board are not football people and they view our club as a business. At other clubs where the owners/board are football people the fans might have some influence, but at Modern Arsenal? We have none unfortunately.

You also seem a bit confused and to be implying that accepting the cold hard fact Wenger is not leaving (the bit in red) is somehow to be seen as accepting that as the norm. It isn't. You can see and accept a fact without being a supporter of that fact. It's called being pragmatic.