Manchester City (N) | FA Cup SF | Sun 23 Apr 15:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Manchester City (N) | FA Cup SF | Sun 23 Apr 15:00

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:Augie is saying "NO SURRENDER" well that's a new one !

No I'm not saying that herd - I know that this will piss off chris and the lads that are working so hard on these protests, but if I'm honest I will give up if it is announced that he is staying on as manager :oops: :cry: :cry: Until that day comes however, I do not think that we (long term Gooners) should give up our fight to send the old c.unt back to france by any means necessary, and if that means surrendering a trophy this season, then I am totally fine with that 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Herd wrote:
augie wrote:
Herd wrote:I'm happy I hope your happy too !

Have to be honest herd and admit that I am not - I really don't give a fcuk how that will make me look to some Gooners, but the reality is that I would prioritise AFC's future ahead of winning one trophy this season.
A lot of fans keep repeating that they believe that wenker is staying regardless and we should just focus on enjoying these games, but isn't that the equivalent of waving the white flag in the same manner we ALL slate the players for doing - in the big games our players continually surrender and it drives us nuts, but yet these same fans are saying that we should surrender and accept that wenker is staying, and just enjoy ourselves, and that is double standards imo :roll:
Augie fella I respect you have a different opinion ,it just doesn't work for me !
I do realise that a Cup win helps TOF but I can't let that stop me wanting them to win,I just can't ,that's me .
I also understand that yesterdays win may go a long towards him into signing another contract ,I can't help that either .
I still support the protests and want him gone despite what others might think but if he stays he stays,my conscience is clear.
Support the team not the regime !
If by some miracle we win the Cup this year and stop the red sea pedestrians winning the league on Sunday I will be very very happy that we managed to salvage something from what has been a train wreck of a season !

Imagine Spurs best season in living memory , and they don't have a trophy and we do ,Fuck yes !

That is the line that I have the problem with buddy - would you not be prepared to accept a trophyless season now, if it meant that wenker would be gone at the end of this season ? Wenker is THE BIGGEST cancer in our club, and no short term gain should be prioritized over getting shot of him

If I'm honest, I will admit that I don't support the "support the team not the regime" slogan - I support THE CLUB and not a specific group of players, and I would never put the interests of this group of gutless fcuks, over what I deem to be in the best long term interests of the club
I don't agree that winning the FA Cup helps Wenger in a tangible way as he was never under any threat from the board or owner. It's a moot point. If I thought for one second a trophyless season would get rid of Wenger I'd suck it up and hope for no trophy for the long term health of the club. But if the last 12 years have taught us anything it's that concepts like that are fantasy.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
Herd wrote:I'm happy I hope your happy too !

Have to be honest herd and admit that I am not - I really don't give a fcuk how that will make me look to some Gooners, but the reality is that I would prioritise AFC's future ahead of winning one trophy this season.
A lot of fans keep repeating that they believe that wenker is staying regardless and we should just focus on enjoying these games, but isn't that the equivalent of waving the white flag in the same manner we ALL slate the players for doing - in the big games our players continually surrender and it drives us nuts, but yet these same fans are saying that we should surrender and accept that wenker is staying, and just enjoy ourselves, and that is double standards imo :roll:
If you are referring to my comments then you have totally misread them. How is it "surrendering"? It is just accepting reality. I'm not saying the protests should stop, but I accept that no matter how much hard work that the likes of xisstential, mattyb and Jumpers for Goalposts have done, ultimately it won't drive Wenger out - not this season anyway... so I will try and get some enjoyment from football where I can. If you cannot separate the two things that is your issue.

Personally I have accepted he is staying. And I will try and enjoy the FA Cup final and I will hope we win it because I have accepted the harsh reality that he is not leaving no matter what happens at Wembley. Am I gonna let that ruin my life? Let it turn me against my club that I have supported for 40 years and followed all over England and Europe and spent thousands in cash and hours doing so? Not a chance.

For a small man you sure have a lot of paranoia :lol: :lol:

It was a generalized comment that covers many fans DB10, but I don't dispute that you are included in that group - what you call accepting the reality, I call surrendering. One of many critcisms of these players is that these players don't man up for the games against the big clubs - could that be viewed as accepting the reality that wenker has taught about being unable to compete with these clubs ? Personally I cannot accept that he is staying and I cannot accept the players, the managers and the board not doing everything they can to succeed, and this "acceptance" of a second/third rate manager does not work for me
The elephant in the room you are missing is those players can in a fundamental way dictate a change in their performance on the pitch. They can play better. They can show more heart. They can refuse to lie down. They can give more. They can train harder. They can fight harder. Ultimately the manager's influence is very limited during games - all players and managers will tell you that - and once they cross that white line you rely on the players to give their best and to have a spirit and a never say die psyche. Our players don't. And yes a lot of that is down to Wenger, but also a lot of it is down to the players.

But as fans we cannot influence Wenger's tenure because the board and the owner don't give a shit about us or football or winning trophies. We can protest and we can boycott etc, but ultimately it will not affect Wenger's tenure. We have no tangible power over our own destiny beyond personal decisions like deciding not to go anymore, because our owner and board are not football people and they view our club as a business. At other clubs where the owners/board are football people the fans might have some influence, but at Modern Arsenal? We have none unfortunately.

You also seem a bit confused and to be implying that accepting the cold hard fact Wenger is not leaving (the bit in red) is somehow to be seen as accepting that as the norm. It isn't. You can see and accept a fact without being a supporter of that fact. It's called being pragmatic.

So, and I know that I am taking your words literally here, you have no problem with the old French c.unt sitting their motionless throughout games, except on the times when he flaps his arms and/or berates the poor 4th official ?? :shock: :shock: I absolutely agree that the majority of a managers work is down during the week of a game, but they still have responsibilities to game manage as well (something le cock is particularly shit at) with changes of tactics/personel and bollocking players where necessary, and to call any managers influence as limited is giving him an unwarranted free pass imo.
We will also agree that the players (wenkers players) need to do more and show more passion and commitment, but they are certainly restricted on what they can do as regards changing the pattern of a game - I have a young lad playing for his league representative under 14 side, and the instructions they receive from their managers are expected to be followed implicitly regardless of whether the instructions are flawed or not, and that to me sums up wenker's style of management. Players game managing and recognizing and altering weaknesses is not tolerated under wenker's regime, so if a tactical system or team selection is screwing us over continually, there is only so much that the players can do to remedy it, and ultimately this must frustrate and wear down the players

The thing I would also question is the suggestion that the protests will not affect wenker's future - what proof do we have on that ? The two year contract offer was publicly known before the protests really went up a level (some might say that the contract offer led to the increased vocal opposition), so the club made the offer before the fans had a chance to influence them. We seem happy to believe some of the stuff in the media from inside the club, so do we believe that there is a drive to change our internal structures and take some power away from le cock ? What do you think may have influenced such a move ? Without doubt I would say that the fans unhappiness at wenker will have played a part in instigating moves for a shake up, and I say that even if wenker ends up staying on

augie

Post by augie »

Can I also say that I think that the boards past refusals to sack wenker mid-contract, is not the same as having the chance to ease him out now when his contract runs out - in the past they may have been gutless or they may have happy to back him when winning the fa cup when his last contract ran out, but this is a different situation now and past negligence could be reversed now.
Ultimately he could well end up signing a new contract, but this is the easiest opportunity they will ever have to get rid of him ........ whether they take they chance is another story, but the circumstances are different now and should not assume that he will be kept on because he was in the past

EC3

Post by EC3 »

I notice a few comments saying both Ramsey and Xhaka shit yesterday.

I actually thought gave a very disaplined performance

Nothing fancy, closed down, worked hard and most importantly kept the shape right.

Happy with that.

Herd

Post by Herd »

augie wrote:
No I'm not saying that herd - I know that this will piss off chris and the lads that are working so hard on these protests, but if I'm honest I will give up if it is announced that he is staying on as manager :oops: :cry: :cry: Until that day comes however, I do not think that we (long term Gooners) should give up our fight to send the old c.unt back to france by any means necessary, and if that means surrendering a trophy this season, then I am totally fine with that 8)
I understand that,I'd rather have another trophy in the record books ,but fully realise the nightmare of nothing AND Wenger is a more realistic scenario !

I'm almost done sad to say but every time I think i can walk away I get a surge from deep within and it all floods back for a while !
I also do understand mattb and the crew that have battled for some time to protest .

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
But as fans we cannot influence Wenger's tenure because the board and the owner don't give a shit about us or football or winning trophies. We can protest and we can boycott etc, but ultimately it will not affect Wenger's tenure. We have no tangible power over our own destiny beyond personal decisions like deciding not to go anymore, because our owner and board are not football people and they view our club as a business. At other clubs where the owners/board are football people the fans might have some influence, but at Modern Arsenal? We have none unfortunately.

Unfortunately it is this kind of thinking that stops the protest. The club can ignore a couple of hundred protesters but they couldn't ignore thousands. But most still think, why bother. Anyway, I am tired of this argument and I am tired of our fans. If Wenger signs I know I got off my Arsenal and did everything I could, sadly most didn't.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Unfortunately it is this kind of thinking that stops the protest. The club can ignore a couple of hundred protesters but they couldn't ignore thousands. But most still think, why bother. Anyway, I am tired of this argument and I am tired of our fans. If Wenger signs I know I got off my Arsenal and did everything I could, sadly most didn't.
Sorry Nick but that is horseshit. It doesn't stop fuck all. It doesn't influence things either way. I'm certainly not vain enough to think my opinion or comments will influence anyone. People make their own choices. And that is the problem. A lot of people that on the surface want a change of manager are not protesting because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that the owner/board will not be swayed by us the fans. Also, I think we need to be a bit more pragmatic and accept that we who want Wenger out are still not in the majority of Arsenal fans. We are (I believe) a large minority. It's a shame, but I believe it is true.

Does that mean the protests should stop? No. If people still have the heart for it then they should keep it going. Do I hope a continued protest could in some way someday see Wenger off? Yes, of course. Do I believe in my heart and soul that it would? No.

Either way, we at the Online Gooner (admin and mods) will continue to facilitate and offer any help we can to the leaders of the protest, some of which is stuff that can't be discussed on here.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Herd wrote:
augie wrote:
I understand that,I'd rather have another trophy in the record books ,but fully realise the nightmare of nothing AND Wenger is a more realistic scenario !

I'm almost done sad to say but every time I think i can walk away I get a surge from deep within and it all floods back for a while !
I also do understand mattb and the crew that have battled for some time to protest .
Talking of trophies in the record books ... I often wonder how many trophies we've missed out on in the last decade BECAUSE we have had Wenger as our manager. Its impossible to know but I would bet it would be more than just the 2 FA Cups he has won.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

EC3 wrote:I notice a few comments saying both Ramsey and Xhaka shit yesterday.

Nothing fancy, closed down, worked hard and most importantly kept the shape right.

Happy with that.
"Disciplined" is generous given that Xhaka made countless fouls and was lucky to avoid a yellow as long as he did.

To be honest I thought that the game just passed by the pair of them. Never looked like creating anything and (before Silva went off) did noThing to stop passes going through them at will to find De Bruyne or Silva in between the lines.

I expect more than that of CMs at this level.

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Sorry Nick but that is horseshit. It doesn't stop fuck all. It doesn't influence things either way. I'm certainly not vain enough to think my opinion or comments will influence anyone. People make their own choices. And that is the problem. A lot of people that on the surface want a change of manager are not protesting because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that the owner/board will not be swayed by us the fans. Also, I think we need to be a bit more pragmatic and accept that we who want Wenger out are still not in the majority of Arsenal fans. We are (I believe) a large minority. It's a shame, but I believe it is true.

Does that mean the protests should stop? No. If people still have the heart for it then they should keep it going. Do I hope a continued protest could in some way someday see Wenger off? Yes, of course. Do I believe in my heart and soul that it would? No.

Either way, we at the Online Gooner (admin and mods) will continue to facilitate and offer any help we can to the leaders of the protest, some of which is stuff that can't be discussed on here.
You really don't think you can change things through protest? It has happened at other clubs so why not ours?
To be honest I'm really sick of arguing but mostly sick of our fans.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
EC3 wrote:I notice a few comments saying both Ramsey and Xhaka shit yesterday.

Happy with that.
"Disciplined" is generous given that Xhaka made countless fouls and was lucky to avoid a yellow as long as he did.

To be honest I thought that the game just passed by the pair of them. Never looked like creating anything and (before Silva went off) did noThing to stop passes going through them at will to find De Bruyne or Silva in between the lines.

I expect more than that of CMs at this level.
Agreed. Even the pundits were saying it on BTsports - we were getting over run and out-passed in the middle until Silva went off. Even then it was Ramsey over-elaborating that gave possession away for their goal - yes Monreal and Cech were both woeful for the goal but where the fuck were our 2 CMs for their break? Neither got back and actually if one is as far advanced as Ramsey was then the other should be in a deeper holding role.

Xhaka is a catastrophe waiting to happen. If he plays in the final he will likely get sent off for a stupid nothing two-footer out on the touchline 60 yards from our goal and any need to lunge in. Only Coquelin even comes close to Xhaka for being an utterly stupid footballer... :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

You really don't think you can change things through protest? It has happened at other clubs so why not ours?
Again, it comes back to our owner and board. Kroenke is not a football man. He is a business man. We are not shit enough to hurt his return. Financially the pressure is not there. You have to remember that Arsenal operates as a non-quoted public limited company, so our ownership is considerably different from that of other football clubs. Wenger brings in the CL money (and the supposed prestige that goes with it for the marketing boys :roll: ) and the bowl sells enough season tickets and brings in enough tourists and JCL mongs that match day revenue is still profitable. Kroenke is the ONLY one with the power to sack Wenger but he won't. What does he care what a few thousand ungrateful fuckers like us think? If our owner was a football man (like many other owners) then maybe we could influence the owner and he'd sack Wenger. But he ain't.

So what is the other option? Hope Wenger gets sick of the protest and leaves off his own bat? I can't see that happening with his ego so out of whack... although I'd say there might be more chance of that happening then the wiggy cúnt sacking him... but even then, it's a minuscule chance. :|

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
NickF wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Again, it comes back to our owner and board. Kroenke is not a football man. He is a business man. We are not shit enough to hurt his return. Financially the pressure is not there. You have to remember that Arsenal operates as a non-quoted public limited company, so our ownership is considerably different from that of other football clubs. Wenger brings in the CL money (and the supposed prestige that goes with it for the marketing boys :roll: ) and the bowl sells enough season tickets and brings in enough tourists and JCL mongs that match day revenue is still profitable. Kroenke is the ONLY one with the power to sack Wenger but he won't. What does he care what a few thousand ungrateful fuckers like us think? If our owner was a football man (like many other owners) then maybe we could influence the owner and he'd sack Wenger. But he ain't.

So what is the other option? Hope Wenger gets sick of the protest and leaves off his own bat? I can't see that happening with his ego so out of whack... although I'd say there might be more chance of that happening then the wiggy cúnt sacking him... but even then, it's a minuscule chance. :|
Kroenke is not a football man so would hope he would employ/listen to someone who is. He did actually sack the head coach at his NFL side this season so there is hope....... :wink:

herbert

Post by herbert »

11 players wearing the shirt with grit and Determanation and all of our support getting right behind them = a cup final to look forward to in May :barscarf:

Tuck me I was so happy I even cuddled a couple of wobs at full time
Great weekend for the gunners :barscarf: