Ugo Ehiogu

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Ugo Ehiogu

Post by mcdowell42 »

Passed away today aged 44,after a suspected heart attack yesterday.

augie

Re: Ugo Ehiogu

Post by augie »

RIP

I always liked the guy as a defender, and used to feel that he was under-rated. It is shocking when any young person dies like this, but it is even more baffling when it happens to a former pro sportsperson - does the health deteriorate that much when the person no longer trains to the standards of pro sport ?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

That's terrible news to hear. He always seemed a nice bloke, very calm and kind in interviews and was a better player than he was given credit for. What's sad to think is that he'd have probably had a good mentality for management and would have had years left in the game.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Very sad news, always thought he was a very cultured defender. RIP

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Went to Primary School with him.

Great defender.

I'm shocked and saddened.

:cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:RIP

I always liked the guy as a defender, and used to feel that he was under-rated. It is shocking when any young person dies like this, but it is even more baffling when it happens to a former pro sportsperson - does the health deteriorate that much when the person no longer trains to the standards of pro sport ?
It could do. It could also be any of a number of factors.. a congenital heart condition missed by all the medicals he'd have had over the years, wear and tear on the muscles around the heart, poor diet or weight gain - sometimes players (looking at you Merson) put on weight quickly after retiring... but if Ehiogu was coaching you'd have to think he was still staying in shape to some degree. :|

Sad either way. RIP.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Terrible news

RIP

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Yet another reminder that life can turn in a second.
Very sad news

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I always thought he seemed like a decent bloke. It's very sad and a real shock, because he still looked in good shape and there would have been medics and defibrillators nearby.
Makes me think my cardiologist was right when he said I was lucky.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:I always thought he seemed like a decent bloke. It's very sad and a real shock, because he still looked in good shape and there would have been medics and defibrillators nearby.
I had to do advanced first responder training (what we used to call first aid training back in the days before every fucker had to have an action movie job title :roll: :lol: ) for work and I'll always remember the surprise everyone on the course expressed when the paramedic training us stated that on average the survival rate from CPR was only about 8%. Even with immediate defrib the survival rate is less than 40%.

Contrary to popular movie myth, you can't restart a heart with CPR. All you are doing with CPR alone is trying to restore partial flow of oxygenated blood to the brain and heart in an attempt to delay tissue death, hopefully long enough for successful defrib and prevent permanent brain damage.

You were indeed very lucky, mate. 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

RIP

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:I always thought he seemed like a decent bloke. It's very sad and a real shock, because he still looked in good shape and there would have been medics and defibrillators nearby.
I had to do advanced first responder training (what we used to call first aid training back in the days before every fucker had to have an action movie job title :roll: :lol: ) for work and I'll always remember the surprise everyone on the course expressed when the paramedic training us stated that on average the survival rate from CPR was only about 8%. Even with immediate defrib the survival rate is less than 40%.

Contrary to popular movie myth, you can't restart a heart with CPR
. All you are doing with CPR alone is trying to restore partial flow of oxygenated blood to the brain and heart in an attempt to delay tissue death, hopefully long enough for successful defrib and prevent permanent brain damage.

It seemed to work alright for tom cruise in mission impossible 3 :? Mind you if I had his wife straddled over me, I wouldn't be too long before jumping back into action 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

. All you are doing with CPR alone is trying to restore partial flow of oxygenated blood to the brain and heart in an attempt to delay tissue death, hopefully long enough for successful defrib and prevent permanent brain damage.

It seemed to work alright for tom cruise in mission impossible 3 :? Mind you if I had his wife straddled over me, I wouldn't be too long before jumping back into action 8)
:lol: :lol:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Sad news he was a good player often linked with us , would have liked him at his peak .
Working with the uttermench cannot have helped him though!

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol: :lol:
if she was on top of me all the blood would be heading away from my heart in a downwards direction :D