Giroud/Marsailles

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GranadaJoe

Re: Giroud/Marsailles

Post by GranadaJoe »

Herd wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I think Giroud's biggest problem is that 'Wengerball' leaves him isolated most of the time. I think in a different system he could be a decent striker but he'll never be a good fit into this one.

I wish him well if he goes.
Im with masher ,if he got any service or had a strike partner he would score 25 league goals a season and assist many more !

I don't think he'd ever get 25. He's OK in the air but nothing special and in general he just swings a leg at the ball and tries to power it into the net. On Sunday he had more success kicking thin air. He would need to develop the dinks, chips and side-footed goals that natural strikers have automatically.

General

Post by General »

He divides opinion just like the fraud.

If Marseilles are foolish enough to cough up £20m for him, we should deliver him on a private jet asap.

Clash

Post by Clash »

flash gunner wrote:Hate him sums up everything wrong the Arsene FC.
Couldnt agree more.

I hate everything about him. And more.

Typical Giroud scenario:

Has a shit game along with the team ... then he pops up with a late goal to save a bit of face ... our wanky PA announcer with that voice that could penetrate flesh then does his nauseating ''and the Arsenal goalscorer, number 12, Olivier Giroooooooouddd'' .... cue the crowd following it up with that awful ''na na na naaaa Giroooouddd'' :banghead: :banghead:

If behaeading, hanging or burning at the stake hadn't been so outrageously abolished in western europe, I would be in the front row if it was ever Giroud's turn ... and I'd be filiming it to watch it back 8) .

:wink:

bang goes the 0-0 draw

Post by bang goes the 0-0 draw »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:Le Lampost is getting worse.

I thought he contributed two-thirds of fuck-all yesterday. Additionally, he spends 20 minutes every game looking like he's about to burst into tears because he's broken his ankle, only to miraculously recover.

Even though I'm not convinced that Welbeck is the answer he does at least work hard and run quickly which creates space for others.

You can usually find Giroud where you last saw him ten minutes previously.
Didn't watch the game, huh? :roll: :lol:

The ONLY player on our team that really put in a shift and fought for everything that came near him was Giroud. Ultimately it was wasted effort because every ball he won (admittedly less than 50%) was laid off to no one because our two shit CM's had no idea where to be on the pitch at any given time. It was a thankless task up there against 2 and sometimes 3 citeh defenders but he gave everything.

Sure criticize him for being not good enough (he is not good enough at that level, we all know that) and for missing chances, but you can't question his effort against citeh. That's plain ludicrous tbh.

If Marseilles are stupid enough to offer £20 million for him we should bite their hand off. He is not worth that and it would free up £100k + a week in wages.

Welbeck is not the answer by any means. You definitely did not watch that game, mate. :roll: :lol: Welbeck did proper fuck all when he came on fresh late in the game. He chased nothing down, he hussled none of their defenders, his touch (as always) was too loose and the myth of his supposed "pace" was exposed yet again. He needs 10 to 15 yards to get up to top speed. A striker that relies on pace in the PL has to have an immediate standing start - Welbeck doesn't.

Ultimately, he's the same level as Giroud - PL average.

I wasn't sure what Confirmation Bias was, so I looked it up and it turns out it's what I thought it would be.
"The ONLY player on our team that really put in a shift and fought for everything that came near him was Giroud"

That is one hell of a statement considering how the back 3 played. Giroud was lazy the whole game. Not good enough to get involved in any of the play that didn't involve a hoof up from the keeper. The few times in the first half we needed someone to hold the ball up he couldn't. Tired of seeing because he won 2 headers our CMs should be busting a gut to get past him in the hope he could do his job.

Welbeck didn't chase anything down? :shock: :lol: now I see why you keep saying someone didn't watch the game...

Welebck may not be the answer but I think if Kompany and Otemendi had to pick between having Giroud play back to goal the whole game or Welbeck instead they would rather play against Giroud.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

£20m is good business for a 30year old clogger. We've got plenty of back up of similar quality. Plus adds to the budget of getting that young kid from Monaco that looks the real deal.

blackotelli9

Post by blackotelli9 »

Yeah true. The problem is that Wenger decides these players are good enough and then cannot accept it when they fail to deliver. How long did he persist with poor quality players like Denilson, Song, Hleb, Barndoor, Almunia, Flappy, Vela etc etc etc... :|

The key difference between Lukaku and Giroud is Lukaku's manager mostly sets up to get the best from his striker and Lukaku is benefiting from that coinciding with his once in a career Rob Lee season. Wenger will never set up to get the best from anyone, he will just wedge players into his system and hope for the best, so ultimately we will never see Giroud have that once in a career Rob Lee season. :|[/quote]

Just seen arsenal are the only prem team wanting lacazette I think if we sell giroud we could potentially land him £50m is apparently the price tag which means we basically pay 30m which would save 5m off of last year's 35m bid (arsene Wenger logic)

I've not watched him personally in the French league but I've heard a lot about him and he easily can be an upgrade on giroud. Other option is sell giroud use the money to pay Alexis his new contract and chambos contract sell ozil and ramsey buy isco and turan.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

blackotelli9 wrote:Yeah true. The problem is that Wenger decides these players are good enough and then cannot accept it when they fail to deliver. How long did he persist with poor quality players like Denilson, Song, Hleb, Barndoor, Almunia, Flappy, Vela etc etc etc... :|

The key difference between Lukaku and Giroud is Lukaku's manager mostly sets up to get the best from his striker and Lukaku is benefiting from that coinciding with his once in a career Rob Lee season. Wenger will never set up to get the best from anyone, he will just wedge players into his system and hope for the best, so ultimately we will never see Giroud have that once in a career Rob Lee season. :|

Just seen arsenal are the only prem team wanting lacazette I think if we sell giroud we could potentially land him £50m is apparently the price tag which means we basically pay 30m which would save 5m off of last year's 35m bid (arsene Wenger logic)

I've not watched him personally in the French league but I've heard a lot about him and he easily can be an upgrade on giroud. Other option is sell giroud use the money to pay Alexis his new contract and chambos contract sell ozil and ramsey buy isco and turan.[/quote]

Sadly, Ramsey is here for as long as Wenger is here. He's the "future", don't you know ?!! :(

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Believe it when I see it.... 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Tbh I think we'd do well to get a curly wurly and a couple of sherbet dib dabs :? :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

GranadaJoe wrote:
Herd wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I think Giroud's biggest problem is that 'Wengerball' leaves him isolated most of the time. I think in a different system he could be a decent striker but he'll never be a good fit into this one.

I wish him well if he goes.
Im with masher ,if he got any service or had a strike partner he would score 25 league goals a season and assist many more !

I don't think he'd ever get 25. He's OK in the air but nothing special and in general he just swings a leg at the ball and tries to power it into the net. On Sunday he had more success kicking thin air. He would need to develop the dinks, chips and side-footed goals that natural strikers have automatically.
Agree not a chance he would score 25 a season and for a guy that's main asset is his height ergo heading he has missed two sitters the last 2 times I've bothered watching.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

sick of people making excuses for him. yes we don't play to his strengths but even provided with absolute guilt-edged chances he often chokes. the man is the embodiment of every limitation in our squad. capable of some great football but just not good enough.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Tbh I think we'd do well to get a curly wurly and a couple of sherbet dib dabs :? :wink:
Sold to the man, with the curly wurly and 2 sherbert dib dabs.

Done.

LeftfootlegendGooner

StuartL wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Tbh I think we'd do well to get a curly wurly and a couple of sherbet dib dabs :? :wink:
Sold to the man, with the curly wurly and 2 sherbert dib dabs.

Done.
Ummm having had a rethink will you accept just the one sherbet dib dab :? :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Throw in Theo for the sherbet dib dabs...

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I'd fucking drive him there myself.

Nobody has or will ever win the title with such an average lone striker. It's a joke that he spent 4 years completely unchallenged and protected as our lone striker whilst putting in such a mediocre return both in terms of performances and goals.

A player who gets paid twice as much here as anywhere else and has won the football lottery, yet excuses sheer unwarranted arrogance. Not signing Higuain - one of the best goal scorers in Europe and about as close to a 'sure thing' as you can ask for with a big signing - at a very fair price is the epitome of Wenger's shameful policy of buying players loyalty and protecting those who just aren't good enough. That misplaced thinking being the exact reason why we didn't get an absolute bargain in Lloris to nail down the goalkeeping spot for a decade.