Stoke away (Travel/Pubs)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mattyj3nks

Stoke away (Travel/Pubs)

Post by mattyj3nks »

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Stoke by train on Saturday but need to meet a mate at the ground at 5pm to get my ticket off him.

What pubs are people drinking at before the match as over the years the pubs keep changing from the uni to the terrace?

I am going to have to do the 40 minute walk from the ground to the station as the away fans buses got me there 15 minutes after kick off a couple of years ago so need to make sure I'm there to get my ticket.

I know there is a harvester next to the ground aswell so may just head there if its easier.

Do they check your bus tickets to get back on the bus after the match to get to the station? thinking I could get on that for the way back rather than doing that walk.

Any help much appreciated

Mistical92

Re: Stoke away (Travel/Pubs)

Post by Mistical92 »

Yeah they check tickets but you might be able to just buy a single for the way back.

Re: pubs. Usually when you come out of the station the police direct you to wherever. Couple of years ago it was The Terrace, last year it was the Student Union. The Terrace was ok, the Student Union was shit, no tv's.

NickF

Post by NickF »

or just don't wear colours and go to any pub you like :D

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

There's a bar in a sports club quite near the ground when I went there 2 seasons back lost 1-0!

If you fancy a banner to take it's back on sale!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232329191748

Hope you lose!!

:barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just a reminder to everyone travelling to Stoke to set their watches to 1975 upon arrival

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:Just a reminder to everyone travelling to Stoke to set their watches to 1975 upon arrival

I went to Stoke away in 1990 FA Cup we won 1-0 with Quinn scoring but it was a shitehole back then (i doubt its changed) i remember me and my 15 year old brother being chased round these little cobbled streets back to the station.... I was more worried about my mum than those 'hardmen' she would have killed me if my brother had got hurt :? :D

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

flash gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:Just a reminder to everyone travelling to Stoke to set their watches to 1975 upon arrival

I went to Stoke away in 1990 FA Cup we won 1-0 with Quinn scoring but it was a shitehole back then (i doubt its changed) i remember me and my 15 year old brother being chased round these little cobbled streets back to the station.... I was more worried about my mum than those 'hardmen' she would have killed me if my brother had got hurt :? :D
I remember those side streets being very, very dark and cold on that night, You could make a right old scandi noir drama out of that one these days.

mattyj3nks

Post by mattyj3nks »

Does anyone know if the away pub this week will be the terrace or the uni bar?
Also, does someone come around selling the tickets for the bus or do you just pay as you get on??

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Don't drive there. The locals will keep stopping you to worship your Horseless God Wagon... :shock:

:barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

flash gunner wrote:

I remember going to their old shit tip in 96 just a few weeks after Wenger was appointed and pinching a draw in League Cup before we brought them back and smashed them. My two memories of those games were the coppers up there almost walking with us from where we parked our car to where the sole shitty away pub was. "I wouldn't recommend going that way" he said and pointed towards what can only be described as an even more shit part of the town. He told us they still bore a grudge against us from the double year and knocking them out of the cup ! Fucktards

In the return, that dickhead Nick Hancock was in one of the boxes above the Clock End giving it the large one when they scored....only to receive dog's abuse from the Gooners below when we stuffed them 5-2

Ahh...the days when it all seemed to matter !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

I remember going to their old shit tip in 96 just a few weeks after Wenger was appointed and pinching a draw in League Cup before we brought them back and smashed them. My two memories of those games were the coppers up there almost walking with us from where we parked our car to where the sole shitty away pub was. "I wouldn't recommend going that way" he said and pointed towards what can only be described as an even more shit part of the town. He told us they still bore a grudge against us from the double year and knocking them out of the cup ! Fucktards

In the return, that dickhead Nick Hancock was in one of the boxes above the Clock End giving it the large one when they scored....only to receive dog's abuse from the Gooners below when we stuffed them 5-2

Ahh...the days when it all seemed to matter !
Jaysus... Nick Hancock! :shock:

I'd actually forgotten that their one "celebrity" fan existed. Whatever happened to that arsehole? Did they eat him? :rubchin:

Grant jones

Post by Grant jones »

Having a night out there any pointers??

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

flash gunner wrote:

Yeah remember that game well and can still see Quinn squeezing the ball in.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Grant jones wrote:Having a night out there any pointers??
Don't.

:wink:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

NickF wrote:or just don't wear colours and go to any pub you like :D
And pretend you are deaf and dumb and point to the beer of your choice, fear gawd sake don't open your gob and say "pint of lager and a packet of crisps pleeeeze "