Europa League (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Europa League

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 am
According from my German spies, the Koln Ultras do not take kindly to Britishers or the Irish, so watch your backs!.... :shock:
Yeaaah and just remember Don't Mention The War!. :barscarf: Either of them! :barscarf: :barscarf: :lol:
Especially as, after all that effort in two world wars by your lot, ze Germans now rule Europe. :shock:

#longview

:lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
According from my German spies, the Koln Ultras do not take kindly to Britishers or the Irish, so watch your backs!.... :shock:
Yeaaah and just remember Don't Mention The War!. :barscarf: Either of them! :barscarf: :barscarf: :lol:
Especially as, after all that effort in two world wars by your lot, ze Germans now rule Europe. :shock:

#longview

There is a certain irony at play isn't there. Oh well, I suppose you just can't keep a good master race down.
:shock: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

There is a certain irony at play isn't there. Oh well, I suppose you just can't keep a good master race down.
:lol: :lol:

Add to that the French (who had basically a lucky 1-1 draw in WW1 and then had their ass handed to them amid relegation during WW2) now co-ruling Europe with ze Germans. :shock:

Irony indeed. :rubchin:

:wink: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Talking of which and apologies for going a little off topic, but there seems to be an unquestioning acceptance that Germany does indeed govern the EU, if not Europe in general. Listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing Blair's latest bullshit about the UK getting an agreement on controls over free movement and thereby, possibly remaining in the EU.

A guy said that it's an impossibility, because Mrs Merkel has made it clear that free movement is fundamentally integral to the Union and that there's no way she will accept any compromise on it. I wondered if anyone would raise the point that leapt into my mind......why should she be the sole arbiter, what about the govts of the other 27, in fact, what about the opinions of the EU bureaucracy in Brussels ??

Nope, no such comment from anyone, just clear, unspoken acknowledgement that Angela calls the shots. Deutschland uber alles.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

Add to that the French (who had basically a lucky 1-1 draw in WW1 and then had their ass handed to them amid relegation during WW2) now co-ruling Europe with ze Germans. :shock:

Co-ruling, or being crafty, compliant lap dogs. I suspect our Gallic cousins have decided to toe the line, for fear of the Hun eyeing up Alsace again !

I wonder if Arsene would flip flop and discover his German roots ("Wenger"...... :rubchin: Doesn't sound particularly French to me). I did once read that his father fought for the Germans during the war. Apparently, after steaming in, the Germans decided that as Alsace was rightfully theirs, the men of Alsace would be conscripted. I wonder if Ivan and Dick Law handled the transfers ??!

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

They can having Europe, were not in it anymore :wink:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am
Talking of which and apologies for going a little off topic, but there seems to be an unquestioning acceptance that Germany does indeed govern the EU, if not Europe in general. Listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing Blair's latest bullshit about the UK getting an agreement on controls over free movement and thereby, possibly remaining in the EU.

A guy said that it's an impossibility, because Mrs Merkel has made it clear that free movement is fundamentally integral to the Union and that there's no way she will accept any compromise on it. I wondered if anyone would raise the point that leapt into my mind......why should she be the sole arbiter, what about the govts of the other 27, in fact, what about the opinions of the EU bureaucracy in Brussels ??

Nope, no such comment from anyone, just clear, unspoken acknowledgement that Angela calls the shots. Deutschland uber alles.
If Wenger doesn't "move upstairs" to control the new manager, they can give his job to Merkel. One dictator replaces another, a seamless transition.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am

And that old chap is why I ran at full speed to vote BREXIT. I would've voted twice if I could :lol:

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

ze germans, trailblazers for free movement across borders in the 40's

Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm still pissed off that we won't give this competition any respect. I want to win the fucker :banghead:

greengooner wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
And please no renditions of "The Dambusters" with grown men making out as Lancasters!...
And don't let them know where the picture of the Madonna with the big boobies is!..... :shock:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

greengooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Sean wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm
I'm still pissed off that we won't give this competition any respect. I want to win the fucker :banghead:

greengooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

#longview

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes and you would have thought the French would have built the Maginot line through the Ardennes as they snuck through the forest.... :D

Sean

Post by Sean »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Yes and you would have thought the French would have built the Maginot line through the Ardennes as they snuck through the forest.... :D
That was to protect Belgian neutrality :proudtosay:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Sean wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 pm

That was to protect Belgian neutrality :proudtosay:

Yep, after WWl, the French built the Maginot line along the German border and sat back thinking "that'll keep the bastards out"..............1939, the Germans went around it as Allguns says. :lol:

Mind you, we had possibly our biggest military embarrassment with a similar fuck up in Singapore. All our huge guns were positioned pointing out to sea, as we thought that was the only possible attack route, there being dense jungle inland. Only one problem.....no one told the Japs that they couldn't get to Singapore by land......they came through the jungle on pushbikes !!! :shock: